Discogs - Help, Tricks, Secrets And Tips

i've got this two-track, unlabeled cd-r in a white cardsleeve that is professionally produced (inner markings indicate KJRY) that i received from a member of the band violent soho way back in 2009 at a raveonettes/black angels show they were opening at here. "violent soho" is handwritten on the front, and "12th Nov / 7th St. Entry" is handwritten on the back, which was to promote their own show that was here just a couple weeks later.

is this even worth adding to discogs at all? i have to imagine there are other identical copies out there, perhaps with different handwriting on the sleeve but the same promo cd-r. if this was a cd-r the band made on their own computer with memorex discs or something i'd feel like it wouldn't even be a question to add it, but since this cd-r was professionally done with identifiable codes that maybe it should be?

thoughts?

I've got a question which I havent come across before. Any reason why a record would be shown as unsold (no median etc) in my 'collection' but sold with a median etc when I go onto its actual page?

The example below is what im referring to. In theory the price (a whopping £700) should be showing between the "Modern Jazz Quartet" and "About 1 Year Ago".

Screenshot 2023-03-30 at 20.12.11.pngScreenshot 2023-03-30 at 20.12.22.png

I've got a question which I havent come across before. Any reason why a record would be shown as unsold (no median etc) in my 'collection' but sold with a median etc when I go onto its actual page?

The example below is what im referring to. In theory the price (a whopping £700) should be showing between the "Modern Jazz Quartet" and "About 1 Year Ago".

View attachment 170730View attachment 170732
Guessing but it was sold and then order was refunded/canceled?

Question about selling to Canada:

I've been selling LPs and CDs on Discogs for two years - US only. I finally decided to (possibly!) start selling in other countries. Seems like the easiest place to begin is Canada.

Any advice on setting shipping rates? Shipping policies?

Is Japan the next "easiest" country to ship to?

I've read that using Pirateship for shipping to Canada is a no-brainer. Anything I need to know before jumping in?

THANKS in advance.

Question about selling to Canada:

I've been selling LPs and CDs on Discogs for two years - US only. I finally decided to (possibly!) start selling in other countries. Seems like the easiest place to begin is Canada.

Any advice on setting shipping rates? Shipping policies?

Is Japan the next "easiest" country to ship to?

I've read that using Pirateship for shipping to Canada is a no-brainer. Anything I need to know before jumping in?

THANKS in advance.
Pirate is good about rates but not exact; the usps will sometimes retroactively charge you what you owe. I haven't had this with international but with something they said wasn't mediamail when it was. Mailing to Canada is like 25 ish USD for a 2lb record mailer which is around 2 to 4 LPs well-packed.

In "holy cow what a small world" news, I just sold a record on Cogs to my parents' nextdoor neighbor. Quick and easy way to save on shipping!

Neither of us knew each other was into vinyl.
Do you live close to your parents? Is this a situation where you save on Discogs transaction fees/shipping and just drop it by their home?

Do you live close to your parents? Is this a situation where you save on Discogs transaction fees/shipping and just drop it by their home?
I live about 3 hours from them, but they're visiting next weekend so they'll be making the delivery for me. Refunded the shipping.

Still blown away by the coincidence.

fee for selling is goin up

Dear sellers,

Discogs has made significant investments in recent years to ensure compliance with various regulatory programs, including tax support and privacy protection. These efforts have ensured a trusted international marketplace for buying and selling music, but they also come with real costs to provide these valuable services.

After careful consideration, we are updating our selling fee for the first time in over 10 years. The selling fee will change from 8% to 9% on May 22, 2023. The new 9% selling fee applies to both the item and shipping costs. It is still free to list items for sale.

This increase will help us continue to devote resources to maintaining the Discogs Marketplace and develop better tools for collecting, selling, and enjoying music. However, we understand that any adjustment to fees can be disruptive and we are here to help you navigate the change:

• One of the easiest things you can do to avoid any negative impact on your business’s margins is to increase the price of the items in your inventory by a percentage. See the complete pricing guide, including calculations that illustrate the impact that the new selling fee will have on your prices.
  • Discogs also introduced a new inventory management feature that allows you to increase all of the prices on your items for sale at one time. Learn more about this feature and other helpful inventory tools.

We will share more tips and suggestions leading up to the selling fee change on May 22, 2023. In the meantime, read more about how to navigate this change in our extensive FAQ. If you have additional questions, please contact Discogs Support.

Regards,
Discogs

I mean, some people are by charging a reasonable price for the record and then $15 for what should be media mail shipping...
Yeah I've seen people put their price at the lowest so they'd show up first, then shipping is like $50. Seems discogs is trying to stick it to them but everyone gets screwed by it.

Back