Discogs - Help, Tricks, Secrets And Tips

Why don't y'all tell me how in god's green earth you can set your wish list notifications to only include those offerings from a specified currency. I've deleted 9,000 emails because every damned one of them is trying to sell me records that cost a damn arm and a leg to ship and the exchange rate means I'm paying well over sticker price too. What I want to see is when someone in my own fucking country has that record for a competitve price which is basically never which is exactly how often I want to see those emails.

I don't think it is something that can be filtered that way. Probably best would be to add a specific pressing to your wantlist from the country the currency you want to use is in, rather than wantlisting the whole master that includes any/all releases.

Personally, I hated getting all the messages and stopped using the wantlist a long time ago.

Here's a "secret" that few seem to know...

If you make a new submission, take a picture of your physical copy and upload it.
Think we can chalk this up to laziness. I will say that some of the pictures I see on the new submissions though... I'd rather the person just not have taken a picture at all.

Think we can chalk this up to laziness. I will say that some of the pictures I see on the new submissions though... I'd rather the person just not have taken a picture at all.

I suppose you are right.
It's not that I care about following the guidelines exactly. Its that someone puts an internet image, then someone disables it and cites the guidelines, then the original poster re-enables in and states "it the real image." and round and round we go. All of that could be eliminated if the original poster either did not take an image or uploaded an image themselves. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I suppose you are right.
It's not that I care about following the guidelines exactly. Its that someone puts an internet image, then someone disables it and cites the guidelines, then the original poster re-enables in and states "it the real image." and round and round we go. All of that could be eliminated if the original poster either did not take an image or uploaded an image themselves. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
If you add a listing prior to the release date you have to upload a pic of the item in hand otherwise it is subject to immediate removal

What is the proper thing to do when a vinyl was advertised as "seafoam green" but the type sticker on the shipped product reads "coke bottle green"?

I went with what the hype sticker said. However, a few people disagree and have been commenting about it.

What is the proper thing to do when a vinyl was advertised as "seafoam green" but the type sticker on the shipped product reads "coke bottle green"?

I went with what the hype sticker said. However, a few people disagree and have been commenting about it.

I think it is supposed to be the major color first, then whatever else you would like to describe it as. So Green Coke Bottle (or whatever you think it is). I would describe what the record actually is, imho.

I wanted to ask a little bit of advice on a discogs situation. I sold a pretty high-value record recently and just got a message from the seller saying that it arrived with bent corners and that it looks warped. I played it through before selling and did not notice any warping, I would not have sold it if I had. Also I pack things very securely and have never had any issues with damaged records before. I sell fairly often, four other packages went out the same day as the one in question.

What next steps should I take? I asked for a video of the warp. Should I offer a partial refund? I usually accept some damage to a record sleeve as long as it appears as though it was packed with care. I have 100% positive feedback, so I don't want to mess that up with this order.

I wanted to ask a little bit of advice on a discogs situation. I sold a pretty high-value record recently and just got a message from the seller saying that it arrived with bent corners and that it looks warped. I played it through before selling and did not notice any warping, I would not have sold it if I had. Also I pack things very securely and have never had any issues with damaged records before. I sell fairly often, four other packages went out the same day as the one in question.

What next steps should I take? I asked for a video of the warp. Should I offer a partial refund? I usually accept some damage to a record sleeve as long as it appears as though it was packed with care. I have 100% positive feedback, so I don't want to mess that up with this order.
I would ask for some evidence, I would frame it as I want to see what happen so I can address it with you and for any future sells.

It depends on the release, but something like "seafoam green" or "coke bottle green" would be Green Translucent [Seafoam Green]

For your example, I would go with what is on the release - Green Translucent [Coke Bottle Green] - then make a note that it was advertised as Seafoam Green. For most submissions, what is on the release is what is documented and takes precedent.

The color and type of coloring (swirl, marbled, split, splatter) comes first then whatever "fancy" name they use for it that isn't a color goes in brackets.

This is the forum discussion that started this -

And the link to the staff post that I use when changing colors in the FTF -

I just did this yesterday to add the [Moth] to the FTF on the Silence Of The Lambs S/T

Yellow And Black Swirl With White Splatter [Moth]

https://www.discogs.com/release/137...inal-Motion-Picture-Soundtrack/history#latest

Last edited:
Just reported a flipper on Discogs for selling "not actual item".

The flipper listed the release on both the US and European Pressing page. Listed as Autographed by band and is selling for an extortionate rate.

I'm a assuming he only has the US release, especially since it ships from the United States and the Album just dropped 6 days ago.

I noticed that Discogs gave me no way to comment that the same signed copy is being listed under both the US and European pressing. It just gave me a warning when I submitted the report that a malicious report could result in the suspension of my account.

Is it best practice to report items flippers list across all variants?

Anyone want to vote on this merge...need some yes votes so I can get to adding some stuff to the sub.

Anyone want to vote on this merge...need some yes votes so I can get to adding some stuff to the sub.

I'm guessing you need to have the release in your collection to be able to vote right? I don't seem to have the ability to vote, only comment on this release. I can see the yes votes though.

I'm guessing you need to have the release in your collection to be able to vote right? I don't seem to have the ability to vote, only comment on this release. I can see the yes votes though.

Voting rights are given out rather arbitrarily - using Discogs and making edits will eventually give you the right to vote on submissions. You don't need to own something to be able to vote on it.

Voting rights are given out rather arbitrarily - using Discogs and making edits will eventually give you the right to vote on submissions. You don't need to own something to be able to vote on it.

I know I have voted on several things before. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I know I have voted on several things before. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Can you currently vote on other submissions? I know voting rights can be taken away, too.

"It can be removed if you don't vote, if you make bad judgments, if you are abusive, or if the system needs to be adjusted."

Can you currently vote on other submissions? I know voting rights can be taken away, too.

"It can be removed if you don't vote, if you make bad judgments, if you are abusive, or if the system needs to be adjusted."

I am unable to vote on this one, but I don't have this Lou Reed record. Would there be any sort of notification of voting rights removal? I don't think I've done anything that required "adjustment." If I did, I'd like to know why.

I am unable to vote on this one, but I don't have this Lou Reed record. Would there be any sort of notification of voting rights removal? I don't think I've done anything that required "adjustment." If I did, I'd like to know why.

I am able to vote on merging releases I don't own, so I don't understand why others here can't.

Back