Discogs - Help, Tricks, Secrets And Tips

Someone sent me an offer on this that's a bit lower than I wanted to see

There are 2 on ebay for $100 each.

Popsike.com shows $72 - $108 in recent years, a few lower in 2019 and earlier.
I have very little into it, and don't want it in my collection. Would you take the offer if it's 2/3 of asking price?
It's only in 7 people's wantlist. I think it's a matter of whether it's worth letting it sit for months, possibly years, just to get an extra 30-40 bucks.

If you filter by sold on eBay none have actually sold. Therefore you essentially would be setting the market by accepting, and thus getting the record outta your sight. Just my 2 pennies.

Someone sent me an offer on this that's a bit lower than I wanted to see

There are 2 on ebay for $100 each.

Popsike.com shows $72 - $108 in recent years, a few lower in 2019 and earlier.
I have very little into it, and don't want it in my collection. Would you take the offer if it's 2/3 of asking price?
Hmmm, 2 have, so low supply, but only 7 want, so not many potential buyers. Considering that, and also that eBay listings are usually overpriced, I would probably take the offer. Or counter with $70, because if they're willing to pay $60, then $70 seems reasonable. Where else are they going to find it?

I bought a couple of records that were priced low earlier today (both were in my wantlist) and I have since noticed that the seller was new and has a lot of others listed (not on my wantlist) all at a similar low price.

I now imagine this is BS, but I should give them the benefit of the doubt, right? How easy would it be to claim this back if it turns out to be a scam? I paid through discogs as per their standard route, with Paypal, so I should be covered right?

I bought a release from a seller recently that had a feedback score of 6. Usually I skip to the next seller w/ a lower price and a bit better score - but looking at those 6 feedbacks it seemed that the seller was good - so I pulled the trigger and had no issues.

They FINALLY added a "holiday" style - for Christmas music - and the like.

To find it - you have to add the "Pop" genre - and then pick the style - and then remove "Pop" if the release isn't actually pop.

To find it - you have to add the "Pop" genre - and then pick the style - and then remove "Pop" if the release isn't actually pop.
Whyyyy can't they just add it to all genres? Not all holiday music is pop jfc they code this website in the worst way possible. Not to mention this recent annoyance. Gotta hit preview/submit, then check the boxes of all the similar releases it's not, then I agree, Submit, unless you accidentally hit the same color Preview / Submit button again then you gotta re-check everything all over.

And don't get me started on how bad the search function is for spelling. Have even one letter wrong and you're screwed.

1677855597044.png

Last edited:
Urgh, having just claimed back on an order I made from what turns out to be a scammer, I now have complete silence from the second that I made with a different seller.

8 days ago I purchased a couple of records from them and haven't heard anything since. Usually, I wouldn't worry that much with such a short space of time, but they haven't updated the status or responded to my messages. They have a decent rating of 96.4% so im really hoping this has just slipped through the net....

Any advice....$50 order. Sent to address provided on Discogs. Pretty sure I wrote it correctly. I'm pretty good about checking over things again (but I do leave it open to me possibly writing address wrong, although doubtful).

On 01 March it went out for delivery and then an alert was posted on tracking saying "Alert: Forward Processed" and a latest update of: "The forward on your item was processed at 10:06 am on March 1, 2023 in SAVANNAH, GA 31401. The item is on its way to the destination."

I messaged the person just to check in and be proactive and asked if they had set up forwarding because that alert was odd since I sent it to their provided address.

They finally hit me back up and said they weren't sure what was going on and hadn't set anything up. I did look up the address and it looks like it is a house that was converted into five apartments. The provided address didn't have any unit number, so maybe some former tenant set up forwarding and it messed with things? I don't know.

They said it looks like the new delivery date is 15 March (I'm not sure where they are seeing that on the tracking) and so they think it is getting rerouted back to me.

So far it is just a conversation. They haven't asked for anything. In fact, they said they might buy some other stuff from me if it gets sent back to me so that is pretty cool. Although I am honestly not optimistic that it is coming back my way. If it gets lost and I sent it to their provided address, any suggestions for best course-of-action?

FWIW, they already left me positive feedback.

This is the tracking if any of y'all are sleuths and see stuff I don't.....

Background on my selling: I am not a business. Mostly just get rid of stuff I don't listen to anymore and try to keep my collection size manageable (okay, it is NOT manageable but still...). Overall the years I've probably sold a few hundred records on ebay (don't really use anymore) and Discogs. I have 100% feedback on both. That is important to me and what it represents....that I am treating people well; as I wish I was always treated as a buyer/collector. I wouldn't wipe my butt with $50 but it is nowhere near a make or break amount for me. For context, I had a guy get a heavily damaged package with a$75-ish record last year. He sent photos and it was obvious USPS got crazy with it and he wasn't trying to pull anything. I gave him a full refund, told him to keep the record and said that, damaged jacket aside, I hope it played well. I'd rather do stuff like that than go back and forth on what percentage refund would be reasonable.

But with this....I don't know. If the buyer comes looking for a refund, I also feel like I lived up to my terms and would feel weird just rolling over for this.

Any advice....$50 order. Sent to address provided on Discogs. Pretty sure I wrote it correctly. I'm pretty good about checking over things again (but I do leave it open to me possibly writing address wrong, although doubtful).

On 01 March it went out for delivery and then an alert was posted on tracking saying "Alert: Forward Processed" and a latest update of: "The forward on your item was processed at 10:06 am on March 1, 2023 in SAVANNAH, GA 31401. The item is on its way to the destination."

I messaged the person just to check in and be proactive and asked if they had set up forwarding because that alert was odd since I sent it to their provided address.

They finally hit me back up and said they weren't sure what was going on and hadn't set anything up. I did look up the address and it looks like it is a house that was converted into five apartments. The provided address didn't have any unit number, so maybe some former tenant set up forwarding and it messed with things? I don't know.

They said it looks like the new delivery date is 15 March (I'm not sure where they are seeing that on the tracking) and so they think it is getting rerouted back to me.

So far it is just a conversation. They haven't asked for anything. In fact, they said they might buy some other stuff from me if it gets sent back to me so that is pretty cool. Although I am honestly not optimistic that it is coming back my way. If it gets lost and I sent it to their provided address, any suggestions for best course-of-action?

FWIW, they already left me positive feedback.

This is the tracking if any of y'all are sleuths and see stuff I don't.....

Background on my selling: I am not a business. Mostly just get rid of stuff I don't listen to anymore and try to keep my collection size manageable (okay, it is NOT manageable but still...). Overall the years I've probably sold a few hundred records on ebay (don't really use anymore) and Discogs. I have 100% feedback on both. That is important to me and what it represents....that I am treating people well; as I wish I was always treated as a buyer/collector. I wouldn't wipe my butt with $50 but it is nowhere near a make or break amount for me. For context, I had a guy get a heavily damaged package with a$75-ish record last year. He sent photos and it was obvious USPS got crazy with it and he wasn't trying to pull anything. I gave him a full refund, told him to keep the record and said that, damaged jacket aside, I hope it played well. I'd rather do stuff like that than go back and forth on what percentage refund would be reasonable.

But with this....I don't know. If the buyer comes looking for a refund, I also feel like I lived up to my terms and would feel weird just rolling over for this.
I get what you're saying, but until the item is delivered to the buyer, whatever happens falls on the seller. This really isn't different than your example where USPS mangled the package. Here, either USPS has screwed up, or someone else entered a forwarding order. Unless you have reason to believe the buyer is doing something shady, I feel like the better course of action would be a refund.

It sucks, but, like you, I have 100 ratings on cogs and ebay, and I wouldn't want to lose that over $50. I'm guessing it was sent with media mail, so no insurance?

I get what you're saying, but until the item is delivered to the buyer, whatever happens falls on the seller. This really isn't different than your example where USPS mangled the package. Here, either USPS has screwed up, or someone else entered a forwarding order. Unless you have reason to believe the buyer is doing something shady, I feel like the better course of action would be a refund.

It sucks, but, like you, I have 100 ratings on cogs and ebay, and I wouldn't want to lose that over $50. I'm guessing it was sent with media mail, so no insurance?
Yea, I don't think they're doing anything shady. Nope no insurance. I add insurance to all orders over $100, at my own cost, but this didn't meet my threshhold.

I kind of figured as much for a refund, but right now the person is being super patient and I kind of needed a vent too, lol. I think it will work out okay...we've actually become kind of friendly talking about music and discussing about it off site (via email) so there is some goodwill there.

Yea, I don't think they're doing anything shady. Nope no insurance. I add insurance to all orders over $100, at my own cost, but this didn't meet my threshhold.

I kind of figured as much for a refund, but right now the person is being super patient and I kind of needed a vent too, lol. I think it will work out okay...we've actually become kind of friendly talking about music and discussing about it off site (via email) so there is some goodwill there.
That's cool, maybe they'll be amenable to sharing some of the loss under these unusual circumstances, good luck

Urgh, having just claimed back on an order I made from what turns out to be a scammer, I now have complete silence from the second that I made with a different seller.

8 days ago I purchased a couple of records from them and haven't heard anything since. Usually, I wouldn't worry that much with such a short space of time, but they haven't updated the status or responded to my messages. They have a decent rating of 96.4% so im really hoping this has just slipped through the net....
So this is infuriating. I placed the order and paid 8 days ago. I messaged the seller again earlier just to say that I was concerned that there hasn't been any communication from them since then and that the next step would have to be for me to get Discogs involved.

Fast forward to this evening and I get a full refund from them and an explanation that they have since accepted a different offer on a bunch of their records, including the 2 that I ordered, and that they could no longer fulfil my order.

I know I won't be getting the records now but surely this isn't a cool move at all? At the point of sale surely they are now my records. Very annoyed as they arent records that appear for sale in the UK so I wont be getting them any time soon.

So this is infuriating. I placed the order and paid 8 days ago. I messaged the seller again earlier just to say that I was concerned that there hasn't been any communication from them since then and that the next step would have to be for me to get Discogs involved.

Fast forward to this evening and I get a full refund from them and an explanation that they have since accepted a different offer on a bunch of their records, including the 2 that I ordered, and that they could no longer fulfil my order.

I know I won't be getting the records now but surely this isn't a cool move at all? At the point of sale surely they are now my records. Very annoyed as they arent records that appear for sale in the UK so I wont be getting them any time soon.
I’d go negative feedback. If they retaliate you can get it removed by discogs

FWIW, since I’m getting rid of my entire collection, I’ve been selling a LOT on Discogs the last few months. A word of advice….use Pirate Ship for your shipping needs. It‘s free, you can automatically import your sale from Discogs so it populates the address. If you want to add insurance, they use ShipSurance, which is CHEAP, I think it cost me 75 cents to insure a $30 record, and if anything happens, you get reimbursed really fast with very little hassle. Lastly, they give prices for every possible shipping option, and they’re the same (or cheaper) than going through USPS or Discogs.

and the best part, they use pirate lingo whenever they email you.

Yeah I’d definitely be leaving negative feedback. Those were yours.

I won't sell anything for like a month and then suddenly, two random orders will come in within a day of each other. More often than not they are also in the same state. This time both were in the same damn Burrough of New York. I had a spate of Vermont, California, and Chicago too.

I'm also almost guaranteed that as soon as a put my lacking materials back in the crawlspace someone places another order.

Back