Definitive Audiophile pressings

So, a nice pressing of Joni Mitchell "Blue"...

Any advice on that?
The pressing in this box is as good as or better than any other I've heard, including that 2020 pressing @keylime_5 listed (which I think is a repress of that 2007 listing). Price has been falling on this, so why stop at Blue? :) (especially given the prices being asked for those KPG pressings).

Amazon product ASIN B091WCSTL8

Yeah the box set version by BG is supposed to be the best if you want the rest of her early albums too. Great price too for the quality/quantity.

The 2007 is KG@ATM with Steve Hoffman. The 2020 is a new cut by Kevin Gray at Coherant, but both sound pretty much the same. Both pressed at RTI, housed in tip-on gatefolds.

Finally got my Sundazed order from their scratch and dent sale. The "damage" on them is all laughably small. Didn't notice anything particularly bad with them aside from one having a small bent corner.

Some surprise boom booms 💥💥 in there. Sly and the Family Stone - Dance To The Music, the VU comp, Otis Rush - Mourning in the Morning and Johnny Cash - With His Hot and Blue Guitar were all KG cuts. Got all those plus Otis Redding - The Soul Album and Canned Heat self-titled mono for $85. Might be worth checking out the sale if it's still on.

I grabbed the Skip Spence-Oar from that sale (also a KG cut) and it sounds great. Good luck finding an original of that one for a reasonable price too.

I grabbed the Skip Spence-Oar from that sale (also a KG cut) and it sounds great. Good luck finding an original of that one for a reasonable price too.
I was hoping the Otis Soul Album was the KG cut but sadly it wasn't. But for $12, can't complain too much!

The pressing in this box is as good as or better than any other I've heard, including that 2020 pressing @keylime_5 listed (which I think is a repress of that 2007 listing). Price has been falling on this, so why stop at Blue? :) (especially given the prices being asked for those KPG pressings).

Amazon product ASIN B091WCSTL8

Great suggestion! Will check availability locally.

Great advice! Now it's either one of those or plunge for the box set suggested.
I have the KG cut and it's awesome. But everybody I know with the box set also loves it and if you can't find the KG cut at or around original list price then the box would be a good move if someone local to you sells it!

What's the deal with Scott Nangle Audio? Is that the crazy shop that @Joe Mac talks about? They seem to have something in stock that I want but not sure if it's worth ordering from him or not...

FWIW, I'm not sure how many bad Blue pressings are out there. The original Grundman is great too. With that said, I agree with the masses that it's hard to go wrong with the most recent pricing and quality wise unless you want vintage really badly.

What's the deal with Scott Nangle Audio? Is that the crazy shop that @Joe Mac talks about? They seem to have something in stock that I want but not sure if it's worth ordering from him or not...

Don’t do it! Absolutely don’t do it! The guy is fucking crazy. If it works he will dispatch it next day and gravy. If it doesn’t you enter the twilight zone of bizarre English, articles about the universal masters fire repeatedly and without relevance, circular logic and eventually after you’ve lost the will to live and many months later he’ll have a pop at you for some made up reason and you’ll get the refund.

Don’t do it! Absolutely don’t do it! The guy is fucking crazy. If it works he will dispatch it next day and gravy. If it doesn’t you enter the twilight zone of bizarre English, articles about the universal masters fire repeatedly and without relevance, circular logic and eventually after you’ve lost the will to live and many months later he’ll have a pop at you for some made up reason and you’ll get the refund.
I think you should handle his advertising from here on out ;)

ugh haha. it's the only place that has an album i have been looking for for awhile at a decent price...which probably means he doesn't actually have it...but...

Back