Definitive Audiophile pressings

There isn’t really any noticeable difference between 200g and 180g. 200 is supposedly even harder to get a clean pressing. 200 always seemed like a marketing gimmick anyway. It’s the mastering and pressing plant that matters more than how many grams it is.
I don’t disagree. I just feel like we are getting “less“ for more. They’ve raised prices and lowered the gimmick.

I don’t disagree. I just feel like we are getting “less“ for more. They’ve raised prices and lowered the gimmick.
Eh--I'm okay with the price hike--was bound to happen sooner rather than later. $5 won't break the bank for me if they have good quality control. I did preorder some back-ordered titles now though to lock in the pricing haha.

I'm fine with no gimmick either. Just give me some well-mastered titles that are flat and pressed well. Maybe the VMP price hike made me numb to relatively smaller price hikes in general though since the VMP one was so gigantic.

Last edited:
Just got the Mingus at Antibes and the Carnegie set. I’ve been on a kick this past week. The SC of Antibes is great! Super quiet vinyl and sounds better than my Piros cut though not by a whole lot. The Carnegie set is amazing! Such a great deal for what it’s going for. I haven’t streamed it since it was released but damn the first set (sides 1-4) are an absolute treasure. The band is firing! Possibly the most swinging Fables has ever sounded and Big Alice is the treasure. Super happy to have both.

I would like some Chopin Nocturnes on vinyl. I realize classical on vinyl is limited, but any suggested good versions would be great.
I don't own any, but have heard that the Connoisseur Society had some really nice quality pressings. I grabbed some classical records from my father-in-law last week but didn't have any Chopin in there.

This might be a good one to check out!

Vol 1 as well if you can find clean copies.

Just got the Mingus at Antibes and the Carnegie set. I’ve been on a kick this past week. The SC of Antibes is great! Super quiet vinyl and sounds better than my Piros cut though not by a whole lot. The Carnegie set is amazing! Such a great deal for what it’s going for. I haven’t streamed it since it was released but damn the first set (sides 1-4) are an absolute treasure. The band is firing! Possibly the most swinging Fables has ever sounded and Big Alice is the treasure. Super happy to have both.
Mine is out for delivery today!

I would like some Chopin Nocturnes on vinyl. I realize classical on vinyl is limited, but any suggested good versions would be great.

I don't know personally but music wise, Grammaphone has a few articles discussing the best Chopin recordings

The original (ASD) of this is quite expensive, but I'd be tempted to give another pressing a try

edit - has a quite cheap Hi-Q repress from 2015

Last edited:
While we wait for an "Audiophile" pressing, very impressed with this one, kind of random, but I was gifted it from my daughter and it's pretty solid, clear vinyl and all. Quiet, flat and dynamic. :)

I saw this one in a shop recently and was tempted to pick it up, but I held back in hopes that it would get a Rocktober or SYEOR pressing.

Awesome gift from your daughter though! I have a CD rip of it that's awesome but really want a cleaner copy on vinyl. Mine is a bit beat up.

I used to have the Tony Visconti remaster on CD and it was so awfully compressed and loud. The vinyl used the same remaster so I sold it and got an original US Reprise, which are supposedly even better than the UK versions. I hope we get a Rhino reissue of more T.Rex albums besides Electric Warrior, but Demon Records seems to be the only company putting out those reissues currently. I wonder if there is a licensing issue maybe that keeps Rhino from putting it out?

I saw this one in a shop recently and was tempted to pick it up, but I held back in hopes that it would get a Rocktober or SYEOR pressing.

Awesome gift from your daughter though! I have a CD rip of it that's awesome but really want a cleaner copy on vinyl. Mine is a bit beat up.
I was in the same boat and or finding an OG at some point, I have a list that the family always has access to...........just in case, lol, and she grabbed it based on that. It's comparable to a good Rhino pressing.

I used to have the Tony Visconti remaster on CD and it was so awfully compressed and loud. The vinyl used the same remaster so I sold it and got an original US Reprise, which are supposedly even better than the UK versions. I hope we get a Rhino reissue of more T.Rex albums besides Electric Warrior, but Demon Records seems to be the only company putting out those reissues currently. I wonder if there is a licensing issue maybe that keeps Rhino from putting it out?
I have a rip of the Sounds Marketing System CD which is pretty awesome sounding.

I hope they reissue more TRex too. I have this Rocktober pressing which I remember sounding pretty solid but haven't spun it in awhile:

The japanese pressing of Slider I picked up last week is pretty solid if anyone wishes to explore that route. Good to know the Demon records is good though, I was always weary of picking that up.

The japanese pressing of Slider I picked up last week is pretty solid if anyone wishes to explore that route. Good to know the Demon records is good though, I was always weary of picking that up.
which specific one did you get again? i thought Demon records looked like a bootleg when I saw it in a shop a few weeks ago haha. i should have researched it!

Anybody have recs on Eno pressings? Looking specifically for Before and After Science and Taking Tiger Mountain. The Abbey Road 45s were tempting but a bit worried about the flow of the albums and it also seems that a bunch of copies had weird volume fluctuations/dropouts...

which specific one did you get again? i thought Demon records looked like a bootleg when I saw it in a shop a few weeks ago haha. i should have researched it!

Demon are a reissue label that is ultimately owned by the BBC. I’ve not seen them go into grey label but then it’s rare to have grey label from the U.K. They seem to have the rights to the T Rex catalogue in U.K. & Ireland (probably across Europe but I’ve not checked outside here and U.K. to know).

Their pressings have been on the good to very end of standard in my experience. I was impressed by the Suede and Kirsty MacColl reissues that they did and the T Rex best of I have is fine.

it was the 1977 Odeon:

Demon are a reissue label that is ultimately owned by the BBC. I’ve not seen them go into grey label but then it’s rare to have grey label from the U.K. They seem to have the rights to the T Rex catalogue in U.K. & Ireland (probably across Europe but I’ve not checked outside here and U.K. to know.

Their pressings have been on the good to very end of standard in my experience. I was impressed by the Suede and Kirsty MacColl reissues that they did and the T Rex best of I have is fine.

IIRC it was them that reissued the different Pretenders albums that got bad reviews. In the end, those reviews were why I ended up going different avenues for those (went MOFI for the 1st and 3rd and got that japanese pressing of the 4th yesterday). But I have a few other Demon pressings and they're fine.

Back