Definitive Audiophile pressings

What if KG is wrong...?
200.gif

Just ordered a few of the 2010 rhino Tom Waits and 3 Japanese first presses for the 3 Asylum ones that Rhino didn’t get around to doing in 2010. Looking forward to these coming in, the mixes they did for 2018 reissues stink so I’m hoping I’m hoping these are good pressings of a much preferable mix. I’ll update with impressions in due course.

I'm ashamed to say my Tom Waits knowledge is really poor but I've always liked what I heard. I got the recent closing time reissue which I thought sounded pretty good. What Tom Waits records / pressings, should I be looking for?

Just ordered a few of the 2010 rhino Tom Waits and 3 Japanese first presses for the 3 Asylum ones that Rhino didn’t get around to doing in 2010. Looking forward to these coming in, the mixes they did for 2018 reissues stink so I’m hoping I’m hoping these are good pressings of a much preferable mix. I’ll update with impressions in due course.
The CB re-cuts, right? I have Nighthawks and Small Change. Don't know why I never picked up Closing Time. I need to.

I'm ashamed to say my Tom Waits knowledge is really poor but I've always liked what I heard. I got the recent closing time reissue which I thought sounded pretty good. What Tom Waits records / pressings, should I be looking for?
I love Nighthawks At The Diner. That's one of those records where I have an old pressing that is real flimsy but sounds absolutely incredible. I'm not super familiar with the reissues.

The CB re-cuts, right? I have Nighthawks and Small Change. Don't know why I never picked up Closing Time. I need to.

Yeah they’re the ones! I’ve just ordered 3 of the 4. I’ll pick up Nighthawks at some time in the future. The Japanese of the other 3 Asylum studio albums I bought are OGs. Really looking forward to them landing. Given they’re 11 years old and the new ones are crap it’s surprising that they’re still pretty reasonably priced, didn’t pay over €25 for shipping for any of the three!

The ones that were done by Rhino around 2010 that were re-cuts by CB are supposedly AAA and have a great reputation. I'm really happy with the two I have. Just don't pick up the first cuts, which were by RM and were bad enough that they decided to have a re-do. I think within the same year, so make sure you have the right one.

I think that is just Closing Time through Small Change though. I'm not sure there have been great reissues done for the later albums. I think the MOVs are supposed to be ok. I have originals for Swordfishtrombones and Rain Dogs and they sound great, but I wouldn't be surprised if they are pricey lately.

So if you were into early Waits before the 2018 remasters you’d have been used to the original Asylum/Elektra master. They were dramatically reimagined by Waits and Brennan for the 2018 remaster, I’d actually call it a remix because they sound SO different. Also anti aren’t the greatest at pressing anything. If you like them great for you but being used to the OG sound I despise them lol.

The ones that were done by Rhino around 2010 that were re-cuts by CB are supposedly AAA and have a great reputation. I'm really happy with the two I have. Just don't pick up the first cuts, which were by RM and we're bad enough that they decided to have a re-do.

I think that is just Closing Time through Small Change though. I'm not sure there have been great reissues done for the later albums. I think the MOVs are supposed to be ok. I have originals for Swordfishtrombones and Rain Dogs and they sound great, but I wouldn't be surprised if they are pricey lately.

Yeah I saw that about the early pressing. I think that was the initial colour presssings? Certainly all the EU black listings have CB listed for mastering.

So if you were into early Waits before the 2018 remasters you’d have been used to the original Asylum/Elektra master. They were dramatically reimagined by Waits and Brennan for the 2018 remaster, I’d actually call it a remix because they sound SO different. Also anti aren’t the greatest at pressing anything. If you like them great for you but being used to the OG sound I despise them lol.

To a newbie it sounded pretty great. The copy I have is well pressed & quiet as well (I must have been lucky), makes me think I need to get earlier one though if they sound so different.

On the Chris Bellman cuts are the EU pressings ok, or do you need look for the RTI US copies?

I’ll tell you when the 3 EU cuts arrive 😂

Generally rhino from optimal are really good pressings too, the only issue you sometimes get are when they do their own mastering rather than get the US one across. They all appear to be CB mastering on the EU for these too!

Yeah I saw that about the early pressing. I think that was the initial colour presssings? Certainly all the EU black listings have CB listed for mastering.
I'm not sure, i just looked at Small Change and the black 2010 US was RM and the red was CB, but I didn't see the RM listing for Closing Time. I'm sure you'll be fine. I would just double check the deadwax.

I'm not sure, i just looked at Small Change and the black 2010 US was RM and the red was CB, but I didn't see the RM listing for Closing Time. I'm sure you'll be fine. I would just double check the deadwax.

All the EU black are pressed at Optimal and show on cogs as Bellman so fingers crossed

As @Joe Mac said, his discography has been riddled with poor reissues. In all honestly, I have found that just getting the original pressings is the best bet. His isn't a discography where they go for mega-money (with the exception of Bone Machine and The Black Rider) and you can usually get a really clean first pressing for the price of a new reissue. Ebay is a great place, especially here in the UK where you don't tend to see them in shops.

As @Joe Mac said, his discography has been riddled with poor reissues. In all honestly, I have found that just getting the original pressings is the best bet. His isn't a discography where they go for mega-money (with the exception of Bone Machine and The Black Rider) and you can usually get a really clean first pressing for the price of a new reissue. Ebay is a great place, especially here in the UK where you don't tend to see them in shops.

Yeah the 3 rhinos cost me on average €25 a shot and the 3 Japanese were €30 a shot. I’m not complaining at that at all. Beats the hell out of those horrible new mixes. I’ll have to look into the best bet for the island ones that are still getable, obviously the black rider and bone machine are out of print since forever and cost a bomb. As for the later anti stuff just got to suck it up and accept the fact that it’s anti...

I just got the KG and Steve Hoffman mastered Icky Thump and I must say that it is one of the best rock albums I have in my collection. Absolutely stomps the CD and sounds much better than the current WG/NRP pressing.

That's the one I have too, it's great! Did the represses use the same master but a different plant or are they fully remastered?

Back