Definitive Audiophile pressings

I just looked at Discogs and it seems that they were all GZ so far. Paper sleeve sucks. I'm assuming you mean it's not even a printed inner? Like GZ needs additional variables to create issues.
Nope just bottom of the barrel plain white paper. No inserts or anything.

I have only received that one and Roots so far. Roots appears to be pressed at Optimal, like the box set it is a repress of. It is a little warped. It is in a poly lined inner and the jacket is a cool replica of the original, which included a calendar. I believe that is the same as the box as well.

Any recommendations for Folsom Prison?
I’d love to get that 5lp set from a couple of years ago but don’t want to spend that kind of money right now.
My guess is that the new VMP edition to be announced tomorrow will likely be the best available single LP modern repress. Particularly given that I think it is OOP/OOS everywhere now. I have a clean stereo LP from 68 that sounds fine.

My guess is that the new VMP edition to be announced tomorrow will likely be the best available single LP modern repress. Particularly given that I think it is OOP/OOS everywhere now. I have a clean stereo LP from 68 that sounds fine.
I’m trying to avoid VMP but it might be me only option unless I go after an older pressing.

I’d love to get that 5lp set from a couple of years ago but don’t want to spend that kind of money right now.
I like my OG mono pressing :sneaky: not affordable at all though and I lucked into it. Original stereo pressings sound quite good too. Looks like the Sony Legacy 2 LP one has decent reviews too but I’ve never heard any modern reissues of the album. Not an audiophile recording at all though. But yeah just wait and see what VMP is releasing and go from there.

Ah that Withers sounds fantastic to me. I was blasting that one the other day and it felt like I was in the venue.

I think Kind of Blue is a bit overrated actually but sounds solid. The other Miles on MoFi sound better to me. In A Silent Way rules. I have the 70s GD and have Workingman's Dead 45 which sounds great. I'd say MoFi is at like a 80-90% wow rate for me. Might be a bit biased too since Mingus Ah Um and the Dylan One Step are probably 2 of my top 3 sounding albums next to the Radiohead disc box. I have yet to listen to an AP that wows me as much as those two. Granted, I did pay almost twice as much for those compared to the APs even on a heavy sale discount. I stayed away from the APs for awhile too because I don't love 45s as much but have warmed up to them lately.

Did you ever get that Ella and Louis by the way? I saw Plaidroom had it on sale today for 15% off list.
I did! It sounds spectacular, gets a lot of Sunday morning spins around here. It's my form of church it would appear lol.

Lush Life arrived today. Spinning it now and it sounds excellent. It arrived safely (minus a tiny tiny seam split on the top of the LP sleeve). Doesn't appear to be individually numbered though as they said it should be.
How weird, mine has the number handwritten at the bottom right of the slipcase. If you have a white sharpie you could have 0001 in your hands :ROFLMAO:

I was just talking about this in the VMP Country thread yesterday. I have a first pressing that I picked up for around a quid last year and the 5lp box set. Have to say that the box set is a fantastic one to dig into. Its both shows plus the rehearsal and includes the opening remarks and warm-up acts. It's one of those which is super immersive because of the chatter in between tracks and Cash's witty remarks. Not sure how much it goes for now but if there isn't a huge difference between whichever repress you consider and the box, I would perhaps consider saving a bit more for the box.

Lush Life arrived today. Spinning it now and it sounds excellent. It arrived safely (minus a tiny tiny seam split on the top of the LP sleeve). Doesn't appear to be individually numbered though as they said it should be.

Mine was numbered on the back of the box

I just got the KG and Steve Hoffman mastered Icky Thump and I must say that it is one of the best rock albums I have in my collection. Absolutely stomps the CD and sounds much better than the current WG/NRP pressing.
Agreed, I have the same pressing and it sounds great...............let's just keep feeding @MikeH's KG obsession ;)

Just ordered a few of the 2010 rhino Tom Waits and 3 Japanese first presses for the 3 Asylum ones that Rhino didn’t get around to doing in 2010. Looking forward to these coming in, the mixes they did for 2018 reissues stink so I’m hoping I’m hoping these are good pressings of a much preferable mix. I’ll update with impressions in due course.

Back