Discogs - Help, Tricks, Secrets And Tips

At $3.99 it’s not worth anyone’s time or energy to ship it backs. I probably would’ve have sent another follow up email instead of placing negative feedback, but everyone in the vinyl selling business has got to stop with “did you clean it? Is your equipment good?” Response to “hey, there’s a problem with my record.”
Especially for Discogs purchases, I think most people purchasing on the marketplace there are well versed in equipment and upkeep practices, and if they especially if they are perturbed enough to actually complain. The seller should take the “L” and issue the refund then go through and downgrade alll their LPs listed for sale that are under $5.

At $3.99 it’s not worth anyone’s time or energy to ship it back. I probably would’ve have sent another follow up email instead of placing negative feedback, but everyone in the vinyl selling business has got to stop with “did you clean it? Is your equipment good?” Response to “hey, there’s a problem with my record.”

At $3.99 if it's not worth your time nor energy then why bother with negative feedback?

At $3.99 if it's not worth your time nor energy then why bother with negative feedback?
$3.99 - it’s not worth my time or the sellers to send it back. It’s not worth the expense for me to ship it back. I would have bit my tongue, let him know I cleaned it, that my table was level and that I do not have difficulties with other records and explain to him that I am happy to ship it back but expect him to pay for my shipping cost as well. It would make more sense to me if I were the seller to take the loss and refund the entire purchase than lose more money on the deal, but that’s just me. And yes, if he declined to pay my shipping cost back plus full refund on the purchase, I would indeed leave negative feedback.

$3.99 - it’s not worth my time or the sellers to send it back. It’s not worth the expense for me to ship it back. I would have bit my tongue, let him know I cleaned it, that my table was level and that I do not have difficulties with other records and explain to him that I am happy to ship it back but expect him to pay for my shipping cost as well. It would make more sense to me if I were the seller to take the loss and refund the entire purchase than lose more money on the deal, but that’s just me. And yes, if he declined to pay my shipping cost back plus full refund on the purchase, I would indeed leave negative feedback.

Of course if you had to pay youd list the negative feedback. But that hasn't happened. At least not yet.

Home slice seller above definitely overgraded the item.
Thanks for the feedback, everyone. I’ve only made like 30 or so purchases on Discogs and I’m always kind of holding my breath that something like this won’t happen. I actually had an issue with my very first purchase on discogs for a $17 record and let the seller know about it and they provided their email address so I could send them photo evidence, and they replaced the record. My expectation is that if a record is listed as used and the “Media” condition is rated at all - the seller would AT LEAST pull it out of the cover and take a look at it. Or, indicate clearly on the listing or their store shipping notes if they didn’t do so (as some sellers do if they don’t have the time to examine each record in their inventory).

In this situation, the seller didn’t provide an email address so I could send a photo to show them the condition the record was in. Didn’t offer to pay my shipping cost to return the record. Even if they had - would I want to give them another chance at selling this record to someone else?

Also, re: Monophonics, I hadn’t even looked at the separate cover listings yet but they’re all for the black version. Why would the person who made those want to delete the random colored ones. Also, it says there were 3000 pressed which would imply there are 12,000 out there, which there aren’t.

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. I’ve only made like 30 or so purchases on Discogs and I’m always kind of holding my breath that something like this won’t happen. I actually had an issue with my very first purchase on discogs for a $17 record and let the seller know about it and they provided their email address so I could send them photo evidence, and they replaced the record. My expectation is that if a record is listed as used and the “Media” condition is rated at all - the seller would AT LEAST pull it out of the cover and take a look at it. Or, indicate clearly on the listing or their store shipping notes if they didn’t do so (as some sellers do if they don’t have the time to examine each record in their inventory).

In this situation, the seller didn’t provide an email address so I could send a photo to show them the condition the record was in. Didn’t offer to pay my shipping cost to return the record. Even if they had - would I want to give them another chance at selling this record to someone else?

I forgot to post the name of the seller: Endless Records in Bloomsburg, PA. Do we have a thread for sellers and/or record stores to avoid?

Looking back through my orders now, there's only two other sellers I've ordered from with lower seller ratings than Endless Records's rating, which is 98.8%. I guess if a store has 2,000 ratings that are 98.8% positive, that should be a warning sign in itself. I also looked at some of the negative/neutral feedback they've received recently, it looks like this store consistently is posting negative feedback on any buyer's account that gives negative or even neutral feedback. Here are some examples [I posted my feedback on March 10 before either of these]:

- April 19, 2020 : Neutral: "Not VG+ condition" [I checked this buyer's ratings and they have Negative feedback from Endless.records in response: "yeah it was VG+ condition" - this is the only negative or neutral feedback on this buyer's page, and they have 237 positive reviews]

- March 25, 2020: Negative: "Not good. Takes no responsibility for wrongly described items and gives no opportunity for refund, not even partial. Bad business" [I checked this buyer's ratings and they have Negative feedback now from endless.records in response: "I can only think someone who insists on a partial refund and refuses returns for accurately described goods they didn't read the description of is trying to shake me down. I would put this guy on your banned buyer list--as I'll tell other stores." - again, this is the only negative or neutral feedback on this buyer's page, and they have 97 positive reviews]

It seems like this seller thinks they can get away with it because they do enough business that their negative reviews don't move the needle as much, but they can leave negative feedback for the buyer and it will have more of any impact, unless the buyer is also a business with thousands of transactions and reviews.

I forgot to post the name of the seller: Endless Records in Bloomsburg, PA. Do we have a thread for sellers and/or record stores to avoid?

Looking back through my orders now, there's only two other sellers I've ordered from with lower seller ratings than Endless Records's rating, which is 98.8%. I guess if a store has 2,000 ratings that are 98.8% positive, that should be a warning sign in itself. I also looked at some of the negative/neutral feedback they've received recently, it looks like this store consistently is posting negative feedback on any buyer's account that gives negative or even neutral feedback. Here are some examples [I posted my feedback on March 10 before either of these]:

- April 19, 2020 : Neutral: "Not VG+ condition" [I checked this buyer's ratings and they have Negative feedback from Endless.records in response: "yeah it was VG+ condition" - this is the only negative or neutral feedback on this buyer's page, and they have 237 positive reviews]

- March 25, 2020: Negative: "Not good. Takes no responsibility for wrongly described items and gives no opportunity for refund, not even partial. Bad business" [I checked this buyer's ratings and they have Negative feedback now from endless.records in response: "I can only think someone who insists on a partial refund and refuses returns for accurately described goods they didn't read the description of is trying to shake me down. I would put this guy on your banned buyer list--as I'll tell other stores." - again, this is the only negative or neutral feedback on this buyer's page, and they have 97 positive reviews]

It seems like this seller thinks they can get away with it because they do enough business that their negative reviews don't move the needle as much, but they can leave negative feedback for the buyer and it will have more of any impact, unless the buyer is also a business with thousands of transactions and reviews.

I went to college in that podunk town. Long before Endless existed. I’m going to ask a retired Professor I know who still lives in town (and is also a record collector/dealer with great taste) what’s up with them. Sure to get a good story.

I went to college in that podunk town. Long before Endless existed. I’m going to ask a retired Professor I know who still lives in town (and is also a record collector/dealer with great taste) what’s up with them. Sure to get a good story.

I may have googled Endless records and found their store website and laughed out loud that they proudly list 4 Men with Beards and Plain Recordings as labels that they stock in their store.

Occasionally, I'll sell a single LP from a box set and there are people who get very upset about it. I know this because I've gotten direct messages and public comments in the Reviews section that tell me I deserve to go to hell for splitting up a sacred set of records, etc etc. As far as I know, it's not a marketplace violation to sell an incomplete set, so long as it is listed on the correct version.

Anyway, that's a preamble to say that someone reported a listing for being Not Actual Item for this reason. My question for Discogs rules experts is, is there anything I can do to avoid being flagged like this? A piece of language I can add to listing descriptions (I already note clearly that it's an incomplete set but do I have to say "IT'S INCOMPLETE BUT IT'S THE EXACT VERSION AS THIS LISTING")? Or do I just live my life and once every year someone gets upset and reports me and I can't sell that record on Discogs?

Occasionally, I'll sell a single LP from a box set and there are people who get very upset about it. I know this because I've gotten direct messages and public comments in the Reviews section that tell me I deserve to go to hell for splitting up a sacred set of records, etc etc. As far as I know, it's not a marketplace violation to sell an incomplete set, so long as it is listed on the correct version.

Anyway, that's a preamble to say that someone reported a listing for being Not Actual Item for this reason. My question for Discogs rules experts is, is there anything I can do to avoid being flagged like this? A piece of language I can add to listing descriptions (I already note clearly that it's an incomplete set but do I have to say "IT'S INCOMPLETE BUT IT'S THE EXACT VERSION AS THIS LISTING")? Or do I just live my life and once every year someone gets upset and reports me and I can't sell that record on Discogs?
Well that’s shitty of people. I’d say just make sure you clearly list “DISK 2 ONLY” or something like that. Not sure why people would otherwise report it...

I think they just get pissed that the listed price of a whole box goes down as a result of the single LP sale being added to the sale history and it gets hard to tell what the real median price for the whole box should be. I couldn't care less personally and until Discogs comes up with a better way to do it, you do you friend.

I have a Hendrix VHS out of a box set, I've been trying to sell there. Several people have bought it without reading my description. Lazy shoppers.

How's this copy read?

!! PLEASE READ!! => VHS TAPE ONLY! <= This is PAL format and will not play in standard USA VCRs. Low cost shipping within USA, around $3-$4. Outside United States, please ask for shipping quote. Rates likely start around $15. NO CDs ARE INCLUDED IN THIS SALE! I will not cancel the order, buyer must pay and receive TAPE ONLY.

So how much do you want for the cds?

Discogs really needs an "incomplete" tag when you are trying to sell something. It isn't fair to anyone. As the seller you have trouble with people not reading the description and as a different seller it is not fair to have the median price driven down by these types of sales

So how much do you want for the cds?

Discogs really needs an "incomplete" tag when you are trying to sell something. It isn't fair to anyone. As the seller you have trouble with people not reading the description and as a different seller it is not fair to have the median price driven down by these types of sales

I agree.

CDs are free, you'll receive an empty envelope. :D

Back