Discogs - Help, Tricks, Secrets And Tips

I am unable to vote on this one, but I don't have this Lou Reed record. Would there be any sort of notification of voting rights removal? I don't think I've done anything that required "adjustment." If I did, I'd like to know why.

You could try to add it to your collection and see if that triggers anything.

Anyone want to give these another go?

Some of you may have this one now...

And merging this one with a different sub (the other one went through)

Just reported a flipper on Discogs for selling "not actual item".

The flipper listed the release on both the US and European Pressing page. Listed as Autographed by band and is selling for an extortionate rate.

I'm a assuming he only has the US release, especially since it ships from the United States and the Album just dropped 6 days ago.

I noticed that Discogs gave me no way to comment that the same signed copy is being listed under both the US and European pressing. It just gave me a warning when I submitted the report that a malicious report could result in the suspension of my account.

Is it best practice to report items flippers list across all variants?

Just following up on what actually happens when you submit a report on a seller / listed item? The item is still listed and I have received no messages or follow up.

Just following up on what actually happens when you submit a report on a seller / listed item? The item is still listed and I have received no messages or follow up.
Can this actually be proved? Seems to be that the item would have to be sold, and feedback given by buyer that it's not the actual item listed. Assumptions likely fall to the bottom of the discogs queue.

May help if you list out the items and we could give some opinions on the matter.

Can this actually be proved? Seems to be that the item would have to be sold, and feedback given by buyer that it's not the actual item listed. Assumptions likely fall to the bottom of the discogs queue.

May help if you list out the items and we could give some opinions on the matter.

Hmm, actually, It looks like since I looked earlier today it's no longer listed on the US Pressing. The release was Jade Jackson - Wilderness

The autographed copy is still listed under the European pressing that ships from the U.S.

I reported it because the seller listed it both on the US and European pressing at the same time which seamed suspicious / not likely.

so I bought this record graded as M/NM that turned out to be more like VG+/VG (at best), and the seller agrees to refund the price of the record but not the shipping - which essentially means that I have to pay for it twice? is this a common practice? thanks!

Hey peeps - about to start selling a few records and I'm worried about how to start getting a decent rating given the minefield that is Discogs.

A few questions:
1. Is split seams really a significant concern for buyers?
2. If YES, should I offer to open the record for potential buyers for instances where I have a new sealed copy to check for split seams ... or not?
3. What about giving the album a spin? I had an awesome fellow N&G guy pull out of selling De La Soul is Dead VMP reissue because a dimple on side C made a pulse for a few rounds. I was SO appreciative of that - but could Discogs buyers then cause me issues vs sending a sealed copy?

Hey peeps - about to start selling a few records and I'm worried about how to start getting a decent rating given the minefield that is Discogs.

A few questions:
1. Is split seams really a significant concern for buyers?
2. If YES, should I offer to open the record for potential buyers for instances where I have a new sealed copy to check for split seams ... or not?
3. What about giving the album a spin? I had an awesome fellow N&G guy pull out of selling De La Soul is Dead VMP reissue because a dimple on side C made a pulse for a few rounds. I was SO appreciative of that - but could Discogs buyers then cause me issues vs sending a sealed copy?
1. I would mention any defect in the jacket, album or inner sleeve.
2. I wouldn't open a sealed copy to check for defects, list what you can see.
3. If it's an open album, I would give it a test spin and then be honest.

The only problem with selling anything that has a strong attachment to condition is that everyone has their own opinion of what each grade means and how it effects your selling price. I would just be as detailed and honest with your listing and you should be fine ;)

so I bought this record graded as M/NM that turned out to be more like VG+/VG (at best), and the seller agrees to refund the price of the record but not the shipping - which essentially means that I have to pay for it twice? is this a common practice? thanks!
It is in a lot of places, not just Cogs. I would look at what your cost will be paying for shipping twice compared to what the album cost you......if those numbers are close, I would just keep it and rate the seller accordingly.

Meaning if you paid, lets say $10 for an album and you'll need to pay for shipping a second time, you're paying the price of the album in shipping alone (assuming $5 shipping), so why bother? Just my opinion of course ;)

It is in a lot of places, not just Cogs. I would look at what your cost will be paying for shipping twice compared to what the album cost you......if those numbers are close, I would just keep it and rate the seller accordingly.

Meaning if you paid, lets say $10 for an album and you'll need to pay for shipping a second time, you're paying the price of the album in shipping alone (assuming $5 shipping), so why bother? Just my opinion of course ;)

yeah there's no such thing as $5 shipping here in Canada but I see your point. thank you!

@TenderLovingKiller® you gonna let Turntable Lab publicly SHAME you on discogs like that?
LOL. Bah, we straight. Their “series” tags were disorganized and I was bored last night and figured I would tidy them up a bit. They came at me like I was an idiot initially but I let them know as far as I could see maybe 5 of the releases where part of their TTL Institut Audio series and the rest were just exclusive presses and that just because it was an exclusive pressing didn’t mean it necessarily needed a series tag. Lots of record stores put out their own exclusives and they aren’t part of a series. They cleaned up the numbers so now at least they make sense and honestly that’s all my OCD ever wanted anyhow.

Last edited:
LOL. Bah, we straight. Their “series” tags were disorganized and I was bored last night and figured I would tidy them up a bit. They came at me like I was an idiot initially but I let them know as far as I could see maybe 5 of the releases where part of their TTL Institut Audio series and the rest were just exclusive presses and that just because it was an exclusive pressing didn’t mean it necessarily a series tag. Lots of record stores put out their own exclusives and they aren’t part of a series. They cleaned up the numbers so now at least they make sense and honestly that’s all my OCD ever wanted anyhow.
Whoever runs that account needs to get off their high horse. I've seen them add their releases before when that release has clearly already been added. Then you've got to go through the whole merge process.

Whoever runs that account needs to get off their high horse. I've seen them add their releases before when that release has clearly already been added. Then you've got to go through the whole merge process.
Totally agree, they also have a tough time just including the square album art photo with a lot of these releases. I appreciate them being “proactive” creating entries and providing release info but discogs is ultimately a community driven site. Maybe everyone isn’t going to agree with their assessments. I mean I wasn’t pulling the series numbers out of my ass I went to their site and sorted their exclusive releases by oldest to newest. My combine list was much more on point than their 2 separate series lists but that’s water under the bridge at this point.

Got a bad Needs Minor Changes vote tonight....if anyone wants to vote correct to swing it the other way please feel free....

Back