Discogs - Help, Tricks, Secrets And Tips

Any way to get smarter notifications for listings of records in your want list? Theres a few albums I'd like that are listed at reasonable prices, but the shipping is ridiculous. Would be good to get notified when one goes up from my own country or at least one I can afford to ship from.

Any way to get smarter notifications for listings of records in your want list? Theres a few albums I'd like that are listed at reasonable prices, but the shipping is ridiculous. Would be good to get notified when one goes up from my own country or at least one I can afford to ship from.

i guess they dont let you choose shipping to australia though.

Last edited:

i guess they dont let you choose shipping to australia though.
Thanks. Close enough for now, at least I will know when any new ones are listed and I can check manually. Partial automation is better than just checking every few days while nothing changes.

Yeah, Discops will hit US only but I can vouch for its effectiveness. Snagged several mid-day uploads due to it and depending on how bad you want it the shipping could still be worth it. Of note, it's a one-time alert (I think), so if one pops up and you want to continue tracking you need to re-upload the alert request

You could also try Distill. I haven't used it but by my understanding it is a Chrome application/extension that will notify you when a page's material updates, which should hypothetically work for a marketplace listing? Just a thought.

Edit: Attaching a screen grab of what Discops sends for an alert via email - no emails except these and verifying an alert was set up

Screenshot_20210219-104454.png

Last edited:
Yeah, Discops will hit US only but I can vouch for its effectiveness. Snagged several mid-day uploads due to it and depending on how bad you want it the shipping could still be worth it. Of note, it's a one-time alert (I think), so if one pops up and you want to continue tracking you need to re-upload the alert request

You could also try Distill. I haven't used it but by my understanding it is a Chrome application/extension that will notify you when a page's material updates, which should hypothetically work for a marketplace listing? Just a thought.
Yea I use Distill. It works great for now because since I'm working from home, I just have it running in the background on my computer so I immediately see an alert. If you're out and about a lot, and don't want to pay for it, probably not the best solution. If you pay you can get texts and unlimited emails when something changes on a web page. Free version only gives you a certain amount of emails per month which is easy to burn through. With Distill for Discogs, you would get an alert ANY time something changes. So if someone buys a listed copy, or adds an expensive copy, or changes a price, you'll still get an alert.

So I've already seen a few dust ups about the AP 200g represses being 180g, what's the opinion around here on if they should be the same listing or not?

I'm leaning towards the same listing with a note "available in 220/180g"

So I've already seen a few dust ups about the AP 200g represses being 180g, what's the opinion around here on if they should be the same listing or not?

They should be separate. I think most other pressings are separated into 200g vs 180g represses. They are different and if I was buying one on discogs, I'd want to know if I'm buying the 200g or the 180g.

They should be separate. I think most other pressings are separated into 200g vs 180g represses. They are different and if I was buying one on discogs, I'd want to know if I'm buying the 200g or the 180g.
I know there's gonna be some back and forth on these, the Head Hunter repress had a new sticker on the sleeve that said 180g, I don't think they're using those anymore. My Doors APs don't have any indication on any of the stickers that it's 180g, it's only on the LP description on AS, so there's gonna be some confusion and arguing, lol

Last edited:
I know there's gonna be some back and forth on these, the Head Hunter repress had a new sticker on the sleeve that said 180g, I don't think their using those anymore. My Doors APs don't have any indication on any of the stickers that it's 180g, it's only on the LP description on AS, so there's gonna be some confusion and arguing, lol
I believe the Jimi Hendrix reissues are both 200g and now 180 and have different listings.

I believe the Jimi Hendrix reissues are both 200g and now 180 and have different listings.
Oh, I'm not saying it shouldn't be that way, just saying knowing the "rooted" Cogs folks, there's gonna be dust ups depending on the album in question. Head Hunters has two listings. Part of the conversation was that the HH repress has a label on it stating 180g, which makes sense to have a separate listing. I'm just saying those without, you're not going to be able to tell, all the LP info is the same, matrix and everything as best I can tell.

Long time buyer first time seller and forgive me if this question has been asked, but I went through 15+ pages of this thread and didn't want to sort through the rest. Anyway, I have some records that I want to unload. Let's say I list a record for $40. A year goes by and it doesn't sell. Another year passes, the record goes out of print, and is now fetching $100, but I haven't been paying attention to the increase in price and someone comes in and snags the vinyl for $40 because I was asleep at the wheel. My question is do I need to keep track of the value of the record I'm selling and manually increase my price as it rises, or is there a setting within Discogs that raises the price automatically to keep up with the rising rate? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Long time buyer first time seller and forgive me if this question has been asked, but I went through 15+ pages of this thread and didn't want to sort through the rest. Anyway, I have some records that I want to unload. Let's say I list a record for $40. A year goes by and it doesn't sell. Another year passes, the record goes out of print, and is now fetching $100, but I haven't been paying attention to the increase in price and someone comes in and snags the vinyl for $40 because I was asleep at the wheel. My question is do I need to keep track of the value of the record I'm selling and manually increase my price as it rises, or is there a setting within Discogs that raises the price automatically to keep up with the rising rate? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Nah, I think you have to check the current value of your stuff, to see if you are above or below market. I know some of us here don't appreciate it when we find an album and buy it, then have it cancelled and relisted at a higher price...

As @ThePakoBuelna said, you have to keep an eye on it yourself. Discogs isn’t going to keep jacking up the price on what you’re selling something for. I’ve had people cancel an order in a situation like that and then relist it for 2-3x the price and it sucks.

As @ThePakoBuelna said, you have to keep an eye on it yourself. Discogs isn’t going to keep jacking up the price on what you’re selling something for. I’ve had people cancel an order in a situation like that and then relist it for 2-3x the price and it sucks.
That's a recipe for negative feedback.

As a sometimes seller, I'll just remove items if they don't sell in a month or two and come back to sell them later. Don't want to be in a situation where someone randomly buys something 6-8 months after I listed it.

Does Discogs keep a sellers listing indefinitely without renewal? I've never used it. I sell so infrequently that I just keep using eBay and you need to relist after a certain time.
Yes, my understanding is that once you list it stays up until you do something with it.

In that case I’m going to list every single record of mine for $100k in the off chance...
You joke but there are people who essentially do this. One guy bought a VMP UGK record from me for $180 last April. He immediately relisted it at $500 with the description “one of my favorite pressings. I really don’t want to sell this one...” haha

I voted to not merge because I thought these were advertised as 200g. It may not be listed on the release, but they are 200g. I've even thought about uploading a pic of the records on a scale to the listing. Probably too cheeky of a thing for discogs, though LOL.

PXL_20210221_144657595.jpg

Back