Definitive Audiophile pressings

The problem is that I2S over HDMI isn’t HDMI. It’s using the HDMI cable but not the HDMI protocol so they aren’t compatible. You either need a converter box, hassle and something else in the signal path, or something like the oppo which can be modified to send I2S over HDMI with the addition of a board, or the PS Audio SACD player, because denafrips use the PS Audio standard for sending I2S over HDMI, but it costs $6500 for you and €7,500 for me…
I think the thing I was reading said they used an HDMI converter box that was around $50. So they went from an Oppo via HDMI out to the box which converted to I2S, then into the Pontus' I2S port and that worked for SACD/DSD. I kinda stopped looking though because I don't really need another device and I'm good with my streamer/Roon right now. The Ares doesn't do I2S but does DSD so I have some DSD rips.

I think the thing I was reading said they used an HDMI converter box that was around $50. So they went from an Oppo via HDMI out to the box which converted to I2S, then into the Pontus' I2S port and that worked for SACD/DSD. I kinda stopped looking though because I don't really need another device and I'm good with my streamer/Roon right now. The Ares doesn't do I2S but does DSD so I have some DSD rips.

They do but considering the board that you have to fit to the oppo to do the same thing costs more as just a board I’ve never been completely convinced about the capabilities of that box to deliver what it promises at the highest quality. Maybe I’m just being cynical.

I opened my NIN - Pretty Hate Machine I got from Craft today....

And it is not theirs, so I wrote an email to them, too - (had to send 3rd Man an email for getting the wrong variant also)

It is a United pressing, it isn't an NRP cut - looks like Anne-Marie Suenram's ⋊ is on both side...so it may be good?

I haven't had any issues with her cuts at all, but being a United pressing, I'm sure it sounds like shit.

EDIT - looking at my other PHM copies - it looks like she cut the other 12"s in the box set - and they used a regular WG/NRP for the PHM in the box.

And then she also cut PHM, too? Seems a round about way of doing it.

And I got the usual "unopened packages can be returned for a refund" emails....had to email back to say I had to open it to see that it wasn't what I ordered.

Well see if they do anything about it. I did mention that they need to change their web site so it doesn't include PHM in the Craft Recordings filter w/ the little Craft Recordings logo on the page you order it from....it's a bit misleading

So MoFi are added the "source" to the website - but still no real apology for being misleading and/or outright lying this whole time??

great.

If anyone finds a list I'd be curious to browse it. Not seeing anything on their website.

So assuming there's gonna be some AAA in that list are we assuming those are going to go crazy in price? 😂

If anyone finds a list I'd be curious to browse it. Not seeing anything on their website.

So assuming there's gonna be some AAA in that list are we assuming those are going to go crazy in price? 😂

They are on random pages so far...

David Crosby is digital.
1/4" / 30 IPS analog master to DSD 256

Superfly is analog (but not "original master" - it still sounds amazing)
1/4" / 15 IPS / Dolby A analog copy direct to lathe

Last edited:

Super Fly. I said Super Fly….

0FFC209E-10B2-4626-BCB2-19CDB9A4396F.jpeg

“…

MASTERED ON MOBILE FIDELITY'S WORLD-RENOWNED MASTERING SYSTEM, PRESSED AT RTI, AND LIMITED TO 4,000 NUMBERED COPIES​

1/4" / 15 IPS / Dolby A analog copy direct to lathe”​

They are on random pages so far...

David Crosby is digital.
1/4" / 30 IPS analog master to DSD 256

Superfly is analog.
1/4" / 15 IPS / Dolby A analog copy direct to lathe
Ah, gotcha. I'll wait for someone to come along and assemble a list for me 😂

And I got the usual "unopened packages can be returned for a refund" emails....had to email back to say I had to open it to see that it wasn't what I ordered.

Well see if they do anything about it. I did mention that they need to change their web site so it doesn't include PHM in the Craft Recordings filter w/ the little Craft Recordings logo on the page you order it from....it's a bit misleading

Craft Recordings follows me on Twitter, so I tagged them in a tweet about my deliveries today...

You could add a DSD capable streamer to the DAC that would output to it via USB. Might be out of budget though because the cheapest I’ve seen is the allo usbridge signature which requires you to flash your own choice of software to it, a bit like a pi as a streamer. It’s about $300. Ifi, project and musical fidelity do similar things with propriety software on them for increasing amounts of money. If you’re only spending the cost of a topping DAC though I think they are probably too steep to add onto that price and a USB cable might be the way.
So I may get that Topping I found and run the USB out of my Mac to the Topping and then line out to the Adcom. I found a free player called Pine Player. It actually can open a SACD ISO file and unlock the DSD files. It supports hi rez all the way up to 32bit/768khz. Using it right now with my old Topping VX1 which was just the headphone amp. Works great. The distance from the Mac to DAC would be under 6 feet so not a huge deal. Thanks for the suggestion.

Back