Discogs - Help, Tricks, Secrets And Tips

I had a record take 5 weeks from Germany to Denmark last month. I think there are definitely countries quarantining shipments for 14 days on both sides!

Yeah that’s actually fair enough too. The ones I’ve bought from Germany have been quite quick of late. The ones from the U.K. less so, but that’s got nowt to do with covid!

So I had an expensive box set that someone made an offer on, I accepted, sent an invoice and now almost a day later they want to cancel stating they found a mint copy.

I assume that the best thing is to let them cancel and not leave negative feedback? I'm a bit perturbed, but it's probably best to let it go, correct?

So I had an expensive box set that someone made an offer on, I accepted, sent an invoice and now almost a day later they want to cancel stating they found a mint copy.

I assume that the best thing is to let them cancel and not leave negative feedback? I'm a bit perturbed, but it's probably best to let it go, correct?
I would say you’re correct in your initial intimation.

Maybe leave a neutral rating with the reason explaining why?

It’s tough, but I’d let it go and re-list. The buyer can still leave you positive feedback, so I’d just ask them to leave you feedback so it’s not a total loss.

It’s better than freakin’ eBay, where you could have a 9 day auction and get ghosted by the winner. Then you gotta re-list without the satisfaction of slapping negative feedback on them.

I picked up a used Steely Dan - Can't Buy a Thrill today and I can't figure out the pressing. Can anyone help?

Runout: "t1 abcx 758-a-1" (etched) then "F" (laser) followed by "35" (etched)

I can't find any 1972 copies on Discogs that have this label...

image.jpg

I am pretty lenient with stuff like this so long as they message me promptly. I’d consider within 24 hours to be pretty good communication for a cancelation request. “I found a better copy!” is more needless/irrelevant info than bad behavior, IMO.

That said, some Discogs users go wild when it comes to the customer’s commitment to buy. It’s a blood oath that is stricter than their government’s actual laws about consumer transactions. As a buyer, if I asked to a cancel an order, I wouldn’t be too surprised if a Discogs seller flips their lid and invokes vinyl martial law to force me to surrender my $18 and promise to receive and keep the record for life. :giggle:

I picked up a used Steely Dan - Can't Buy a Thrill today and I can't figure out the pressing. Can anyone help?

View attachment 88375
I think it might be a variant of this 1974 repress. The T1 indicates it's a Terre Haute pressing, which helps narrow it down. This version's label is the only one that matches yours, see the pics, and the runout is very close, one variant has the "F".

Last edited:
I’m turning into a cranky Discogs user. But wtf is up with people who just decide that your listing is for their item and just decide to add shit to a listing. A while back someone decided that because the 7” bundle was an option that the seven inch should be added to my listing for the most recent Budos Band or some Jackass that decided my listing for the FLACs for the Mandolin Orange live album must be the place to add an lp and make it their second pressing. Which irritates me even more if he actually has it because I don’t even have a shipping notification on my first press!!!

I think it might be a variant of this 1974 repress. The T1 indicates it's a Terre Haute pressing, which helps narrow it down. This version's label is the only one that matches yours, see the pics, and the runout is very close, one variant has the "F".

View attachment 88375

Yep...that's the one I'd go with. The copyright date isn't always the release date if nothing was changed with the music/artwork. You only usually see a new copyright date if it's a new remaster of something significant was changed. This does make finding your copy a bit difficult.

I got a bit heated when some jackhole tried to argue with me about the release year of XTC - Mummer. I played a promo copy and had the date of 1984. He tries to mansplain that it was released in 1983...which I agreed that the original UK was released in 1983, but the US release was delayed until 1984 when Geffen released it and reissued all the prior XTC albums in Feburary/March of 1984.

This went on for weeks. He finally played the copyright card. The US Geffen release used the 1983 UK Virgin Records copyright and he thought he beat me.
At this point I was on vacation and was done with him....I called him a condescending asshole and he wasn't worth me teaching him copyright laws. We then both blocked each other....that was a good day, and the last time I've had any issues on Twitter.

Last edited:
I’m turning into a cranky Discogs user. But wtf is up with people who just decide that your listing is for their item and just decide to add shit to a listing. A while back someone decided that because the 7” bundle was an option that the seven inch should be added to my listing for the most recent Budos Band or some Jackass that decided my listing for the FLACs for the Mandolin Orange live album must be the place to add an lp and make it their second pressing. Which irritates me even more if he actually has it because I don’t even have a shipping notification on my first press!!!
Do they just not understand how a database works and think they're editing their own personal listing?

Back