Discogs - Help, Tricks, Secrets And Tips

I don’t give the option, always declare full value. Cant make a claim to the post office here if it’s lost and underdeclared!
I sent it today, lowered the value a little. For the postal service here, the buck stop anywhere else but them haha

Still haven't heard from the guy *shrugs*

I was hoping you all could help me out. I recently started selling, and I have my first complaint from a buyer. I sold a copy of Leon Bridges/Khruangbin - Texas sun that was still sealed, for $55 shipped.
I got the below message from the buyer just now:
"Hello,

I just opened the package, and I am disappointed in that the spine has a major split (See link below)) so the sleeve is not Mint, I am a collector and I would have not purchased this in this condition. what can we do about this situation.

There was definitely no issue when I packaged it, and I wrapped in bubble wrap and used a whiplash.
What do you think my best course of action is?

I would thank them for contacting you about the damage and assure them you'll provide a quick, seamless refund upon return. I would also offer a refund for their return shipping via Media Mail (I once had someone cheekily do rush priority on a return that I said I'd refund their costs on :p). If they're still upset or disappointed after that, it's pretty much out of your hands. All you can do is pack well and provide attentive/quick service.

I was hoping you all could help me out. I recently started selling, and I have my first complaint from a buyer. I sold a copy of Leon Bridges/Khruangbin - Texas sun that was still sealed, for $55 shipped.
I got the below message from the buyer just now:
"Hello,

I just opened the package, and I am disappointed in that the spine has a major split (See link below)) so the sleeve is not Mint, I am a collector and I would have not purchased this in this condition. what can we do about this situation.

There was definitely no issue when I packaged it, and I wrapped in bubble wrap and used a whiplash.
What do you think my best course of action is?

I sold a sealed record once that ended up having two copies of the first LP and it taught me to not sell sealed records! I offered a full refund. In a case like yours where it's still playable, I'd ask if they would like 25% back or return for full refund. I didn't offer to refund return shipping though.

I always send outside of sleeves now since I'm not selling sealed, with extra cardboard stiffeners/protectors because I like to see that when I get records.

i'm certain it's because you're not selling the actual item but rather just part of it.

I don’t see that in the list. Many people sell record or sleeves only, or just the single from an LP set that included it.

Maybe I will file a request.

I have to agree, it's worth just slicing it open and packing the disc on the outside of the sleeve and maybe lower the price $1.00 from your intended sale price.

Opening and play-testing is a great option if you don’t mind making less profit in exchange for peace of mind. I don’t know if I’ve sold something where the price difference between sealed and opened is $1.00 but it is usually a pretty small difference if the record is in good shape. I’ve done it for records that I have sealed that are by pop-punk bands with, uh, very particular collector fan bases. :) I’d rather list a VG record and note that it’s slightly warped and knock $10 off the price than sell a sealed record that disappoints someone who NEEEEDS it to be Mint condition or higher.

You can't sell a Sleeve Only - You can sell a record only, but they don't allow for other single parts of a release like sleeve, poster, insert without the actual recorded sound on some sort of media.

People still do. I see more than a few LPs in my collection where the cheapest available currently for sale is just a single LP from a Boxset or just the bonus 7” or just the jacket or just the LP. They just list it under the normal release and then add a note stating it’s whichever part only. It always bums me out.

People still do. I see more than a few LPs in my collection where the cheapest available currently for sale is just a single LP from a Boxset or just the bonus 7” or just the jacket or just the LP. They just list it under the normal release and then add a note stating it’s whichever part only. It always bums me out.

Right...people do - just that it isn't allowed and can then be flagged and reported. It's not an automatic flagging - someone has to see it.

Discogs users will also flag listings for single records from a box set, which is allowed, and successfully get those listings removed from the marketplace. #YesThisHasHappenedToMeMultipleTimes
I have had people send me the most flowery messages thanking me for selling them the one record from a box set that they have been looking for by itself for years. I have also had people threaten me with eternal damnation in the comments for splitting up a box set. :p

Does anyone have any idea what "Partially Mixed" means on this listing? I checked the other pressings and none of the others say this.
1612577177506.png

Discogs users will also flag listings for single records from a box set, which is allowed, and successfully get those listings removed from the marketplace. #YesThisHasHappenedToMeMultipleTimes
I have had people send me the most flowery messages thanking me for selling them the one record from a box set that they have been looking for by itself for years. I have also had people threaten me with eternal damnation in the comments for splitting up a box set. :p

Are you saying "single records from a box set, which is allowed," is something that is allowed? They don't allow for separating out releases from a box set.

These releases wouldn't be "flagged" to where staff intervein, just merged back into the sub for the complete set. You can then sell the separate releases within that complete sets submission - but run the risk of the buyer not understanding what they are buying.

Are you saying "single records from a box set, which is allowed," is something that is allowed? They don't allow for separating out releases from a box set.

These releases wouldn't be "flagged" to where staff intervein, just merged back into the sub for the complete set. You can then sell the separate releases within that complete sets submission - but run the risk of the buyer not understanding what they are buying.
I’m not talking about creating a new submission. Just listing an incomplete box set in the marketplace under the correct submission and someone flags it and a Discogs staff member marks it as a violation. It’s happened to me 2-3 times and, each time, just in case I’m mistaken, I’ve opened a support request and a diff staff members says “That was a mistake. Re-list the item.”

I’m not talking about creating a new submission. Just listing an incomplete box set in the marketplace under the correct submission and someone flags it and a Discogs staff member marks it as a violation. It’s happened to me 2-3 times and, each time, just in case I’m mistaken, I’ve opened a support request and a diff staff members says “That was a mistake. Re-list the item.”

Yeah...that's odd that staff would mark it a violation. Could be they automated the process and everything is a violation - until someone complains.

I know they decreased staff a while ago - not many people actually doing database/marketplace work these days. It's all marketing now.

Wow, this seller is a gigantic asshole...

Per the sellers note:
"12 available, awaiting delivery from BLR, all confirmed posted with tracking info - email confirmation x6 available, rarer than test press on coloured vinyl - stop messaging and whining about the price, you should've been quicker if you wanted to pay retail lol ;)"

Wow, this seller is a gigantic asshole...

Per the sellers note:
"12 available, awaiting delivery from BLR, all confirmed posted with tracking info - email confirmation x6 available, rarer than test press on coloured vinyl - stop messaging and whining about the price, you should've been quicker if you wanted to pay retail lol ;)"
What a douche.

Back