Discogs - Help, Tricks, Secrets And Tips

What's this about a size limit? That might force me into separate accounts.

If you have a collection of 2500 or more the collection format is still the old version - not the new update - since I don't have it I don't really know much about it - other than most people either hate it or like it.

So just bought a used record on Discogs that had the sleeve listed as NM and arrived with a 3 plus inch seam split on top (and was sent without being in an outer sleeve). Assuming the vinyl is as described otherwise - thoughts on appropriate resolution?

So just bought a used record on Discogs that had the sleeve listed as NM and arrived with a 3 plus inch seam split on top (and was sent without being in an outer sleeve). Assuming the vinyl is as described otherwise - thoughts on appropriate resolution?

If the record is as described, IMO a full return would be unnecessary for both sides, but a partial refund is warranted.

Folders here, too. I started splitting my vinyl into sizes, and also LP no sleeve, and Sleeve no LP. (naming needs to be fixed)
I am in no way even close to caught up cataloging everything! I have over 1,000 CDs and who knows how many records.

Screen shot 2019-10-08 at 10.09.39 PM.png

Shipping question:

Any tips on cheaper shipping from USA to Brazil? My buyers said HumanHeadNYC only charges $12 for a 45rpm 7in single. I can’t find any rates that cheap.

To answer my own question, if it helps others: I bought shipping via Discogs, and it came out to $17.95.

I sold a sealed record and it turns out that there is 2 copies of LP 1 in the record. I offered the buyer a refund minus shipping if he returns it to me. I would have thought that was fair if I was on the buyer's end. I'm not keen on too much of a discount if he wants to keep it....I offered 30% if he wants to keep it. I sold it for the retail price, which was half of any other listing, not that I think that matters.

I really should have opened it first, I learned my lesson there.

Any thoughts?

What would you do if the buyer reported a defect?
I have always wondered about this too...I always ask if the buyer wants me to open it mostly to prevent seam splits when shipping and every time the person has wanted me to open it. This has mostly happened with newer records though. I think what you offered is pretty fair. It’s not your fault that the record had a manufacturers defect.

I'd wondered for a bit why the value of my collection yo-yos around so much and I realised it must be the £-$ exchange rate primarily. The relative optimism on Brexit today has just cost me £1,000 on my collection from yesterday! Crazy stuff...
EDIT: three days of Brexit optimism took off £3,000 from my collection!

Last edited:
So...it looks like they reverted the new collection view and Tracks for everyone.

nik 2 days ago

Hi all,

I am sorry to have to inform you that we are having to turn off two Discogs features that we have been experimenting with over the last year - the Tracks feature, and the updated Collection feature. The reason for both are technical challenges in making the features stable and fast enough for us to run reliably for everyone.

I realise this may disappoint many of you. It is very disappointing for us as well. However, we have learned a lot from your feedback and usage of both features, and plan to bring them back in improved and stable forms in the not too distant future.

Thank you for your feedback and enthusiasm for the 20-year Discogs project: the best music database and marketplace in the world. We are committed to the continued success of Discogs and everyone who uses it.

Nik and the Discogs team.

Some of you that liked the new collection features may want to check out Dashboard | Ogger Club V1

It uses the API, so you allow your Discogs account to use it...not login to a third party.

It may not be exactly like how the new collection was, but may have some features you like.

I haven't used it much, as I didn't find the features worth the load times....as it's a lot slower than just using Discogs. But I may give it some time.

Last edited:
So...it looks like they reverted the new collection view and Tracks for everyone.

Some of you that liked the new collection features may want to check out Dashboard | Ogger Club V1

It uses the API, so you allow your Discogs account to use it...not login to a third party.

It may not be exactly like how the new collection was, but may have some features you like.

I haven't used it much, as I didn't find the features worth the load times....as it's a lot slower than just using Discogs. But I may give it some time.

I was wondering why my collection changed back. Bummer.

is there a way to look at your activity history beyond the last five things that appear in the dashboard box? namely, i'd like to see what i've removed.

is there a way to look at your activity history beyond the last five things that appear in the dashboard box? namely, i'd like to see what i've removed.

Nope...I haven't seen any way of retrieving this info...as I've removed things inadvertently many times.

I wish there was a way to create a backup/import type system, but all they do is now is a spreadsheet export - that doesn't give a whole lot of info last I checked.

I am a complete newbie but I'm having a lot of early luck so far. In almost all cases the going rate is roughly double what I paid for things so I am generally fine with pricing my items at just under the lowest current listing that matches my grading level. I've been giving regular reviews and adjusting prices as needed to maintain this rank. I try to do this aoround Friday and I assume it causes my listings to pop up on wantlist notification emails just in time for the weekend. I get a ton of weekend orders, at any rate.

So I have used Discogs for the last couple of years as my default sort order for my collection storage. Sometime in the last few weeks it started sorting my collection differently, including the "The" as part of the sort. The result is now The Beatles, The Kills, etc.... Are all sorted in the T's. This is super annoying, is this one of the mentioned collection features that was rolled back or is there some setting that I maybe messed up?

So I have used Discogs for the last couple of years as my default sort order for my collection storage. Sometime in the last few weeks it started sorting my collection differently, including the "The" as part of the sort. The result is now The Beatles, The Kills, etc.... Are all sorted in the T's. This is super annoying, is this one of the mentioned collection features that was rolled back or is there some setting that I maybe messed up?

Something in the database must have messed up. This used to be the way it sorted "The" bands, but was fixed years ago. Not sure why it has come back.

That being said, my collection is listed correctly. The Beatles being in the B's.

This could be some glitch with reverting to the old collection format....and since I never had the new format it could be why mine is still correct.

Are you seeing this in the app or the web site? I saw a thread that it may be a glitch with the Android version of the app.

Something in the database must have messed up. This used to be the way it sorted "The" bands, but was fixed years ago. Not sure why it has come back.

That being said, my collection is listed correctly. The Beatles being in the B's.

This could be some glitch with reverting to the old collection format....and since I never had the new format it could be why mine is still correct.

Are you seeing this in the app or the web site? I saw a thread that it may be a glitch with the Android version of the app.

Ahhhh.. Interesting. It is in the app and on an android phone.

Wow, less than 30 minutes after I made a new submission, its already posted for sale! Not even enough time to listen to the whole album 😆 (I know that's probably not the seller's intent) ... and no, I am not selling mine :)

Sometimes, I think contributors should get a commission. LOL

It's the latest Blue Note Tone Poet...

Back