Definitive Audiophile pressings

The amount of people trying to flip Jeff Beck MoFi is insane to me. I’m in a few MoFi Facebook groups and people are asking for crazy trades or $150+ cash. The record isn’t even out of print or sold out! Retailers are getting their copies soon and only 2,000 were pressed/sold so far apparently…
It’s the new norm, for now at least. Legit everyone is asking stupid prices for everything - nothing makes sense yet people are paying. I don’t get it!

Edit: And the flip side of them pressing them in batches is those who buy them the first round will buy them the second, just to flip. It sadly only feeds the fire.

Last edited:
That's interesting because the specs look no different from the old SACD that was released in 2003 and can be found pretty easily online for a lot less than $35.

I have the 2003 SACD. I was wondering whether it’s any different. Doesn’t seem so.

Fwiw, that 2003 5.1 mix is F-ing Fantastic. Transformative for me. I realize 5.1 is not for everyone, and the mix is subjective, but I love it.

my suspicion is the old version was rendered obsolete because of floyd's record label shuffling a few years ago. like you guys i haven't seen anything that indicates this is any different than the 2003 30th anniversary edition (fuck, has it been almost 20 years since THAT already...), save for the new artwork. still, i'll probably get one, but only when the animals set goes up for order.

all the floyd related sacds have been pretty good, imo, even roger's solo live albums and the opera he did that were released on the format.

Definitely not audiophile, but the new LAMF pressing from the Heartbreakers is awesome and best it’s ever sounded. I think domestic (US) allocated copies are slowly trickling in. I would imagine that this version will continue to get reissued and repackaged for eternity too.

Does anyone have this and care to comment on sound quality? I'm gunna guess nothing special but it appears to be the only Park Simon comp on vinyl:

Definitely not audiophile, but the new LAMF pressing from the Heartbreakers is awesome and best it’s ever sounded. I think domestic (US) allocated copies are slowly trickling in. I would imagine that this version will continue to get reissued and repackaged for eternity too.

Nice. Do you know how it compares to the PORKY? I was surprised that it mostly sounded fine after reading all the stories of it being terrible.

Does anyone have this and care to comment on sound quality? I'm gunna guess nothing special but it appears to be the only Park Simon comp on vinyl:

I have it and it sounds great to me. I grabbed it for cheap off Amazon

sidenote…it’s my 6 year old daughters favorite album of mine :)

Also wondering if anyone knows where the self titled Link Wray reissues were pressed? The VMP one appears to have been RTI but I can't find any info on the others. Anyone know the RTI matrix code?

Nice. Do you know how it compares to the PORKY? I was surprised that it mostly sounded fine after reading all the stories of it being terrible.
Absolutely no idea. I never tried to buy an OG since I was always turned off by the sound and everything I’ve read online indicated it wasn’t great. I’d like to hear a comparison if anyone here has both by chance?

Also wondering if anyone knows where the self titled Link Wray reissues were pressed? The VMP one appears to have been RTI but I can't find any info on the others. Anyone know the RTI matrix code?

The runout for the green vinyl VMP (Side A) is 27842.1(2).. FDR633/B0025910-01-A

HOLY SON OF A DICK this Neil Young Greatest Hits pressing is the fucking TRUTH.
Jesus.
This thing sounds like a One Step...

Goddamit.

GODDAMIT.

I DO NOT NEED ANYMORE NEIL YOUNG
I DO NOT NEED ANYMORE NEIL YOUNG
I DO NEED MORE NEIL YOUNG FUUUUUUU
So my Neil Young greatest hits came today...and I have to agree with @Mather. It sounds really good. Like, REALLY fucking good. Stunning separation and clarity. I was blown away by how clear and crisp the guitar sounds from the start of Down by the River. And no issues with the pressing straight out of the packaging, which is also really well done. High quality stuff.

I don't have any OG studio album pressings to compare it with aside from Tonight's the Night, but I don't remember them sounding this good.

I would not hesitate if you come across one for a decent price. This could compete with any MoFi or AP I have in the collection. Very happy I bought this.

I think that .1(2) indicates RTI. And that's present on the subsequent non VMP presses so I'm hoping that means they're all RTI...

The dots after the (2) are important too. I think if they're present, it was pressed at RTI and if not, it was just plated there. But I'm not 100% certain on that if anyone wants to chime in.

The dots after the (2) are important too. I think if they're present, it was pressed at RTI and if not, it was just plated there. But I'm not 100% certain on that if anyone wants to chime in.
Yeah the two newer ones have the 3 dots as well. SO CONFUSING...

Does anyone know how quickly they are pressing the Kind of Blue UHQRs? Ordered mine from Music Direct early on, starting get impatient, but appreciate it could still be another 6 months.

That's really interesting

For the RTI pressings it's also quiet easy to tell from the dead wax. They have the following format.

xxxxx.x (x)

4-5 digits, followed by a decimal point: the number after the decimal point that indicates the side.
then, the number in parentheses Indicates the manufacturing process, a 2 means it was pressed direct from the lacquer or mother & 3 means that it was pressed from a normal stamper. (I don't know if they use a 1 for one steps, I should check).

so 12345.2 (2)

would indicate side 2 & that it was a direct pressing from the mother or lacquer.

The only thing to be careful about is if there are additional numbers etched, it could indicate that the lacquer was made at RTI but the vinyl pressed somewhere else.

edit - this is where the ring knowledge would come in really handy

I haven't watched this recently but found it quite interesting few years ago

I didn't know anything about the dots after the numbers. It'd be interesting to find out if that is the case. I have a few RTI plated but pressed at Optimal (UK Talking Heads springs to mind).

There is a post in here about how to tell RTI pressing by the diameter of the rings/circles made by the press.

That's really interesting

For the RTI pressings it's also quiet easy to tell from the dead wax. They have the following format.

xxxxx.x (x)

4-5 digits, followed by a decimal point: the number after the decimal point that indicates the side.
then, the number in parentheses Indicates the manufacturing process, a 2 means it was pressed direct from the lacquer or mother & 3 means that it was pressed from a normal stamper. (I don't know if they use a 1 for one steps, I should check).

so 12345.2 (2)

would indicate side 2 & that it was a direct pressing from the mother or lacquer.

The only thing to be careful about is if there are additional numbers etched, it could indicate that the lacquer was made at RTI but the vinyl pressed somewhere else.

edit - this is where the ring knowledge would come in really handy

I haven't watched this recently but found it quite interesting few years ago

I didn’t think it was possible to press from a lacquer or a mother because both are effectively the same as the record so a vinyl press from either would give you the opposite imprint to the music. Plus the lacquer itself would surely be too fragile?

You can print from the father, one step, and a stamper made form the mother because both are the opposite image to the music and so press it perfectly. Or at least that was how I always understood the process…

Yeah the two newer ones have the 3 dots as well. SO CONFUSING...

I didn't know anything about the dots after the numbers. It'd be interesting to find out if that is the case. I have a few RTI plated but pressed at Optimal (UK Talking Heads springs to mind).

There is a post in here about how to tell RTI pressing by the diameter of the rings/circles made by the press.

Yes, I think that BO###### suggests it's a 2017 Optimal pressing, which fits.

I posted about the ring diameters - this is the site to check for that: LP Pressing Rings And The Mystery Of The Deep Groove (April, 2021 Update)

I didn’t think it was possible to press from a lacquer or a mother because both are effectively the same as the record so a vinyl press from either would give you the opposite imprint to the music. Plus the lacquer itself would surely be too fragile?

You can print from the father, one step, and a stamper made form the mother because both are the opposite image to the music and so press it perfectly. Or at least that was how I always understood the process…

I forget, but it's probably me describing it wrong. If you search back to my original post, there is a lengthy discussion & lot's of post from more informed people (probably you) on this & the one step process.

Back