Definitive Audiophile pressings

I grabbed Jazz Samba (Vital Vinyl) in the SOV St. Patrick's sale. Unfortunately it's nearly impossible to clean this fucker. Paper bits everywhere and sooooo much static from the paper inner sleeve that the bits are attracted back to it. It sounds pretty good like the other Vital Vinyl reissues I have, but damn.

I've never done wet cleaning, but I may need to consider. Can anyone recommend: should I buy some cleaning fluid, or just stick to distilled water?

Did everyone’s Louis Meets Oscar Peterson records have that horrible vocal distortion? I saw Michael Fremer mentioned it as a recording issue, but just curious if that’s the case with everyone here

I want a vintage airstream for 10k!
I was tempted last summer to buy a Boler and make it into my home office
beverly-beach.jpg

Did everyone’s Louis Meets Oscar Peterson records have that horrible vocal distortion? I saw Michael Fremer mentioned it as a recording issue, but just curious if that’s the case with everyone here
I don’t remember that but can spin again later with more focus on the vocals - was there a specific track or did it happen throughout the album?

I don’t remember that but can spin again later with more focus on the vocals - was there a specific track or did it happen throughout the album?
It becomes VERY prominent on the last three tracks of Side A, after that it’s not too noticeable!

I’ve seen it mentioned a ton and it does seem to be in the recording. It’s not a pressing issue.

I’ve seen it mentioned a ton and it does seem to be in the recording. It’s not a pressing issue.
It is noticable on mine. I don't regret getting the record, but it isn't a record that you just fall into and lose yourself in the sound. When it's present, it has a slight grating at the top end. It is what I would imagine -- note: zero engineering or sound experience here -- it sounds like when the levels are too high but not clipping. (I'll go read the Fremer and see if he explains it and if anyone who actually knows what they are talking about wants to fill in a right answer, color me curious)

Edit:. Stereophile short review with comments on the sound Revinylization #11: James Booker, Louis Armstrong, Oscar Peterson, Joan Armatrading

Last edited:
Does anyone own Hiatus Kaiyote, Choose your Weapon on vinyl that would care to comment if the sound is a jump up from hi-res the streaming? (Or generally, is it a great sounding record?)

There is a lot going on in that record, but I don't know anything on how it was recorded and if there is a gain to be had on the vinyl. (Outside of all the normal joy...). Thx.

7 records a month is still 84 a year. That’s not a small amount. Be thankful! You do live in an insanely expensive country and that’s coming from someone else living in an insanely expensive country. At 24/25 i could never have afforded that much vinyl, it’s only now that I’m nearly 40 that I can go crazy!
That’s very true! I’m going to start being more thankful for what I have! And yes, the fact that Australia is quite an expensive country means I’m very lucky to still be able to afford buying that much vinyl! 🙏

Back