Definitive Audiophile pressings

Either im blind or just not seeing it.....

I cant see scan lines, the only thing is that when at an angle you can see the texture of the card stock I guess? But that's a rediculous level to complain at if that is whats being referred to.
It reads like a Hoffman review hah. That's why I'm glad you can give us some feedback instead of getting the Hoffman experience.

Either im blind or just not seeing it.....

I cant see scan lines, the only thing is that when at an angle you can see the texture of the card stock I guess? But that's a rediculous level to complain at if that is whats being referred to.
Looks like some darker horizontal print lines in your photo on his shirt but it might just be the photo.

I have listened to once side and I'm blown away.

This is my first one-step album so I can't compare it to others but the sound is phenomenal, every instrument is incredibly crisp. I like to do this thing with jazz records where I focus in on certain instruments, and its so so easy to do so hear as the separation is fantastic. I've never heard brushwork so apparent as I have on this. I purposely played the title track first (as its the one I was most excited to hear) and when Donald Byrd comes in I swear I was grinning from ear to ear, it damn near blew the top of my head off.

Really happy with it and I feel like this will take me down a pricey but exciting rabbit hole.

Looks like some darker horizontal print lines in your photo on his shirt but it might just be the photo.
I pulled up a high res image online and now its there to compare I think this must be it. I just assumed it was part of the texture of the shirt. Honestly though if this 'issue' is too much for someone to handle then they don't deserve the record :ROFLMAO:

I have listened to once side and I'm blown away.

This is my first one-step album so I can't compare it to others but the sound is phenomenal, every instrument is incredibly crisp. I like to do this thing with jazz records where I focus in on certain instruments, and its so so easy to do so hear as the separation is fantastic. I've never heard brushwork so apparent as I have on this. I purposely played the title track first (as its the one I was most excited to hear) and when Donald Byrd comes in I swear I was grinning from ear to ear, it damn near blew the top of my head off.

Really happy with it and I feel like this will take me down a pricey but exciting rabbit hole.
awesome! the one steps are very nice sound-wise. same thing happened to me after I bought the Dylan One Step...bought a bunch more. I'd recommend the Mingus if you can still find it at a decent price.

awesome! the one steps are very nice sound-wise. same thing happened to me after I bought the Dylan One Step...bought a bunch more. I'd recommend the Mingus if you can still find it at a decent price.
I would certainly be interested in a copy of Monks Dream, but looks to have been OOS for a while now. I have a clean first mono pressing of Mingus Ah Um which I love, so no need for another of that. Scott Nangle seems to have quite a bit of stock but their prices seem really inflated.

I would certainly be interested in a copy of Monks Dream, but looks to have been OOS for a while now. I have a clean first mono pressing of Mingus Ah Um which I love, so no need for another of that. Scott Nangle seems to have quite a bit of stock but their prices seem really inflated.
I have heard that the Impex of Monk's Dream compares well.

Cover art is dire! Crappy scan with scan lines showing, no contrast and no black. Not gloss but satin.
No where near AP or MMJ quality but same card stock. After the raves over the Sinatra Craft very disappointed, they even ruined it further with their catalog number under ‘Prestige’.

that's part of the only review on hoffman so far. hah

WHERE IS MY EYE ROLL REACTION!

Nangles got to Nangle. Still in twilight zone hostage negotiations over my MoFi and AP 😂

The Rhino pressings of Ladies of the Canyon and Court and Spark are in stock at Deep Discount, with 15% off using MARDIGRAS code.
So I purchased these two from Deep Discount since there was a bit of a break on the prices. Just listened to an OG white-label promo I have of Court and Spark and all I can say is if the Rhino reissue can improve upon the terrific sound of the OG, that'll be money well spent! It's interesting to me that Bernie Grundman was the mastering engineer originally, and apparently did the mastering for the Rhino reissue. I wonder what he sets out to accomplish when remastering his own mastering, unless it's a matter of capitalizing on technological improvements.

So I purchased these two from Deep Discount since there was a bit of a break in the price. Just listened to an OG white-label promo I have of Court and Spark and all I can say is that if the Rhino reissue can improve upon the terrific sound of the OG, that'll be money well spent! It's interesting to me that Bernie Grundman was the mastering engineer originally, and apparently did the mastering for the Rhino reissue. I wonder what he sets out to accomplish when remastering his own mastering, unless it's a matter of capitalizing on technological improvements.

I think with tapes of that age its likely to be exactly that, capitalising on newer tech.

The Impex Monk's Dream sounds so freakin' great. Definitely a bargain. They say the One-Step is a significant improvement but I'd be shocked if it is THAT much better.... then again I don't have a super $$$ high end system compared to a lot of the folks over on SHF.

I don't, but I do have the Classic 200g mono. Which is really good. But if you are to have one copy of Axis, it must be the stereo. It was how Hendrix intended it to sound.
I've got the mono and the stereo. The mono is a great record to own -- great presentation, really strong sense of attack. The stereo is still amazingly cost effective and also very very worth it -- and yes, probably the way that Jimi was trying to blow your mind :)

I've got the Impex and it is a beautiful sounding record. I don't have a comparison so I've been hesitant to comment -- but it would be very hard for me to justify buying a "better" copy. (Caveat: it isn't my favorite Monk album, but the fact that you might be able to get the SC Monk in Tokyo and the Impex for less than the total...)

The Rhino pressings of Ladies of the Canyon and Court and Spark are in stock at Deep Discount, with 15% off using MARDIGRAS code.
Damn it I hate this thread. I also have Hissing of Summer Lawns, Hejira, and the “blue” Blue. The only others of hers I was looking for are Ladies of the Canyon and Cout and Spark. Until now, that is.

I've got the mono and the stereo. The mono is a great record to own -- great presentation, really strong sense of attack. The stereo is still amazingly cost effective and also very very worth it -- and yes, probably the way that Jimi was trying to blow your mind :)

I've got the Impex and it is a beautiful sounding record. I don't have a comparison so I've been hesitant to comment -- but it would be very hard for me to justify buying a "better" copy. (Caveat: it isn't my favorite Monk album, but the fact that you might be able to get the SC Monk in Tokyo and the Impex for less than the total...)
Ditto, I have it as well, and while I know the One-Steps are amazing, I'm more than happy with this pressing.........money better spent on vinyl I don't have ;)

Looking for some help.

Ive recently been given a small collection of records and in there was a MOFI copy of Miles Davis "In A Silent Way".

Im not an audiophile by any means (and already own a copy of the Music on Vinyl pressing of this record which is good enough for me) so im looking to sell it but have no idea on price? Its near mint, only been played once he told me. Any assistance greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Looking for some help.

Ive recently been given a small collection of records and in there was a MOFI copy of Miles Davis "In A Silent Way".

Im not an audiophile by any means (and already own a copy of the Music on Vinyl pressing of this record which is good enough for me) so im looking to sell it but have no idea on price? Its near mint, only been played once he told me. Any assistance greatly appreciated!

Thanks
So looking at Discogs will give you an idea of what the market is trending. But take note that there is a low end, median, and high end. Unless it is sealed or has some other special property, records rarely sell at the high end.

As to the MoFi In A Silent Way, I know many on here (including me) would love to buy it at a reasonable price. It's a matter of do you want to squeeze every last dollar/pound out of it or see it go to a good home where it will be enjoyed and cherished. No one here will judge you either way.

Back