Definitive Audiophile pressings

I assumed you always eat out too; but if I’m spending around $200-$250 on food per week then I guess my spending habits are just very different! I’m actually really lucky in regards to money (even though I don’t save/put money away)!

I don’t think I can do $50/month - because that’s only 1 VMP ROTM per month for me! I’m lucky I get a free ROTM per month + free membership! I’m going to try and aim to do $100/month because RSD is coming up and I want that Slum Village Fantastic Vol II and Donny Hathaway Live! I want to still do 2-3 VMP ROTM’s per month + 1 VMP exclusive per month! So far, i have to do minimum $100/month.

I feel really good now because I know that most people have to make sacrifices and you are sacrificing on splurging on food whereas I’m not. However, I’m not putting any money away in my savings account whereas you would be! So it really is spending habits in the end! Like you’ll probably retire younger and be comfortable whereas I won’t, so it’s interesting!

I’m going to sell some of my records and be a bit more smart with my money, but it’ll take time for me to know how to exactly work with my income as I’m a bit all over the place! I still want to live week to week, but have more of a vision of my budgeting

Forgive me, but if you’re spending $1000/month on food, and getting as many records as you are it seems like the only thing you’re sacrificing is your financial stability and path to an easier breezier future in exchange for pleasure. I don’t think I’ve ever heard anyone say “I still want to live week to week”. I watched my parents and their parents live week to week and saw the discord and pain that created in their lives. Living week to week was the hardest and most stressful time for me and is something I wouldn’t wish upon anyone. The sacrifice I spoke of that helped set me up for success was only getting one record a month when I wanted 20 and putting the other $75-$50 away into savings, or eating peanut butter and jelly sandwiches or whatever was left in the pantry when I was hungry as opposed to reaching for my phone and dropping $30 on lunch. I’m saving so I can start a family, buy a home, and travel on a whim without worrying if it will derail me financially, I find that realizing every dollar that I spend is a dollar that I’m taking away from that vision to be a helpful motivator. That being said, I have no idea how much you make but if you’re living paycheck to paycheck while still making what you refer to as good money then something is probably wrong with your spending habits, not just that they differ from someone else’s but they may be actively sabotaging you. I only write this from a place of love, I want to see you be able to get to a place where you can afford vinyl with out it coming at such a potential cost towards your future, because what seems fun and innocent now is likely to be looked back upon as a big “Doh!” In the future.

Forgive me, but if you’re spending $1000/month on food, and getting as many records as you are it seems like the only thing you’re sacrificing is your financial stability and path to an easier breezier future in exchange for pleasure. I don’t think I’ve ever heard anyone say “I still want to live week to week”. . . I only write this from a place of love, I want to see you be able to get to a place where you can afford vinyl with out it coming at such a potential cost towards your future, because what seems fun and innocent now is likely to be looked back upon as a big “Doh!” In the future.
What he said (and said very well).

Buying audiophile records and paying VMP premiums are pure luxuries, as is spending $200/week on restaurant food. Luxuries are fine in small doses or if you have the financial wherewithal for larger doses.

More importantly, records and food as luxuries are very different. Most of these expensive records can be re-sold at a manageable loss (often profit).

Restaurant food is shit within a day.

Last edited:
What he said (and said very well).

Buying audiophile records and paying VMP premiums are pure luxuries, as is spending $200/week on restaurant food. Luxuries are fine in small doses or if you have the financial wherewithal for larger doses.

More importantly, records and food as luxuries are very different. Most of these expensive records can be re-sold at a manageable loss at worst (often profit).

Restaurant food is shit within a day.
I agree with the points you and @Ghost are making. And since the theme here seems to be maintaining a reasonable hold on reality where personal finances are concerned, I would add the following regarding your statement:"Most of these expensive records can be re-sold at a manageable loss at worst (often profit)." While this may be true today, it could be nothing but a puff of smoke 10 years from now, so counting on that payoff probably shouldn't factor in to anyone's calculations for their future well being. I have good reason to hope I'm overly pessimistic in this particular instance, but I think it's an important part of the reality check.

While this may be true today, it could be nothing but a puff of smoke 10 years from now, so counting on that payoff probably shouldn't factor in to anyone's calculations for their future well being. I have good reason to hope I'm overly pessimistic in this particular instance, but I think it's an important part of the reality check.
Agreed, and I didn't want to blather on more than I already had, so I didn't express what I had in mind when I wrote that -- namely, that, compared to food one shits out, selling records is a short-term option in case of emergency cash problem. I do not think of records as a long-term investment/financial plan, especially for current pressings that can be repressed in unlimited quantities.

Forgive me, but if you’re spending $1000/month on food, and getting as many records as you are it seems like the only thing you’re sacrificing is your financial stability and path to an easier breezier future in exchange for pleasure. I don’t think I’ve ever heard anyone say “I still want to live week to week”. I watched my parents and their parents live week to week and saw the discord and pain that created in their lives. Living week to week was the hardest and most stressful time for me and is something I wouldn’t wish upon anyone. The sacrifice I spoke of that helped set me up for success was only getting one record a month when I wanted 20 and putting the other $75-$50 away into savings, or eating peanut butter and jelly sandwiches or whatever was left in the pantry when I was hungry as opposed to reaching for my phone and dropping $30 on lunch. I’m saving so I can start a family, buy a home, and travel on a whim without worrying if it will derail me financially, I find that realizing every dollar that I spend is a dollar that I’m taking away from that vision to be a helpful motivator. That being said, I have no idea how much you make but if you’re living paycheck to paycheck while still making what you refer to as good money then something is probably wrong with your spending habits, not just that they differ from someone else’s but they may be actively sabotaging you. I only write this from a place of love, I want to see you be able to get to a place where you can afford vinyl with out it coming at such a potential cost towards your future, because what seems fun and innocent now is likely to be looked back upon as a big “Doh!” In the future.
THIS.

When I was a teenager, I would spend my lunch money on records. Throughout my life, that attitude carried - I often think of spending money as - if I can save a bit on this, or cut back on the other, I have more money to buy records.

I lived week to week early on in my career - for too long, actually. It sucks. It's stressful. It creates anxiety every week. It brings instability.

Fortunately, when I got married, bought a house, and later had kids, that instability was too much to carry. I had to make sacrifices and stretch my money to build up a financial safety buffer that let me sleep at night. And fortunately, when I hit rough spots, having that back up not only carried me through, it took money and paying the bills out of the list of worries.

Getting out of that cycle brought freedom. Instead of buying things when I had money or an urgent need, I became able to leverage my bank buffer to make better purchase decisions, which saved money. I could stock up on things on sale. I could take advantage of multiple item discounts. I became proactive and in control, rather than reactive and not in control.

Although I really haven't been to a restaurant in a year now due to Covid, and at times I am forced to do takeout, I am concious of the decisions I make - and the value of money. There are intangibles to dining out sometimes - for my relationship, for my kids, or an opportunity to get together with a friend. But - big but - I am acutely aware that the experience and intangible benefits are of high value, at the end of the day there is no tangible asset I have gained, so I have to balance that.

I've gone through stretches where I have felt risk in compromising my financial buffer, and have deliberately brought myself to 'sustain' mode - necessities only - and built up a list of vinyl and other non-essentials to hang on to for better days. To be honest, relieved of the pressure to acquire and spend, those have been some of the best periods of my life.

The fact is - to be happy and successful in life, you don't HAVE to have anything much at all. Everything else is disrection and pleasure, both best consumed in small doses, or they become a runaway train that will lead to a crash.

now available as "place backorder" so i'm guessing this one will be back soon!

Kind Of Blue is showing that same status "place backorder"

now available as "place backorder" so i'm guessing this one will be back soon!
Oh yes please!!!!

Yeah, spinning the OG Darkside LP I purchased direct from the Matador for $20 and just a @Mather suggested it sounds pretty fucking great. I doubt the VMP reissue could add much of anything to this. My copy was is paper sleeves but wasn’t completely silent all the way through.
Yep the only reason I'm getting it is the noise on mine caused by the paper sleeves

You really should put some money away for a rainy day. Maybe start by setting up an automatic withdrawal to a savings account of say10-15% every pay, then it won’t be missed and your savings will grow. I know when you are young the future doesn’t seem so important but it comes quicker than you think. People in general waste so much money on stuff that does nothing for them, if you cooked even 1/2 your meals that would be a big saving, just stuff like stocking up on essentials when on special, buying cheapest toilet paper might save you $5 a week, but that’s $260 a year or $2600 every 10 years and that’s 1 item. Only buying coffee out 2 times a week might save $15 a week or $750 a year!! Endless possibilities to save. Anyway if you want to chat or some more info DM me and I can give you some things to check out.
Thank you for that info, it was a great read! I’m so happy for you and your fiancé and hard work has definitely paid off for you guys!

I am definitely well off then; I assumed you always eat out too; but if I’m spending around $200-$250 on food per week then I guess my spending habits are just very different! I’m actually really lucky in regards to money (even though I don’t save/put money away)!

I don’t think I can do $50/month - because that’s only 1 VMP ROTM per month for me! I’m lucky I get a free ROTM per month + free membership! I’m going to try and aim to do $100/month because RSD is coming up and I want that Slum Village Fantastic Vol II and Donny Hathaway Live! I want to still do 2-3 VMP ROTM’s per month + 1 VMP exclusive per month! So far, i have to do minimum $100/month.

I feel really good now because I know that most people have to make sacrifices and you are sacrificing on splurging on food whereas I’m not. However, I’m not putting any money away in my savings account whereas you would be! So it really is spending habits in the end! Like you’ll probably retire younger and be comfortable whereas I won’t, so it’s interesting!

I’m going to sell some of my records and be a bit more smart with my money, but it’ll take time for me to know how to exactly work with my income as I’m a bit all over the place! I still want to live week to week, but have more of a vision of my budgeting!

Thanks again for your response! As I said, I’m really happy for you and good on you!

Last edited:
Back