Definitive Audiophile pressings

For you UK folks...no idea how these prices compare to other places for AP/MoFi titles, but this site has come to my attention for somewhere to buy titles from those labels. Some prices seem crazy to me but just not sure what the going rate is at shops over there:

They’re about on point. Not over expensive or particularly cheap. They’re also not the loony bin. They’re better know for components (I’ve bought some bespoke power supplies & cables from them - very high quality) but they do have a decent mofi/ap selection.

There are definitely flippers buying these but I don’t think it’s only them...the Hoffman crowd and MoFi usual crowd are buying them up like crazy too...and MoFi albums have almost always held their value and gone up. It’s not something new. The thing that will change is MoFi saying they will keep most new releases in print and not limited to 4,000 copies or whatever. Dire Straits is an example of that. Flippers will still say “OOP!” when the albums aren’t in stock but if you keep up on what’s not limited then if ya miss a repress just wait for the next one.
Right, but the new part is that most MoFis would be in print for years and readily available before the value skyrocketed. And for many titles, I don't think they necessarily pressed more, they were just slow sellers. So no flippers would be remotely interested as it would be a very long game.

anybody happen to have this one?
The reviews are fantastic and I need some Frank, so I pre-ordered. ED doesn't charge until they ship, so I need to remember this come August

Yes. Love it. If a Sinatra fan, then you should grab it while you can.

Yes. Fantastic. Most early 50s Sinatra sounds like it was recorded into a tin can. This sounds clear and his voice is velvety as ever.

Someone might want this probably ... @AnthonyI

I definitely agree that flippers and releasing these albums in batches instead of dropping the entire print run at once has created the FOMO hook, line and sinker.

Curious as to what the market holds, particularly as we get out of the COVID-19 closures and there become more opportunities for people to spend their money elsewhere.
This right here. If you’ve considered selling ANY of your collectibles, now’s the time. Every market is sky high.

Even if a label just followed the Blue Note example, with having a small team overseeing the project to ensure quality. Between BN 80, Tone Poets and BN Classics, they have produced 100 titles so far. (They probably would have been more if not for COVID). They are not 'audiophile' but they are above average pressings and great value for money. But I doubt any title had an initial pressing run of higher than 5000. And now Blue Note has a built in crowd who is buying about 75-100% of their reissues as they produce them.
And THIS right here! I hate to go down this hole, but I’m gonna, cause you guys will get it. Scroll past if you wanna avoid the rant -

I started collecting over 20 years ago, (I’m not that old, I started young) seeing the cost of the medium continually rise with the quality control continue to go down. When I pay $30 for a record now, I expect it to be in the ballpark of what Blue Note are doing - on-center, relatively flat, and a quality product. The bonus is the world class mastering. I’m not expecting that to be the case for every record I buy, but when I pull out something with a side B grossly off center, or a big warp, or a smooshed inner sleeve, etc etc, it makes vinyl feel like a piece of collectible merchandise rather than a listening experience.

Two orders with AAA records came in today:

Gearbox Records:
Theon Cross "Fyah"
Butcher Brown "Camden Sessions"
Binker Golding "Abstractions of reality past and incredible feathers"

Speakers Corner:
Elvis Presley "From Elvis In Memphis"
Elvin Jones "Midnight Walk" (💥💥)
Janis Joplin "I Got Dem Ol' Kozmic Blues Again Mama!"

Spinning the Joplin now... [chef's kiss].

IMG_1392.JPG

The Door S/T is wonderful! The AP 2x45? I have 4 of those Doors AP now (that's all the ones I want) and they're wonderful.
Not the AP! Got the MoFis of both albums. Curious to hear how The Doors one sounds. I don’t have any of the APs actually yet! Have a DCC of Strange Days and now the MoFi self-titled. I got the MoFi for $40 so figured is give it a shot!

Not the AP! Got the MoFis of both albums. Curious to hear how The Doors one sounds. I don’t have any of the APs actually yet! Have a DCC of Strange Days and now the MoFi self-titled. I got the MoFi for $40 so figured is give it a shot!

Oh cool. That would be a fun one to A/B with the AP.

Got a copy of the MoFi pressings of Sticky Fingers and The Doors self-titled today. Excited to give em a clean and listen.

Sticky Fingers will be interesting. I’m convinced that because it’s a shit recording that it’ll never sound that good. Hopefully MoFi bring the best possible out of it and don’t neuter it!

Sticky Fingers will be interesting. I’m convinced that because it’s a shit recording that it’ll never sound that good. Hopefully MoFi bring the best possible out of it and don’t neuter it!
Unfortunately I only have the recent halfspeed to A/B that one with which I remember really disliking. I think my older pressing is in storage or might have sold it at some point. I'm listening to it now and I gotta say...the stereo imaging is really impressive on it. I wouldn't say I have the BEST ears in general but I had to go up to my speakers to make sure that the Sonos soundbeam wasn't somehow also playing the music in a center channel. I'd have to compare it even to high res digital to see what the stereo separation is like on another stereo mastering of it. It really felt like Mick is in the center while the other instruments felt like they are in different parts of my living room. It's not an album that I know by heart so didn't really have preconcieved notions of what it's supposed to sound like though. I'll give it some more spins though!

Unfortunately I only have the recent halfspeed to A/B that one with which I remember really disliking. I think my older pressing is in storage or might have sold it at some point. I'm listening to it now and I gotta say...the stereo imaging is really impressive on it. I wouldn't say I have the BEST ears in general but I had to go up to my speakers to make sure that the Sonos soundbeam wasn't somehow also playing the music in a center channel. I'd have to compare it even to high res digital to see what the stereo separation is like on another stereo mastering of it. It really felt like Mick is in the center while the other instruments felt like they are in different parts of my living room. It's not an album that I know by heart so didn't really have preconcieved notions of what it's supposed to sound like though. I'll give it some more spins though!

I suppose my worry with a mofi of it, or any classic era stones, is that it strips too much grime off and it becomes a bit too polished, those recordings were raw and I think that needs to be preserved. That said I have the 2015 and it’s merely fine, the cover with the zipper is nice though. That said I love the fact that it made me know that Brown Sugar with Eric Clapton I’d like 7 billions times worse than without him 😂

Back