Definitive Audiophile pressings

I forget, but it's probably me describing it wrong. If you search back to my original post, there is a lengthy discussion & lot's of post from more informed people (probably you) on this & the one step process.

I know there is a kinda random 2 step process where they use the father to make less mother’s than usual to make stampers and use up the rest of its life to press one steps which are usually sold off at the beginning of the run. It’s really a mix of one step and normal but I’ve seen it described as 2 step. I think the first run of the Neil Young Greatest Hits that everyone loves was done that way.

I didn’t think it was possible to press from a lacquer or a mother because both are effectively the same as the record so a vinyl press from either would give you the opposite imprint to the music. Plus the lacquer itself would surely be too fragile?

You can print from the father, one step, and a stamper made form the mother because both are the opposite image to the music and so press it perfectly. Or at least that was how I always understood the process…

We went over this a while back trying to figure out what the (2) meant. IIRC, it's referred to as two-step, but it's more of a quicker 3-step process that RTI can do. The upshot is that the resulting stamper is produced faster but it can only be used for short runs.

We went over this a while back trying to figure out what the (2) meant. IIRC, it's referred to as two-step, but it's more of a quicker 3-step process that RTI can do. The upshot is that the resulting stamper is produced faster but it can only be used for short runs.

RTI almost telling us what is going on....

Screenshot 2021-07-26 at 21.50.37.png

1, 2 or 3 step

Does anyone know how quickly they are pressing the Kind of Blue UHQRs? Ordered mine from Music Direct early on, starting get impatient, but appreciate it could still be another 6 months.
Worth sending them an email. When I didnt see any movement I emailed and they got back a day or 2 later. That could have been because they wanted me to add more items to my order to get around the tax thing, but still a quick-ish response time.

Your record shop lets you open an inspect new records before you buy them!!!
Not really supposed to but I also bring a hair dryer to seal the shrink back up if it doesn't say KPG@CA in the deadwax ;) (kidding...)

My old local, before I moved, had quite a few newer unsealed releases from time to time. This was before I started paying attention to the deadwax. I only just recently heard about the diameter of the rings being an indication of where the record was pressed. Kinda crazy that most plants had different sized ones.

I do remember when I used to go to flea markets there was always one guy who had a portable record player that was battery powered with him. He collected 45s and always listened to ones that he wasn't familiar with to see if he wanted to buy them haha.

I always picture you in a record store, pouring over the dead wax with a giant Sherlock Holmes magnifying glass and a jewelers loupe. When you find a KPG in the dead wax, your fist shoots up and you yell "BOOM BOOM!!" in triumph
200.gif

Now I gotta start bringing a ruler to the record shop?!

And a good pair of reading glasses to read the deadwax (and maybe a light too, preferably the kind you wear on your forehead).

One of these, preferably.

Amazon product ASIN B085DRM3WL
If you're going digging for records, might as well do it in style!

Any of you fine folks happen to know where I can find a MOV copy of Bridge Over Troubled Water? I know these are still around in stores somewhere. I ordered one from Cogs and of course it arrived looking like this:
20210719_123111.jpg
And then I ordered a second one from a different store on cogs and they don't actually have the album. Anyhow if any of you run into one of these please lemme know...

Last edited:
Any of you fine folks happen to know where I can find a MOV copy of Bridge Over Troubled Water? I know these are still around in stores somewhere. I ordered one from Cogs and of course it arrived looking like this:View attachment 106875View attachment 106877
And then I ordered a second one from a different store on cogs and they don't actually have the album. Anyhow if any of you run into one of these please lemme know...
Are you looking for the MOV instead of the Sundazed KG cut because it's supposedly easier to find? After my snafu of being sent a scratched "sundazed" pressing that was actually a beat up old pressing, a sundazed copy popped up on discogs for $25. we'll see if i just get another person's dollar bin record or not, but if you're patient you may find the KG one on discogs too. I haven't seen the MOV one anywhere recently in stores but will keep an eye out for ya.

Any of you fine folks happen to know where I can find a MOV copy of Bridge Over Troubled Water? I know these are still around in stores somewhere. I ordered one from Cogs and of course it arrived looking like this:View attachment 106875View attachment 106877

I don't, but interested in why the MOV? Isn't the US Columbia Legacy an RKS RTI pressing?

Are you looking for the MOV instead of the Sundazed KG cut because it's supposedly easier to find? After my snafu of being sent a scratched "sundazed" pressing that was actually a beat up old pressing, a sundazed copy popped up on discogs for $25. we'll see if i just get another person's dollar bin record or not, but if you're patient you may find the KG one on discogs too. I haven't seen the MOV one anywhere recently in stores but will keep an eye out for ya.
No it's because it's the RKS cut and I find that a lot of those older Sundazed that have KPG in the deadwax weren't actually mastered by him and he just cut the lacquer. So some sound great and others not so much. I have no idea of that's the case with this one or not though. So instead of searching through multiple copies which gets SUPER annoying, I know this MOV sounds good so I just want to get a clean copy.

Back