Definitive Audiophile pressings

....and all it took was literally dozens of hours of exposes, discussion and trashtalking videos on youtube, the frothing ill-will of all their butthurt customers howling at each other in their facebook echo chambers and -- i'm guessing but i'll be surprised if it isn't at least some hundreds of thousands of cancelled orders.

man, fuck mofi's bullshit.

I admit i'm almost tempted to wander into the steve hoffman forums to see those dudes losing their shit over it
Just go on some of the facebook MoFi pages--it's probably even better/worse than Hoffman. One guy there says that MoFi should pay customers partial refunds for all of the MoFis they have purchased over the years. And he wasn't joking lol.

I felt it was a good apology. I wonder if MOFI will backfill their catalog with this information. Looking on the website, it only seems future and current releases are the only ones with the mastering information. I would be interested in some of the other ones that are in Awaiting Repress and Sold Out status to have the same.

I felt it was a good apology. I wonder if MOFI will backfill their catalog with this information. Looking on the website, it only seems future and current releases are the only ones with the mastering information. I would be interested in some of the other ones that are in Awaiting Repress and Sold Out status to have the same.
they have started adding to all statuses. BOTT One Step for example has the sourcing.

they have started adding to all statuses. BOTT One Step for example has the sourcing.
Donald Fagan does not. Interested in the Fagan because I was under the impression that was an all digital recording to begin with. Clapton Unplugged doesn't have the info. Almost feels like if it was from the analog master, the info isn't there.

Donald Fagan does not. Interested in the Fagan because I was under the impression that was an all digital recording to begin with. Clapton Unplugged doesn't have the info. Almost feels like if it was from the analog master, the info isn't there.
i said started adding, not finished adding :) they have been adding more info on titles every day this week. Superfly was from analogue but not the original tape for example. they have been adding info to sold out titles, titles awaiting represses and currently in-press titles.

I ended up canceling my preorder for Somethin' Else One Step from Music Direct. I'm sure it'll sound great even with the DSD256 digital step (which is now advertised on MoFi.com) but I have the AP45 already which is splendid. I was hoping this MoFi One step would have been the "ultimate" AAA version of this album, since it is like a top 5 desert island record for me. Just cant justify the $125 for it any longer.

i said started adding, not finished adding :) they have been adding more info on titles every day this week. Superfly was from analogue but not the original tape for example. they have been adding info to sold out titles, titles awaiting represses and currently in-press titles.
412e80bc-9dd1-4605-9088-86b14d9b34f3_text.gif

I ended up canceling my preorder for Somethin' Else One Step from Music Direct. I'm sure it'll sound great even with the DSD256 digital step (which is now advertised on MoFi.com) but I have the AP45 already which is splendid. I was hoping this MoFi One step would have been the "ultimate" AAA version of this album, since it is like a top 5 desert island record for me. Just cant justify the $125 for it any longer.
I'll be very curious to hear that Somethin Else but will likely cancel mine too because I have the AP. I'll still order Bitches Brew though most likely! Unsure on the others. Regardless of the source, the MoFi one steps largely sound incredible.

Either that or the Music Matters SRX will be the ultimate versions.

Just go on some of the facebook MoFi pages--it's probably even better/worse than Hoffman. One guy there says that MoFi should pay customers partial refunds for all of the MoFis they have purchased over the years. And he wasn't joking lol.

well with the amounts that those dudes were paying, i can totally see that. I'm in one of the FB groups -- there's lots but I only bothered clicking 'join' on one before realizing that kind of dick-measuring isn't my thing -- and there's been semi regular picture posts of screenshots of their orders, complete with multiple copies of the same one step, as well as collection pictures, again with complete sets of sealed one-steps. If you're spending what surely must be 10s of thousands just on those mofi releases, for sure you're going to be in a very 'call my lawyer' mood when you find out you've been played (....or you know....)

I have to ask then, why not just buy the SACD? I'm totally out of the loop with DSD and everything behind it, but what's the benefit of pressing it to vinyl?

I would actually really like to see a blind listening test between SACD or other hi-res digital medium vs vinyl to see what differences come out.

This issue my dilemma. I don't usually do this, but for this one I have the AP & Japanese King & an RVG amongst others. It's a top 5 desert island disc for me. TBH I just didn't want to miss out out on the 'ultimate' edition. will probably still stick with it (that Blood on the tracks is outstanding).

I ended up canceling my preorder for Somethin' Else One Step from Music Direct. I'm sure it'll sound great even with the DSD256 digital step

This is a perfect example. I ordered Somethin’ Else the day it was announced. I canceled it Monday since I have the MM pressing it no longer even seemed remotely interesting. :-(.

This is a perfect example. I ordered Somethin’ Else the day it was announced. I canceled it Monday since I have the MM pressing it no longer even seemed remotely interesting. :-(.
Yeah, my original thought was, I'll splurge on this because it'll be the closest pressing to the original master tapes being AAA and a one-step. Nope. So, I'll just live happily with the AP version. I expect these one-steps to stick around for a while. Somethin' Else is a run of 10k. Maybe it'll turn up a Target sale for $80? ;)

I was just thinking that all that's left is some other label showing up with a bunch of PR highlighting their all analogue but-for-realz-you-guys-not-like-mofi to really twist the knife
I mean the video that Acoustic Sounds put out yesterday or the day before is kinda like that...maybe it was just lucky timing...but it was about 20 minutes of people praising Chad for his "let's do it right or not at all" analogue over everything approach lol.

I personally don't think DSD256 is necessarily doing things the "wrong" way so I'll still buy some MoFis here and there if it's a title I like or don't have a great sounding version of. I'll cancel a few of the standing orders I have for albums that I have good pressings of (like Somethin Else).

If anything, maybe this will mean that the mad dash to buy all things MoFi will die down and people will be able to read reviews before buying, or not need to buy out of the FOMO the MoFi releases have had in the past year or two.

Yeah, my original thought was, I'll splurge on this because it'll be the closest pressing to the original master tapes being AAA and a one-step. Nope. So, I'll just live happily with the AP version. I expect these one-steps to stick around for a while. Somethin' Else is a run of 10k. Maybe it'll turn up a Target sale for $80? ;)
I've gotten most of my one steps through Target's sales so that's not a bad idea!

Mofi says they are sorry:

We at Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab are aware of customer complaints regarding use of digital technology in our mastering chain. We apologize for using vague language, allowing false narratives to propagate, and for taking for granted the goodwill and trust our customers place in the Mobile Fidelity brand.
We recognize our conduct has resulted in both anger and confusion in the marketplace. Moving forward, we are adopting a policy of 100% transparency regarding the provenance of our audio products. We are immediately working on updating our websites, future printed materials, and packaging — as well as providing our sales and customer service representatives with these details. We will also provide clear, specific definitions when it comes to Mobile Fidelity marketing branding such as Original Master Recording (OMR) and UltraDisc One-Step (UD1S). We will backfill source information on previous releases so Mobile Fidelity customers can feel as confident in owning their products as we are in making them.
We thank you for your past support and hope you allow us to continue to provide you the best-sounding records possible — an aim we’ve achieved and continue to pursue with pride.

Back