Discogs - Help, Tricks, Secrets And Tips

Soo... What's the deal with this new RSD tag?

who knows...I'm not a fan, but I added the tag to all my releases - pretty much so all the messages will stop.

While I don't think it is a necessary tag, I don't find it all that big of a deal.

My only issue with it is where it is placed in the format line - it should be at the end with the Limited/Special Edition tags - not before "Single" or "Compilation"

And I get all the "it's not a format" comments, but the format line is made up a "format", which is the audio carrier, and then various descriptions of that format. "Limited Edition" isn't a format either.

That being said - if we have to have a way to separate out RSD releases, I'd rather see them as a series, or Exclusive Retailer than having the tag.

A series could be made for each year - RSD12 releases could be their own series....and so on.

This still wouldn't be well liked, but I think I've seen more people in the forum wanting this than the tag.

who knows...I'm not a fan, but I added the tag to all my releases - pretty much so all the messages will stop.

While I don't think it is a necessary tag, I don't find it all that big of a deal.

My only issue with it is where it is placed in the format line - it should be at the end with the Limited/Special Edition tags - not before "Single" or "Compilation"

And I get all the "it's not a format" comments, but the format line is made up a "format", which is the audio carrier, and then various descriptions of that format. "Limited Edition" isn't a format either.

That being said - if we have to have a way to separate out RSD releases, I'd rather see them as a series, or Exclusive Retailer than having the tag.

A series could be made for each year - RSD12 releases could be their own series....and so on.

This still wouldn't be well liked, but I think I've seen more people in the forum wanting this than the tag.
So it's an actual box to check now under format? Not FTF?

Great, now we're all going to have to card catalog our record collections!
Hey we invented online catalogues about 30 years before Discogs was even an idea.

I entered a grand total of 1 entry into Discogs about 15yrs ago just to have a little shit try and school me on the difference between format and edition. Nope, don't need to put up that sort of crap when I paid to do it for a living.

Wait.....we're supposed to read those messages?

I skim them to see what was edited...you don't have to.

I like to know what was added - if it was correct - if the user knows what they are doing.

I'm more involved than most users that use Discogs as just a place to list what they have. I'm more about the data I suppose.

Between the RSD tag and the "holiday" style added a few days ago, there have been a lot of mass messages being sent out.

But since I took care of all my RSD releases, they aren't getting sent in various increments.

Got some recent MOFI Miles Davis purchases and it looks like they've added the sourcing information to the back of the jacket on this most recent run. Is that difference enough for a new Discogs listing?

Fuck the discogs editor!

I just added 20 credits with about 8 new artists. Now it's giving an error for missing credit name, missing credit! There are zero empty cells! :mad:
It won't tell me where the missing segment is, either!

Edit: Thankfully I figured out to open a new browser page, then systematically delete a credit and preview/submit to see changes. Fortunately it was only the third credit in the list that was the offending one.

Last edited:
Another DIscogs "issue" that I could use some advice on from you lovely people.

I went to place an order from a seller that has the shipping stated as being France. All good. As soon as I go to pay its showing "Standard - Russian Post". I have messaged the seller to ask where the item is coming from, but I thought items from Russia had been banned for sale? And even if they arent, I believe there has been quite a large tax added following the conflict?

Last edited:
Back