Definitive Audiophile pressings

Yeahhhhh, that's the one I really want.
That’s the Moanin’ pressing I really want as well! I’ll be buying the Classics Series pressing because I’m sure it’ll sound great, but I’d love to also purchase the Analogue Productions 2LP 45RPM pressing too as I can’t imagine how stunning Moanin’ would sound with that pressing! 💎

@Ghost - This is a bit of a random question, but how do you still afford to buy audiophile pressings regularly? You have a fiancé and aren’t you renting in L.A. too?!? Also, I think you’re younger than me so it’s pretty amazing you are doing all of that and can still afford audiophile vinyl regularly! 👏

Like...don’t you also put money away in your savings every week because you want to buy a house? If so, you must have a very well paid job to be able to afford to do all of that!

I have a pretty decently paid job in Australia and I can’t really afford vinyl much anymore, yet alone to be purchasing audiophile pressings! I only purchase around 5 VMP pressings every month plus only 1-2 non-VMP pressing every month (blue note usually or something random like a Bob Marley Half-Speed pressing or Rhino Black series pressing)!

Crazy that I can’t really afford vinyl much anymore! I live week to week with no savings and I’ve even done a bit of overtime at work last few weeks! Awesome that you can still afford vinyl, rent in LA, have a partner, and potentially put money away! I want to know how you do it!? 👀🙇‍♂️

@Ghost - This is a bit of a random question, but how do you still afford to buy audiophile pressings regularly? You have a fiancé and aren’t you renting in L.A. too?!? Also, I think you’re younger than me so it’s pretty amazing you are doing all of that and can still afford audiophile vinyl regularly! 👏

Like...don’t you also put money away in your savings every week because you want to buy a house? If so, you must have a very well paid job to be able to afford to do all of that!

I have a pretty decently paid job in Australia and I can’t really afford vinyl much anymore, yet alone to be purchasing audiophile pressings! I only purchase around 5 VMP pressings every month plus only 1-2 non-VMP pressing every month (blue note usually or something random like a Bob Marley Half-Speed pressing or Rhino Black series pressing)!

Crazy that I can’t really afford vinyl much anymore! I live week to week with no savings and I’ve even done a bit of overtime at work last few weeks! Awesome that you can still afford vinyl, rent in LA, have a partner, and potentially put money away! I want to know how you do it!? 👀🙇‍♂️

You. You of all people are asking someone how they afford their vinyl hobby?

You. You of all people are asking someone how they afford their vinyl hobby?
Hahaha what do you mean me!? It’s interesting and I do want to know how he does it!

Even you yourself JonnyH buy audiophile pressings regularly but I know you have a very well paid job and it’s likely you already have your house paid off or something like that!

I think I’ve just realised how expensive of a hobby vinyl collecting, in particular when you buy audiophile pressings, can be! I forgot a lot of people on this forum are very wealthy because I was buying so much vinyl before and I am a factory worker /labourer. I’m still a garbage man and in my head I thought most people on here would have jobs like me...but nope! I realise most people on here are white collar workers and would be receiving better pay rates/salaries in comparison to me!

But then again I do eat out most nights and spend a lot on food, and I buy fancy toilet paper and tissues because me and my housemate like cool companies/vibes! 😂🤷‍♂️

Hahaha what do you mean me!? It’s interesting and I do want to know how he does it!

Even you yourself JonnyH buy audiophile pressings regularly but I know you have a very well paid job and it’s likely you already have your house paid off or something like that!

I think I’ve just realised how expensive of a hobby vinyl collecting, in particular when you buy audiophile pressings, can be! I forgot a lot of people on this forum are very wealthy because I was buying so much vinyl before and I am a factory worker /labourer. I’m still a garbage man and in my head I thought most people on here would have jobs like me...but nope! I realise most people on here are white collar workers and would be receiving better pay rates/salaries in comparison to me!

But then again I do eat out most nights and spend a lot on food, and I buy fancy toilet paper and tissues because me and my housemate like cool companies/vibes! 😂🤷‍♂️

I'm an American, I dont have a house that's paid off!

When I buy an audiophile pressing or two in a month that means I'm not buying the 5-7 records a month that you mention you are buying. I do have a shit ton of records, but im trying to focus more on quality than quantity these days.

You historically spend way more than me per month on vinyl. I just had a big head start on you.

Yes, considering CS specifically assured me it was the full set when I asked about it to confirm prior to shipping.
Acoustic Sounds sent my order today and the tracking number they provided said it was already delivered to Salina, Kansas. So they may have shipped my order back to themselves, in Salina, Kansas? Ha ha.

Happy to shed some light. I work in tech as a Product Designer/Product Manager and my fiancé works in influencer marketing as a Talent Manager, I’m 26 and she’s 25. She’s been working in her field since she’s been around 20, and I’ve been working in my field (in a round about way) since I was 19 years old. We are incredibly fortunate and privileged to be able to do very well for our age and tech and talent management happen to pay very well! We actively put away in savings and working now to build some semblance of an investment portfolio cause deez are things that ya need to do if you wanna retire and shit 🤷🏽. I wouldn’t say I go crazy on vinyl tbh, I have a $100 vinyl budget that definitely occasionally flexes past that.

I think something that’s helped me a lot is just really understanding delayed gratification as a concept. I lived off very little for a long time and made sure that I made sacrifices in other areas of my life so that I could invest in the things that truly bring me lasting joy. Even still making a considerable amount we still meal prep dinner and lunch and live off of lots of stews, soups, and what my friends refer to as “mushy foods” 😂 because they’re tasty and you can make a lot of it for not a whole lot. We’re very conscious of how seemingly innocent spending habits like eating out or grabbing coffee can creep up into a huge yearly expense and pull from your pocket! If I were you I’d sink your vinyl budget down to like $50/m (that was mine when I was making around $40,000/yr) and one could argue that’s too much lmao and start putting money away for a rainy day fund. Our first step was making sure we had a $500 emergency fund, once you get there the saving bug gets you and you’ll start saving and planning your big purchases out years in advance. Example, I’ve had to fight the fomo of grabbing Wharfdale Lintons these past few months cause even though I have the money I know I would put myself in a much better position by setting a goal and saving for it over the next year or so. Vinyl is dope but financial stability is way cooler. If I were you I would download an app like Digit to start mindlessly saving! My DMs are always for a longer conversation!

For context: we probably eat out 1-2 times a month for under $75

Happy to shed some light. I work in tech as a Product Designer/Product Manager and my fiancé works in influencer marketing as a Talent Manager, I’m 26 and she’s 25. She’s been working in her field since she’s been around 20, and I’ve been working in my field (in a round about way) since I was 19 years old. We are incredibly fortunate and privileged to be able to do very well for our age and tech and talent management happen to pay very well! We actively put away in savings and working now to build some semblance of an investment portfolio cause deez are things that ya need to do if you wanna retire and shit 🤷🏽. I wouldn’t say I go crazy on vinyl tbh, I have a $100 vinyl budget that definitely occasionally flexes past that.

I think something that’s helped me a lot is just really understanding delayed gratification as a concept. I lived off very little for a long time and made sure that I made sacrifices in other areas of my life so that I could invest in the things that truly bring me lasting joy. Even still making a considerable amount we still meal prep dinner and lunch and live off of lots of stews, soups, and what my friends refer to as “mushy foods” 😂 because they’re tasty and you can make a lot of it for not a whole lot. We’re very conscious of how seemingly innocent spending habits like eating out or grabbing coffee can creep up into a huge yearly expense and pull from your pocket! If I were you I’d sink your vinyl budget down to like $50/m (that was mine when I was making around $40,000/yr) and one could argue that’s too much lmao and start putting money away for a rainy day fund. Our first step was making sure we had a $500 emergency fund, once you get there the saving bug gets you and you’ll start saving and planning your big purchases out years in advance. Example, I’ve had to fight the fomo of grabbing Wharfdale Lintons these past few months cause even though I have the money I know I would put myself in a much better position by setting a goal and saving for it over the next year or so. Vinyl is dope but financial stability is way cooler. If I were you I would download an app like Digit to start mindlessly saving! My DMs are always for a longer conversation!

Oh that's the other thing @NathanRicaud I'm allergic to everything, so I literally eat out for zero meals a month.

Thank you for that info, it was a great read! I’m so happy for you and your fiancé and hard work has definitely paid off for you guys!

I am definitely well off then; I assumed you always eat out too; but if I’m spending around $200-$250 on food per week then I guess my spending habits are just very different! I’m actually really lucky in regards to money (even though I don’t save/put money away)!

I don’t think I can do $50/month - because that’s only 1 VMP ROTM per month for me! I’m lucky I get a free ROTM per month + free membership! I’m going to try and aim to do $100/month because RSD is coming up and I want that Slum Village Fantastic Vol II and Donny Hathaway Live! I want to still do 2-3 VMP ROTM’s per month + 1 VMP exclusive per month! So far, i have to do minimum $100/month.

I feel really good now because I know that most people have to make sacrifices and you are sacrificing on splurging on food whereas I’m not. However, I’m not putting any money away in my savings account whereas you would be! So it really is spending habits in the end! Like you’ll probably retire younger and be comfortable whereas I won’t, so it’s interesting!

I’m going to sell some of my records and be a bit more smart with my money, but it’ll take time for me to know how to exactly work with my income as I’m a bit all over the place! I still want to live week to week, but have more of a vision of my budgeting!

Thanks again for your response! As I said, I’m really happy for you and good on you!

Oh that's the other thing @NathanRicaud I'm allergic to everything, so I literally eat out for zero meals a month.
Omg, whaaaat!? No way!!! That’s crazy! Well, if you ever come to Melbourne, I’ll still be taking you out to some café’s and restaurants because there’s still a lot of places that cater to allergies! 😊😋

I’m going to also try and focus on quality than quantity, which I have been but not completely! It’s hard but I am definitely only purchasing getting only audiophile pressings + VMP exclusives I really want!

So I guess our vinyl spending habits nowadays are the same! I guess everyone on here is just probably more responsible with their money compared to me; my bad for assuming most people on this forum earn more than me (because who actually knows)!

Still shocked you hardly eat out JonnyH and are allergic to so much ingredients! 😲

7 records a month is still 84 a year. That’s not a small amount. Be thankful! You do live in an insanely expensive country and that’s coming from someone else living in an insanely expensive country. At 24/25 i could never have afforded that much vinyl, it’s only now that I’m nearly 40 that I can go crazy!

7 records a month is still 84 a year. That’s not a small amount. Be thankful! You do live in an insanely expensive country and that’s coming from someone else living in an insanely expensive country. At 24/25 i could never have afforded that much vinyl, it’s only now that I’m nearly 40 that I can go crazy!
But...we also have our 401k...so we got that going for us:p

Back