Discogs - Help, Tricks, Secrets And Tips

Hey! So random question. Someone in New York bought one of rekids. They haven’t paid yet but the invoice included sales tax. Will this be included in the money sent to me and so I have to do owt? Or does cogs get this and deal with that side of things?
IIRC Cogs takes care of it. I believe it comes out of the proceeds along with the Cogs fees. But you definitely don't need to make a separate payment.

Hey! So random question. Someone in New York bought one of rekids. They haven’t paid yet but the invoice included sales tax. Will this be included in the money sent to me and so I have to do owt? Or does cogs get this and deal with that side of things?

IIRC Cogs takes care of it. I believe it comes out of the proceeds along with the Cogs fees. But you definitely don't need to make a separate payment.
What the bird said. Discogs will include the sales tax in your monthly invoice.

How do you adjust the shipping cost? Being a new year, the postal service has as usual upped the cost so i need to adjust the cost accordingly but i can't seem to find where i do this.

I have a question for you UK/EU folk. I have a buyer interested in a record for £55 plus postage. The issue is that he is asking if he will face import fees as I am sending it from the UK to Europe. I have seen something online to say that business items over £135 will have a fee, but then also that gifts worth more than £39 will have a fee.

I'm actually happy to add the value at a tenner or something if that helps.

Don't need help, tricks, secrets, or tips. I would, however, like to share something that gave me a light chuckle:

I received a message that Radiohead "OK Computer OKNOTOK 1997-2017 was up for review for removal. I usually ignore those emails. I know some get paranoid about things getting merged, deleted, etc. from their cogs and I get it; but I usually figure some attrition of my collection there is beyond my control, so therefore I put it out of my mind.

I did click on the link for voting/discussion though because of the reason the person put for removal:

"already own it"

I was like, "Is the person suggesting to remove it from the database BECAUSE they own it?!"

I was thoroughly perplexed for all of the 2 seconds it took to link to the discussion page. One, the vote was already concluded and there would be no removal. Second, the first two comments summed it all up:

"What does “already own it” mean? This is not your wantlist (haha)"

"I think the other user attempted to remove this from Discogs overall rather than from their own collection."

Don't need help, tricks, secrets, or tips. I would, however, like to share something that gave me a light chuckle:

I received a message that Radiohead "OK Computer OKNOTOK 1997-2017 was up for review for removal. I usually ignore those emails. I know some get paranoid about things getting merged, deleted, etc. from their cogs and I get it; but I usually figure some attrition of my collection there is beyond my control, so therefore I put it out of my mind.

I did click on the link for voting/discussion though because of the reason the person put for removal:

"already own it"

I was like, "Is the person suggesting to remove it from the database BECAUSE they own it?!"

I was thoroughly perplexed for all of the 2 seconds it took to link to the discussion page. One, the vote was already concluded and there would be no removal. Second, the first two comments summed it all up:

"I think the other user attempted to remove this from Discogs overall rather than from their own collection."

Yeah I had the same WTF moment when I saw that one 😂

A question for any US members who sell on Cogs, I never have but in looking at what I might be able to grab from Cogs (After posting to the PIF thread) is more than I could get in trade, they're marginal albums at best, but if I can get $5+, it'll be better than the local trade-in value.

Anyway, how do taxes work on Cogs, I know they add tax automatically for the states indicated, what happens at tax time? I know they report to the IRS, do you need to as well? Is there a max dollar amount for the year, like having to report total sales over $5k?

I'm not anticipating big numbers here, but also don't need IRS head aches over a few dollars, lol

Thanks in advance.

A question for any US members who sell on Cogs, I never have but in looking at what I might be able to grab from Cogs (After posting to the PIF thread) is more than I could get in trade, they're marginal albums at best, but if I can get $5+, it'll be better than the local trade-in value.

Anyway, how do taxes work on Cogs, I know they add tax automatically for the states indicated, what happens at tax time? I know they report to the IRS, do you need to as well? Is there a max dollar amount for the year, like having to report total sales over $5k?

I'm not anticipating big numbers here, but also don't need IRS head aches over a few dollars, lol

Thanks in advance.

They pay the tax. You get the money from the seller through PayPal and then it is added to your monthly bill from cogs. I sold a record to someone in New York myself last week and it confused me so I asked the question lol!

"already own it"

this kind of ridiculousness happens all day, every day. being a contributor/unpaid discogs enthusiast that helps "monitor" the database really can feel like the worst unpaid internship in the world at times.

Thanks in advance.
Discogs handles the calculations for the tax and disbursement to the states.

You, on the other hand, will have to claim income tax. Paypal sent me my 1099-k already for 2020 and I assume discogs will as well.

this kind of ridiculousness happens all day, every day. being a contributor/unpaid discogs enthusiast that helps "monitor" the database really can feel like the worst unpaid internship in the world at times.

I wondered why the odd record disappears now and then! I know all my Vinyl has been catalogued into discogs over the years but the odd one disappears ....

I have a question for you UK/EU folk. I have a buyer interested in a record for £55 plus postage. The issue is that he is asking if he will face import fees as I am sending it from the UK to Europe. I have seen something online to say that business items over £135 will have a fee, but then also that gifts worth more than £39 will have a fee.

I'm actually happy to add the value at a tenner or something if that helps.
Someone in the UK bought a record from me last week (Friday) and paid right away. I wrote him Sunday to ask if he wanted me to ship it with full value or lower value. Still no reply. I don't know if i should just go ahead and ship it?

Any idea what my violation could be on this listing?

View attachment 86857

i'm certain it's because you're not selling the actual item but rather just part of it.

Looking at some of the albums I have listed on Cogs, nothing earth shattering by any means and what they might bring trading in locally if they don't sell, I'm honestly better off just keeping them in my collection........once run through the PIF thread of course ;)

Someone in the UK bought a record from me last week (Friday) and paid right away. I wrote him Sunday to ask if he wanted me to ship it with full value or lower value. Still no reply. I don't know if i should just go ahead and ship it?

I don’t give the option, always declare full value. Cant make a claim to the post office here if it’s lost and underdeclared!

I was hoping you all could help me out. I recently started selling, and I have my first complaint from a buyer. I sold a copy of Leon Bridges/Khruangbin - Texas sun that was still sealed, for $55 shipped.
I got the below message from the buyer just now:
"Hello,

I just opened the package, and I am disappointed in that the spine has a major split (See link below)) so the sleeve is not Mint, I am a collector and I would have not purchased this in this condition. what can we do about this situation.

There was definitely no issue when I packaged it, and I wrapped in bubble wrap and used a whiplash.
What do you think my best course of action is?

That's a tough one. I know some sellers remove from the shrink before sending to avoid this phenomenon.

Not a frequent seller at all so I'd defer to those whole sell more often, but I'd probably offer a full refund for a return. The tone of the email doesn't suggest that s/he's just looking for a discount due to condition and regardless of any job you did, it got to him/her in less than the condition promised. I can see other arguments though

Edit: TLK says the other option I would think is valid.

Last edited:
I was hoping you all could help me out. I recently started selling, and I have my first complaint from a buyer. I sold a copy of Leon Bridges/Khruangbin - Texas sun that was still sealed, for $55 shipped.
I got the below message from the buyer just now:
"Hello,

I just opened the package, and I am disappointed in that the spine has a major split (See link below)) so the sleeve is not Mint, I am a collector and I would have not purchased this in this condition. what can we do about this situation.

There was definitely no issue when I packaged it, and I wrapped in bubble wrap and used a whiplash.
What do you think my best course of action is?

See if you can negotiate an acceptable price for a partial refund, if the buyer is willing or, have him return it and issue a refund. Those are your only real options.

Back