Discogs - Help, Tricks, Secrets And Tips

My opinion is that if it wasn't the original release, it's a reissue.

A repress is only when they use the same plates as a prior release.

So anything that is a repress is also a reissue.

I've had discussions on this were most people disagree with me on this in the Discogs forums though.

I think it's all semantics around the terms "pressing", "release", and "issue".

My thinking is you can't use a prior used plate without a prior release.

Blank dates do suck, but it's better than an incorrect date. And someone may know the right one eventually.

nothing more to add other than stuff gets more out of hand when labels use hype language like "repress" when what they really mean is "reissue".

nothing more to add other than stuff gets more out of hand when labels use hype language like "repress" when what they really mean is "reissue".

I actually made a forum thread about this 2 years ago.

For Discogs, the guideline is that it "must" come from a prior master, so if they call it a repress and it's a new cut, then it's not a repress - even if they call it one.

Alrighty y'all - I'm a fairly new Discogs seller and I just sold a record for a couple hundred to a brand new user with no buying and selling history.

Are there any scams that I should be aware of with new users buying high priced items?

How exactly does insurance work - is that something I foot myself or something I negotiate with the buyer?

Alrighty y'all - I'm a fairly new Discogs seller and I just sold a record for a couple hundred to a brand new user with no buying and selling history.

Are there any scams that I should be aware of with new users buying high priced items?

How exactly does insurance work - is that something I foot myself or something I negotiate with the buyer?
If you want insurance, that is on you.

I did sell a Daft Punk box set to a newbie buyer recently and it went well and they left great feedback.

Grade well, pack safely, and, if you want peace of mind, get insurance. After that, it’s out of your hands. Possible hiccups would be a lost package, damage during transit, or grading dispute. Resolutions would be a refund without a return or refund upon return of record. IMO, someone doing a “scam” would be unlikely but you can always trust your instincts and let this forum, Discogs, and PayPal seller protection help you through a peculiar situation.

Question for sellers out there. I received a question on an item I have listed asking if I would offer priority mail instead of media mail. I'm perfectly happy to do that if the buyer covers cost, but I can't figure out the best way to add that charge. They have not placed the order yet. Is that something I can edit before they send payment once they put in the order? Just trying to figure out the easiest method for us both, without me having to mess with my overall shipping policies.

Question for sellers out there. I received a question on an item I have listed asking if I would offer priority mail instead of media mail. I'm perfectly happy to do that if the buyer covers cost, but I can't figure out the best way to add that charge. They have not placed the order yet. Is that something I can edit before they send payment once they put in the order? Just trying to figure out the easiest method for us both, without me having to mess with my overall shipping policies.
Have them checkout but stop before completing the invoice. It should alert you that an order was placed and create the sale page, where you can then edit the shipping charge manually as you've assumed.

Need a bit of advice from discogs sellers. I have a customer on discogs who bought a $25 album. In the mail (from USA to Poland) it got the beginning of a seam split (see photo) -- the buyer never asked me to open it and ship it outside the cover. She is demanding a $25 refund. I offered her a $10 partial refund or that she return it and I will pay 1/2 the postage and then give her a full refund. She refused. I wrote to discogs but they replied with a very generic message about how they don't get involved in disputes over "grading." What's the best course of action from here? Thanks in advance for any advice.

image2.jpeg

Need a bit of advice from discogs sellers. I have a customer on discogs who bought a $25 album. In the mail (from USA to Poland) it got the beginning of a seam split (see photo) -- the buyer never asked me to open it and ship it outside the cover. She is demanding a $25 refund. I offered her a $10 partial refund or that she return it and I will pay 1/2 the postage and then give her a full refund. She refused. I wrote to discogs but they replied with a very generic message about how they don't get involved in disputes over "grading." What's the best course of action from here? Thanks in advance for any advice.

View attachment 90416

Seam splits are 90% the fault of packing. If its not tight enough and the record can move in the sleeve this will happen.

They verified it with a picture, I would probably take the hit and refund.

Seam splits are 90% the fault of packing. If its not tight enough and the record can move in the sleeve this will happen.

They verified it with a picture, I would probably take the hit and refund.
Right, that's why buyers should request that the seller open and ship it separate in a poly-sleeve. Thanks for the advice and I suppose that's what I should do since $25 is not a big hit.

But what I didn't write in my initial post is that I suspect this buyer planned this outcome all along. She messaged me so many times about the condition before buying it that I blocked her. But then she ordered the LP anyway, and regrettably, I didn't cancel it because I assumed something was lost in translation from Polish to English. In a broader sense, what's to prevent a foreign buyer from doing this again and again?

Last, I'm disappointed in discogs CS. I love discogs in every way. But it took four days for them to get back to me and the message is clearly a cut/paste form email rather than an actual response to my query. I understand why they don't want to intervene, but I really expected more help/support, especially given how every month I pay them commissions on my sales.

Right, that's why buyers should request that the seller open and ship it separate in a poly-sleeve. Thanks for the advice and I suppose that's what I should do since $25 is not a big hit.

But what I didn't write in my initial post is that I suspect this buyer planned this outcome all along. She messaged me so many times about the condition before buying it that I blocked her. But then she ordered the LP anyway, and regrettably, I didn't cancel it because I assumed something was lost in translation from Polish to English. In a broader sense, what's to prevent a foreign buyer from doing this again and again?

Last, I'm disappointed in discogs CS. I love discogs in every way. But it took four days for them to get back to me and the message is clearly a cut/paste form email rather than an actual response to my query. I understand why they don't want to intervene, but I really expected more help/support, especially given how every month I pay them commissions on my sales.

I had a buyer who didn't pay and after a couple of days I poked them with a gentle reminder that I was going to post office and if he still wanted it I could get it out that day. He snapped back with "Christ man, its only been 2 days" and then when he finally paid mentioned something about the condition and asked if it was really mint... anyway, I just knew this guys was going to be an issue so I took pictures before it went in the box, etc. Turns out it got there with a seam split and he wanted a replacement. He sent a picture and i just told him to give it away and sent him another one.

I figured he didn't do it on purpose and I didn't want to spend more time on one record for a 7$ profit.

So now I changed my packing, called it a customer service charge, lesson learned and just moved on.

--

My only interaction with them was positive. They removed bad feedback after review because a record, during Covid shutdown, didnt get to them fast enough. However, I can see where that was a frustrating response. Again sometimes you have to cut your losses.

So they want a full refund and to keep the record? That doesn't seem right to me. I always offer a full refund when requested but only if the record is returned. Maybe I'm way off base here but I don't think you owe them a free record. This is also why I only ship to the US, to avoid headaches like this since the return shipping is so much more.

I also only accept full refunds upon return of the record. Dealt with too much nonsense over time with partial refund people. Not saying they all are insidious or anything, but definitely feel like there's too much bullshit there. I am always happy to accept the return and give the full refund if someone is unhappy and I think that is MORE than enough.

So they want a full refund and to keep the record? That doesn't seem right to me. I always offer a full refund when requested but only if the record is returned. Maybe I'm way off base here but I don't think you owe them a free record. This is also why I only ship to the US, to avoid headaches like this since the return shipping is so much more.
I hope this experience doesn't lead me to block all foreign buyers since I've had nothing but positive experiences until now. But it seems like an opportunity for exploitation on the part of buyers since they know that return shipping is costly and therefore it's easier for me to just give in to their demands. And given this is a minor seam split, I thought a partial refund of $10 off a $25 LP was somewhat generous? Record is mint, she admitted she opened it and played it, which convinces me even more she set out to do this from the start and that I shouldn't back down but I also think @Ethos99 is probably right that I should just take the hit.

And I thought people on this thread might be interested in the message from discogs. Again, I love discogs in every way. But I thought this message didn't really apply to my situation and seemed generic. Is this really a "grading" issue? Not in my opinion. And note that they will not remove negative feedback on a "grading issue" so if I don't give in I'm sure to get negative feedback that will stay on my account.

discogs-response.jpeg

Back