Discogs - Help, Tricks, Secrets And Tips

Wow, this seller is a gigantic asshole...

Per the sellers note:
"12 available, awaiting delivery from BLR, all confirmed posted with tracking info - email confirmation x6 available, rarer than test press on coloured vinyl - stop messaging and whining about the price, you should've been quicker if you wanted to pay retail lol ;)"
Reported.

I ordered a record from Canada 2 months ago and it arrived a month later with water damage. The whole package was soaked like it had been left in the rain. The record was in an outer sleeve so only the edge (where the opening it) got wet, and it's now stained and slightly warped as a result (the record itself is fine). It clearly didnt get to me in the manner stated on the listing so I contacted the seller, sent multiple emails of photos as he requested and a description.

Its now been a month and every time I message the seller they get back to me to say they are waiting to hear back from the postal service. He messages again this morning to say that he is waiting for a letter from them which could take a while as the postal service is slow. It wasn't the most expensive record and I even messaged to say that I would be open to a partial refund as I expect it would cost him more to have it returned and then to try and resell it in its condition.

Any advice? I might be wrong but I don't think I should have to wait for the postal service as its the seller's responsibility to ensure its packaged correctly, and for him to try and claim back from them.

I ordered a record from Canada 2 months ago and it arrived a month later with water damage. The whole package was soaked like it had been left in the rain. The record was in an outer sleeve so only the edge (where the opening it) got wet, and it's now stained and slightly warped as a result (the record itself is fine). It clearly didnt get to me in the manner stated on the listing so I contacted the seller, sent multiple emails of photos as he requested and a description.

Its now been a month and every time I message the seller they get back to me to say they are waiting to hear back from the postal service. He messages again this morning to say that he is waiting for a letter from them which could take a while as the postal service is slow. It wasn't the most expensive record and I even messaged to say that I would be open to a partial refund as I expect it would cost him more to have it returned and then to try and resell it in its condition.

Any advice? I might be wrong but I don't think I should have to wait for the postal service as its the seller's responsibility to ensure its packaged correctly, and for him to try and claim back from them.

The delivery issues are between the shipper and the shipping company, not with you. You may need to open a case with PayPal or Discogs if they wont resolve it.

Also, you only have 90 days to file a claim so they might be running out the clock.

The delivery issues are between the shipper and the shipping company, not with you. You may need to open a case with PayPal or Discogs if they wont resolve it.

Also, you only have 90 days to file a claim so they might be running out the clock.
This is what I suspected, cheers. Just seen that he messages to say that he should receive the letter by the end of the week. I will give him until then and if he still hasnt offered a resolution I will let him know where I stand.

This may have been mentioned before, but has anyone had a PayPal claim filed against them as a seller within one week of shipping their record because they haven’t yet received the item due to slow usps, even when the tracking says it’s still on the way? Not sure what to do with this and I’m starting to anticipate the worst outcome with him saying he never received it despite it saying it was delivered today.

This may have been mentioned before, but has anyone had a PayPal claim filed against them as a seller within one week of shipping their record because they haven’t yet received the item due to slow usps, even when the tracking says it’s still on the way? Not sure what to do with this and I’m starting to anticipate the worst outcome with him saying he never received it despite it saying it was delivered today.
I haven't had someone do this to me...but if you show PayPal that the tracking is active and shows the item en route (or that it's been delivered), they'll close the case in your favor since, obviously, the item is on its way/delivered. I'd recommend calling PayPal and talking to someone, as I have seen some wacky decisions made by PayPal staff when you use their email or text only methods of communication. I'd also block the user from buying from you again, even if they don't attempt to claim that the order never arrived. A claim within a week for a record is, uh, wild.

I bought the Sleeve City Mailers and was kind of annoyed how hard they are to package tightly;
have already had a customer leave feedback because there was movement in my mailer, which must've happened during shipment.

Anyone know mailers they can get in ~not-wholesale quantities~? that are good?

edit: this could've been me just being really shitty with packing tape

Last edited:
I bought the Sleeve City Mailers and was kind of annoyed how hard they are to package tightly;
have already had a customer leave feedback because there was movement in my mailer, which must've happened during shipment.

Buy 12x12 cardboard squares/“mailer pads” or cut up your own squares from recycled cardboard as extra layer protection and padding to remove the excess space. Bubble wrap will work for eliminating the movement but it’s less helpful for protection against those occasional unexplained holes that USPS pokes into mailers.
If you got the normal white mailers from their site, all normal mailers are pretty much the same as that with just slight thickness and perforation differences. Then there are heavy duty mailers like the Whiplash mailers and those self-sealing Kraft mailers Amazon used to use that have overhang/extra corner protection. There are further interesting/weird mailer options but I haven’t seen them mass produced or offered at an affordable price per mailer.

Wondering if any of you more seasoned discogs vets can help me out with a sleuthing challenge.

I recently picked up a copy of Bone Machine by Tom Waits, and it appears to be an original copy from 1992.

The conundrum:

The side A and B labels match this version exactly.

The runout matrix (side A: 208 DMG-3126 A-1 C; side B: 208 DMG-3126 B-1 C) matches this version, which does not line up with the label match above.

Both versions were produced in Europe in 1992. From what I can gather, the outer and inner sleeves appear to be identical on both of these variants.

Which variant do I have?

Last edited:

I use these Mailers, however they aint too cheap.

The trade off is they are tight and take me about 20 seconds to pack and it is so worth the ease. I charge $5 to ship media mail and it pays for the mailers.

Edit: and yes, if the album is a single pocket (not gatefold) i use pads like Swamp Jazz said.

So something I sold looks lost in the post. When you guys refund so you just refund the purchase price or do you refund the postage too?

So something I sold looks lost in the post. When you guys refund so you just refund the purchase price or do you refund the postage too?

Did you retain proof of postage and carry out payment through paypal? If so I would suggest to make use of the seller protection. They would open a dispute and you can respond by excalating it to a claim.

Did you retain proof of postage and carry out payment through paypal? If so I would suggest to make use of the seller protection. They would open a dispute and you can respond by excalating it to a claim.

I took payment from the buyer through PayPal and I still have my receipt from the post office if that’s what you mean?

I would refund the full payment. What makes you say the package is lost? Has the tracking stalled for longer than 3-4 weeks?

I would refund the full payment. What makes you say the package is lost? Has the tracking stalled for longer than 3-4 weeks?

5 weeks. I hadn’t been checking it to be honest, I just got an email there from him to say it hadn’t arrived. When I checked tracking there was no update since it left Ireland on 6th January. It was only going to Poland, not transatlantic.

I’ve reported it to An Post and he’s agreed to give a fortnight while they do their “investigation”. Seems lost and that I’ll have to refund though. I’ll have to look into that PayPal seller protection thing and see how that works!

The side A and B labels match this version exactly.

The runout matrix (side A: 208 DMG-3126 A-1 C; side B: 208 DMG-3126 B-1 C) matches this version, which does not line up with the label match above.

Both versions were produced in Europe in 1992. From what I can gather, the outer and inner sleeves appear to be identical on both of these variants.

Which variant do I have?

So your labels are like 3296385 but you have 208 DMG-3126 A-1 C // 208 DMG-3126 B-1 C

Do you have anything like the "08-31527-20" on each side - or is the above all there is? This is the job code at the time of
Sony/CBS, Haarlem - which is now known as Record Industry.

"208 DM G-3126 A-1 C" on 3296385 should actually be 208 DMG-3126 A-1 C - as per the Sonopress profile - the 208 DM G-3126 is their runout scheme

1988–1992: Use of a 3-digit number preceding the DM and the cat# (e.g. 005 DM ###### A-2 or 105 DM ###### A-1); the date appears irregularly but the stereo indicator S disappeared. Apparently, the 3 digits indicate the respective lathe.

and

(please note that often the DM and the following letter are combined to DMB-1234 or DMG-5678, etc., but only B-1234 would be the LCCN number)

If you don't have the "08-31527-20" I would say you would have a close, but unique release that was pressed by Sonopress - like the release 1117158, but used the other labels.

If there is a bass clef near the spindle hole on side B, you will at least know it was a Sonopress pressing

L-95728-1441881128-1508.jpeg.jpg

3296385 seems to have used the Sonopress plates and were pressed at Sony/CBS, Haarlem but changed label design - which is on yours. So you seem to have an inbetween release - not the first issue, but one that was changed prior to the Sony/CBS, Haarlem pressing.

If you don't have the bass cleff or the "08-31527-20" - you then have a totally unique release that is neither of these 2 submissions.

Does any of this help or make sense?

Last edited:
5 weeks. I hadn’t been checking it to be honest, I just got an email there from him to say it hadn’t arrived. When I checked tracking there was no update since it left Ireland on 6th January. It was only going to Poland, not transatlantic.

I’ve reported it to An Post and he’s agreed to give a fortnight while they do their “investigation”. Seems lost and that I’ll have to refund though. I’ll have to look into that PayPal seller protection thing and see how that works!

5 weeks is a lot but given all the measures it's definitely still likely it would get delivered. In either case you have proof of purchase and used paypal so you'll be fine.

It's the easiest for all parties. He makes a dispute, you provide paypal the proof of shipment and paypal would refund him without you having to do so.

I wouldn't worry about discogs seller feedback. As long as you've been communicating and there's a resolution you can always request the feedback to be dropped from your account. They're usually pretty fair about this especially in the case where they buyer has been offered a full refund by paypal.

5 weeks is a lot but given all the measures it's definitely still likely it would get delivered. In either case you have proof of purchase and used paypal so you'll be fine.

It's the easiest for all parties. He makes a dispute, you provide paypal the proof of shipment and paypal would refund him without you having to do so.

I wouldn't worry about discogs seller feedback. As long as you've been communicating and there's a resolution you can always request the feedback to be dropped from your account. They're usually pretty fair about this especially in the case where they buyer has been offered a full refund by paypal.

No he’s actually been really sound so far so I’ll just keep the communication up and explain the process and it should be fine. Fingers crossed the best case scenario is that it turns up in the next two weeks before a refund is due!

No he’s actually been really sound so far so I’ll just keep the communication up and explain the process and it should be fine. Fingers crossed the best case scenario is that it turns up in the next two weeks before a refund is due!

I had a record take 5 weeks from Germany to Denmark last month. I think there are definitely countries quarantining shipments for 14 days on both sides!

Back