Discogs - Help, Tricks, Secrets And Tips

Charging fees on the shipping too is just damn shady. No one is profiting off their bloody shipping.

Living over here shipping is just expensive and I doubt anyone is skimming off the top because it’d kill your price.

I dunno. Shipping is mad expensive here too but taking a cross-section of US sellers alone shipping to Canada I've seen it vary from $15-35 for a single LP and that variance has zero to do with distance as they can be from the same city/state and have that much discrepancy.

Now, I get that materials cost money too, but anything over $25 to Canada for a single LP is definitely profiting of shipping.

I dunno. Shipping is mad expensive here too but taking a cross-section of US sellers alone shipping to Canada I've seen it vary from $15-35 for a single LP and that variance has zero to do with distance as they can be from the same city/state and have that much discrepancy.

Now, I get that materials cost money too, but anything over $25 to Canada for a single LP is definitely profiting of shipping.

It’s also very easily policed. The cost of shipping shows on the stamp/shipping label. If it’s higher than what you were charged you report with a picture. There’s a strike system.

It actually also doesn’t even remotely address stopping that as a problem. It’s the opposite. It’s let us get our grubby mits some of the gains from it.

I just find the whole charging a cut on shipping to be so shady as to make me think fuck you cogs as a store.

Last edited:
Oh, and fucking of course they hired an exec from VMP lmao

Billboard:

Lloyd Starr has been appointed COO at Discogs, the recorded music database, marketplace and community, effective May 1. He joins the company from vinyl subscription service Vinyl Me, Please; prior to that, he served as president/COO at digital electronic music marketplace Beatport.

Oh, and fucking of course they hired an exec from VMP lmao

Billboard:

Lloyd Starr has been appointed COO at Discogs, the recorded music database, marketplace and community, effective May 1. He joins the company from vinyl subscription service Vinyl Me, Please; prior to that, he served as president/COO at digital electronic music marketplace Beatport.
Wow! I had not heard about that. What a joke.

I appreciate it, because those sites often give a discount on postage. And shipping costs aren't just the postage. There's also packaging materials and time.

Bottom line is that the buyer knows the price the seller is charging for shipping. If the buyer thinks it's too much, then the buyer can decline the purchase. It's not like these costs are a secret. If anyone cares they can find them on the interwebs

Speaking of shipping, how would I go about this in the discogs/paypal world.

Canadian buyer is requesting a shipping cost, but I only have US shipping available on my terms. I'd like to sell to them, but I have really no idea about how to update a shipping rate for only one record? Or would I say, hey purchase the record and then paypal me the difference on the shipping? Update the record cost to reflect the difference in shipping, but end up eating more on the 8% fee? What's the move here?

Speaking of shipping, how would I go about this in the discogs/paypal world.

Canadian buyer is requesting a shipping cost, but I only have US shipping available on my terms. I'd like to sell to them, but I have really no idea about how to update a shipping rate for only one record? Or would I say, hey purchase the record and then paypal me the difference on the shipping? Update the record cost to reflect the difference in shipping, but end up eating more on the 8% fee? What's the move here?

I'd say pull it and just go back channel, but I understand the risk to your Discogs account if they catch you - which is kinda dumb. I've done that with a couple sellers that don't typically ship up here. I've also just sent the difference through PayPal, but that's not ideal as it incurs another fee. That said if I want the item enough that extra couple of bucks isn't gonna deter me.

I'd say pull it and just go back channel, but I understand the risk to your Discogs account if they catch you - which is kinda dumb. I've done that with a couple sellers that don't typically ship up here. I've also just sent the difference through PayPal, but that's not ideal as it incurs another fee. That said if I want the item enough that extra couple of bucks isn't gonna deter me.
I may as well go back channel after the increase in fees. Come and get this money now ya greedy fucks.

I think don't my shipping labels ever show the cost when I print them at home? Also, are we not supposed to factor shipping materials in our shipping cost? I use Bags Unlimited Mighty Mailers for the benefit of me and the buyer. But they're almost $2 a mailer unless you buy in very large quantities.

@Joe Mac this is America land of no limits capitalism, OF COURSE Americans are making a profit on shipping. Even if you pay two bucks for that nice mailer mentioned above, media mail ain’t costing you $8 here. So the seller makes a tidy 6.60 or so for the shipping. -90 cents to the man that’s still 5.70. More than 100% profit. WHO NEEDS HEALTHCARE AND EDUCATION OR INFRASTRUCTURE?!?! I’M RICH BITCH! IMMA BUY A BOX TRUCK OF GUNS!

You know what’s funny? I don’t sell on cogs so I didn’t get that communication, so most buyers are unaware that they just jacked the rates AND asked you to raise yours AND made it easier for you to do so rather than make improvements all of us have asked for….

That’s what’s really shady.

Back