Definitive Audiophile pressings

The 14 arrived today…

No more this year…
giphy.gif

as long as record city doesn't raise their prices, you'll be good!

Speaking of which, this box arrived today. Last one for a while, I swear!

Everything was EX vinyl. Green Thoughts and Power Station are US pressings. Especially For You is the only Japanese pressing I got without the obi. That one was a bit of a white whale for me, hoping it would get reissued. No need now because, this copy is, how do you say that @Joe Mac , the dog's bollocks? It's the only one I spun so far but all are cleaned and ready to go. Can't wait to A/B the Rio vs my 2014 reissue.

IMG_1778.JPG

Raise prices and drop vinyl weight from 200g to 180gram. Makes sense.
There isn’t really any noticeable difference between 200g and 180g. 200 is supposedly even harder to get a clean pressing. 200 always seemed like a marketing gimmick anyway. It’s the mastering and pressing plant that matters more than how many grams it is.

There isn’t really any noticeable difference between 200g and 180g. 200 is supposedly even harder to get a clean pressing. 200 always seemed like a marketing gimmick anyway. It’s the mastering and pressing plant that matters more than how many grams it is.

180g is pretty unnecessary too. Most old presses, which are often what’s still in use, were built with 140g max in mind so the same could be said for 180g really. I’ve yet to find a convincing sonic argument for going above 120g and doing so would be more efficient and would use less toxic PVC.

180g is pretty unnecessary too. Most old presses, which are often what’s still in use, were built with 140g max in mind so the same could be said for 180g really. I’ve yet to find a convincing sonic argument for going above 120g and doing so would be more efficient and would use less toxic PVC.
Yep. Some of those thinner old records still sound awesome. I have a copy of Nighthawks at the Diner that sounds amazing and I feel like it could easily bend in half like a taco shell.

Yep. Some of those thinner old records still sound awesome. I have a copy of Nighthawks at the Diner that sounds amazing and I feel like it could easily bend in half like a taco shell.

Yeah same. Apart from some amazing standard older pressings the Beatle’s MoFi pressings are on very thin vinyl too and they sound great. The only possible benefit I can think of sonically would be better coupling with the platter but let’s face it if you’re springing for AP records regularly you should really be spending that once for a clamp or weight to provide that for every record!

Speaking of which, this box arrived today. Last one for a while, I swear!

Everything was EX vinyl. Green Thoughts and Power Station are US pressings. Especially For You is the only Japanese pressing I got without the obi. That one was a bit of a white whale for me, hoping it would get reissued. No need now because, this copy is, how do you say that @Joe Mac , the dog's bollocks? It's the only one I spun so far but all are cleaned and ready to go. Can't wait to A/B the Rio vs my 2014 reissue.

View attachment 111521
Nice grabs! Huge Roxy Music fan, I have the box set, and I can say after all these years of owning their CDs and records, I’ve never listened to Flesh + Blood.

Nice grabs! Huge Roxy Music fan, I have the box set, and I can say after all these years of owning their CDs and records, I’ve never listened to Flesh + Blood.
I had the US vinyl pressing of Flesh + Blood and enjoyed it the few times I listened to it but it eventually got cut from the collection. It’s a Bob Ludwig cut and sounds quite good if nothing else!

I have a huge soft spot for Flesh + Blood. “Over You” is a gorgeous tune. “Same Old Scene” is a jam. It’s my favorite late-period Roxy Music album (I like it better than Avalon… time to hop on another thread and rank Roxy albums I guess!).

Last edited:

It's critically at the bottom of the pile of Roxy Music records, but I like it well enough. Definitively different from what came before so expectations and all that. But, if you imagine it's an early New Romantic record (or the prequel to Ferry's Boys & Girls), it's decent in its own right. Possibly the best sounding of their records in fact. I think what hurts most is opening with the In The Midnight Hour cover. That tune just feels out of place. I love Oh Yeah, Same Old Scene and Over You, so that anchors it for me.

Back