Definitive Audiophile pressings

They're good, but slow. No issue on a refund for an issue I had, except that it's taking 10 days to process. But they have been polite in every message.
Yeah they aren’t the fastest but they’re stellar. If they can help you out they will. Only gripe is if it’s not an AP pressing you’ll usually have to mail back your defective pressing and you’ll have to wait for them to receive before they mail a new one, but not the biggest deal. Just a pain

If you really need another copy it probably makes sense to go 45 for this, I have those exact copies RKS/KG , the 40th Anniversary Box and the Mofi, the Mofi certainly has more bottom end, some people don't like it but it is certainly different to your 2 copies, I haven't sat down and done any comparison, maybe I should, don't listen to it much these days, but it certainly is a phenomenal album and a nice recording for a change .
oing to buy a 4th copy of this darn album aren't I?

@Andy I think I'm team 33, but the album sides actually break up pretty well for the 45...my great 33s (SRX, etc) are hard to beat, my 45 often best my v good 33. Sigh... Maybe I'm 45

Edit: I listened this morning to the 2013 RKS and the 2010 KG (which really is terrific and such a bargain) if I buy again, I might be the 45. So much of the album is in that lower-middle register, that if I'm to take a flyer on a new copy it would be partially to see what happens at the lower end. I've never owned the MoFi 45 though and I'd be curious as the feedback of those that have done the compare.

Sidenote: It also really hammers home for the why I've almost found KGs mastering more appealing -- his sense of the mid range and sensitivity to to the clarity of horns without drifting into the overly bright is just consistently better to my ears. These two cuts are night and day in presentation and the KG is head and shoulders stronger.

In other news, nice obit on Al Smith recording engineer in the NY times

Al Schmitt, Maestro of Recorded Sound, Is Dead at 91 Al Schmitt, Maestro of Recorded Sound, Is Dead at 91

I know this is becoming harder to find so...

For those for whom this might be your jam... This sounds pretty great, is widely available and I bought mine (2LP) for $25 new. I don't know the recording or mastering details -- and the presentation is "Roy + band" (e.g. He's the clear upfront presence in the mix with the orchestra and band as a supporting elements)

Edit: Having spent the morning listening to some really well recorded records, I'm going to gently this back...just a bit. Roy definitely sounds great, but it cheats the band a little. Hit really hit the spot on a Sunday morning, but it's nowhere near the quality of the Pharoah Sanders I'm spinning bright now

(If you've not seen it, the movie/DVD is a wonder -- Roy with the best supporting band possible, Jackson Browne, T Bone Burnett, Elvis Costello, k.d.lang, Bonnie Raitt, JD Souther, Bruce Springsteen, Tom Wiut, Jennifer Warnes -- all with amazing affection and joy playing together)

I'm sure this will end up in some sale bins and it's a great walk-through of his catalog. The 30th anniversary adjusted the running order to match the actual concert vs the DVD.

Edit: the blu-ray is $23 on amazon, and the HD stream is $15 to buy... As much as I love shiny black discs...if you are only doing one, I'd say watch the movie

Url: https://www.discogs.com/Roy-Orbison-Black-White-Night-30/release/14344091

Last edited:
Day 18:
Just sitting here thinking about all the 1-star Google Reviews of the Fox Valley, IL USPS location. Wondering if the Lateef One-step will ever finally be released from this USPS hostage situation.

View attachment 97943
My old post office's name was literally "Hell's Gate" and they also had a 1 star review I think. Always got my records from there. I'm guessing it will all be alright.

Is the 45 coming later we think?
Well 25,000 copies available and people still freaking out. Website is overloaded. Was able to squeak in an order. This audiophile feeding frenzy \ flippers is getting really fucking old fast. Not as bad as trying to get the MM SRX or small batch, but the stress of trying to get these things is sucking a lot of the fun out of collecting.

/rant

It was limit 3 per customer. That's just weird and does nothing to stave off flippers.

Back