Definitive Audiophile pressings

Mofi says they are sorry:

We at Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab are aware of customer complaints regarding use of digital technology in our mastering chain. We apologize for using vague language, allowing false narratives to propagate, and for taking for granted the goodwill and trust our customers place in the Mobile Fidelity brand.
We recognize our conduct has resulted in both anger and confusion in the marketplace. Moving forward, we are adopting a policy of 100% transparency regarding the provenance of our audio products. We are immediately working on updating our websites, future printed materials, and packaging — as well as providing our sales and customer service representatives with these details. We will also provide clear, specific definitions when it comes to Mobile Fidelity marketing branding such as Original Master Recording (OMR) and UltraDisc One-Step (UD1S). We will backfill source information on previous releases so Mobile Fidelity customers can feel as confident in owning their products as we are in making them.
We thank you for your past support and hope you allow us to continue to provide you the best-sounding records possible — an aim we’ve achieved and continue to pursue with pride.

I had to search for it on the MoFi homepage. Third item link down after Music Sales and Equipment sales. 🤔.

I opened my NIN - Pretty Hate Machine I got from Craft today....

And it is not theirs, so I wrote an email to them, too - (had to send 3rd Man an email for getting the wrong variant also)

It is a United pressing, it isn't an NRP cut - looks like Anne-Marie Suenram's ⋊ is on both side...so it may be good?

I haven't had any issues with her cuts at all, but being a United pressing, I'm sure it sounds like shit.

EDIT - looking at my other PHM copies - it looks like she cut the other 12"s in the box set - and they used a regular WG/NRP for the PHM in the box.

And then she also cut PHM, too? Seems a round about way of doing it.

And I got the usual "unopened packages can be returned for a refund" emails....had to email back to say I had to open it to see that it wasn't what I ordered.

Well see if they do anything about it. I did mention that they need to change their web site so it doesn't include PHM in the Craft Recordings filter w/ the little Craft Recordings logo on the page you order it from....it's a bit misleading

So I got another email from Craft - it seems since Craft and Bicycle are both part of Concord Music Group, they still consider any Bicycle pressing to be a part of the "Craft Recordings Collection".

They did change the blurb on the web page and add a Discogs link - but it goes to the wrong submission. At least the 180 Gram version...what I got was 150 or so.

I wrote them back saying to include it in "Craft Recordings Collection" was misleading when I - and others were expecting to get the labels specific version - not this other thing.

I also gave them the correct Discogs link.

So I got another email from Craft - it seems since Craft and Bicycle are both part of Concord Music Group, they still consider any Bicycle pressing to be a part of the "Craft Recordings Collection".

They did change the blurb on the web page and add a Discogs link - but it goes to the wrong submission. At least the 180 Gram version...what I got was 150 or so.

I wrote them back saying to include it in "Craft Recordings Collection" was misleading when I - and others were expecting to get the labels specific version - not this other thing.

I also gave them the correct Discogs link.
Yeah I do not relish attempting to find the proper Craft pressing without shipping it from Europe.

Yeah I do not relish attempting to find the proper Craft pressing without shipping it from Europe.

And shipping it from here is likely to mean secondary.

After all the chatter here I decided that I remembered liking that and had a look around and could find nowhere selling that version new. It’s all cogs or eBay really.

The real issue with that release is that there are SO MANY VERSIONS of it pressed.

And you really don't know what you're getting most of the time.

The version I got has decent reviews on Discogs, though.

Last edited:
Side note... I am hereby employing all of you to look out for something for me. I've decided that I want the 1982 Half Speed CBS Mastersound "Wish You Were Here" as my final copy. If any of you see it anywhere, in NM or Mint, and you don't want it yourself... please tell me. I am prepared to spend... a lot.

I've had it in my hands a couple times, but never really found one in good enough to buy.

The only Mastersound I own is Born To Run...and I like the way it sounds.

I think I found one in the Goodwill bins one time - it was the right sleeve - but the regular retail record inside.

I was a bit miffed.

That was back when one could find Pink Floyd at Goodwill

Is there a difference between the 1980 and the 1982 Mastersound releases?
Yep, apparently for the 80 they didn't properly adjust the EQ for the half speed process. That's the 33453. They corrected it for the 43453 release in 1982. I have the 80 and it sounds fantastic, but mines just a bit too noisy for this to be my final copy, so if the 82 sounds better as it apparently does, it must be incredible.

My Born To Run is also a later, new cat # - HC 43795 vs the 1980 release's HC 33795
I would expect a lot of the 80 pressings had this error. But again, my WYWH sounds fantastic and isn't lacking any bass (apparently this was the issue) so I think it's blown a little out of proportion. But either way I'd prefer the corrected one. But the 33453 commands a pretty penny as well so obviously it's not a huge issue to collector's...

The real issue with that release is that there are SO MANY VERSIONS of it pressed.

And you really don't know what you're getting most of the time.

The version I got has decent reviews on Discogs, though.

Did you decide to keep it or send it back? I'll spin mine and might put up a fuss but still end up keeping it as I have no time for searching out a better copy.

Side note... I am hereby employing all of you to look out for something for me. I've decided that I want the 1982 Half Speed CBS Mastersound "Wish You Were Here" as my final copy. If any of you see it anywhere, in NM or Mint, and you don't want it yourself... please tell me. I am prepared to spend... a lot.
I’ll keep an eye out. Make sure you get the one with the right deadwax though! There are also weird hybrid ones that have the 43 on one side and the 33 on another

I would expect a lot of the 80 pressings had this error. But again, my WYWH sounds fantastic and isn't lacking any bass (apparently this was the issue) so I think it's blown a little out of proportion. But either way I'd prefer the corrected one. But the 33453 commands a pretty penny as well so obviously it's not a huge issue to collector's...

I have a UK original of WYWH that sounds good enough for me. Maybe a little surface noise in some quite parts, but overall I can't complain.

Looks like it's been a couple years since I spun it - I may need to get it out this weekend.

fp611L.jpg

Back