Definitive Audiophile pressings

Looking for some help.

Ive recently been given a small collection of records and in there was a MOFI copy of Miles Davis "In A Silent Way".

Im not an audiophile by any means (and already own a copy of the Music on Vinyl pressing of this record which is good enough for me) so im looking to sell it but have no idea on price? Its near mint, only been played once he told me. Any assistance greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Great find, it's certainly one that I would be interested in if you are looking to sell here?

As @wmeugene said, Discogs is perhaps your best bet to gauge a value.

Mine arrived this lunch time. I wouldn't normally worry about this, but given the price of the record, I might have to e-mail them about the dinged corner, but print & picture quality seems great.

Interesting how everywhere it says published 2019, so it has been in the works for a while.

View attachment 88679
That's a great point I forgot to raise yesterday. I bet this is an indication that they already have the next sets ready to go/press!

As an FYI, I would get your email in quick. Someone messaged me on Instagram to say that they had an email to say they pressed the EXACT number needed with no replacements for damages/warps etc. Not sure how accurate this is but pretty annoying if its the case.

Mine arrived this lunch time. I wouldn't normally worry about this, but given the price of the record, I might have to e-mail them about the dinged corner, but print & picture quality seems great.

Interesting how everywhere it says published 2019, so it has been in the works for a while.

View attachment 88679
Yes this has been in the works for a long time. Someone on Reddit posted then deleted a picture of the test pressing and it had a May 2019 date on it. These take 8+ months to press plus the boxes take time to make. AS says their UHQR boxes have to be made by hand and I don’t doubt that these do too.

I’m sure that this one in particular was done very early as the flagship one so they could ship it within a month or so of it going up for sale.

That's a great point I forgot to raise yesterday. I bet this is an indication that they already have the next sets ready to go/press!

As an FYI, I would get your email in quick. Someone messaged me on Instagram to say that they had an email to say they pressed the EXACT number needed with no replacements for damages/warps etc. Not sure how accurate this is but pretty annoying if its the case.

I've emailed them. I doubt that will be the case, but they might have dinged quite a few in the warehouse & run out of spares very quickly. I'm sure they have saved a few copies of the vinyl back for breakages & warps. Although you would expect good/enhanced quality control at the pressing plant for this run of vinyl, with it being the first in the series.

edit - I spoke to soon. Amazing quick CS response though

'Unfortunately we completely sold out of this release so we don't have any spare sleeves, I'm really sorry.'

He has offered a partial refund, not sure how much yet. I would prefer a replacement sleeve, but I'm definitely not sending it back for a corner ding

Last edited:
I've emailed them. I doubt that will be the case, but they might have dinged quite a few in the warehouse & run out of spares very quickly. I'm sure they have saved a few copies of the vinyl back for breakages & warps. Although you would expect good/enhanced quality control at the pressing plant for this run of vinyl, with it being the first in the series.
Yeah I thought it was strange as well, but at the very least its an indication that they dont have too many replacements.

Have you had chance to listen yet? What do you think?

Yeah I thought it was strange as well, but at the very least its an indication that they dont have too many replacements.

Have you had chance to listen yet? What do you think?

I have listened to the first few bars only. Had to make some lunch and get on with some work. But first impressions, stunning! I'm really looking forward to give it a proper spin tonight.

edit - I spoke to soon. Amazing quick CS response though

'Unfortunately we completely sold out of this release so we don't have any spare sleeves, I'm really sorry.'

He has offered a partial refund, not sure how much yet. I would prefer a replacement sleeve, but I'm definitely not sending it back for a corner ding
Damn, the dude on Instagram was right then. That's just crazy that they didn't hold ANY back for replacements. Surely that should be standard practise?

Damn, the dude on Instagram was right then. That's just crazy that they didn't hold ANY back for replacements. Surely that should be standard practise?

You would think so.

It's very strange, not great customer experience, but from a business point of view it might be simpler to manage.

View attachment 88679

I would definitely try for damage replacement.

How heavy was the packaging. Did it have crush space around sides/corners? In short, Was it poorly packaged or just take a freak drop? Mine arrives Monday. Fingers crossed.

I would definitely try for damage replacement.

How heavy was the packaging. Did it have crush space around sides/corners? In short, Was it poorly packaged or just take a freak drop? Mine arrives Monday. Fingers crossed.
Cant talk for @Andy but mine was in a decent box which crumble sides.

I would imagine that the issue with the bent corner was actually done before shipping. The jacked was shipped inside the linen-bound slipcase which was then sealed with cellophane.

Cant talk for @Andy but mine was in a decent box which crumble sides.

I would imagine that the issue with the bent corner was actually done before shipping. The jacked was shipped inside the linen-bound slipcase which was then sealed with cellophane.

I agree, I think it's a warehouse issue, I would be surprised if others don't have the same issue.

There are no replacements and I want to keep the record, so have accepted a 20% discount.

Yeah, if fill out a listing on Discogs and put in the correct condition of the vinyl and jacket, it will give you a suggested sale price as well.

Yeah, if fill out a listing on Discogs and put in the correct condition of the vinyl and jacket, it will give you a suggested sale price as well.
I find that this never really works well, especially in the past year or so. Every album I have listed has suggested prices at almost double the lowest available copy in same condition. Not really sure how they calculate it.

Looking for some help.

Ive recently been given a small collection of records and in there was a MOFI copy of Miles Davis "In A Silent Way".

Im not an audiophile by any means (and already own a copy of the Music on Vinyl pressing of this record which is good enough for me) so im looking to sell it but have no idea on price? Its near mint, only been played once he told me. Any assistance greatly appreciated!

Thanks
My guess is you could get $150 for it if its in the condition you say. The median price on discogs is $100 but the last 8 copies listed at VG+ or better all sold for $150+.

My guess is you could get $150 for it if its in the condition you say. The median price on discogs is $100 but the last 8 copies listed at VG+ or better all sold for $150+.
Sheesh. Some of those Miles mofis have gotten crazy in prices. I really wish they would keep them in print. The MoFi Silent is a fantastic sounding record. Not sure if it’s 5x better than an original good though.

Sheesh. Some of those Miles mofis have gotten crazy in prices. I really wish they would keep them in print. The MoFi Silent is a fantastic sounding record. Not sure if it’s 5x better than an original good though.
I think I own 8 of the Miles MoFis now and all have jumped up in price. Sketches of Spain is the crazy one to me. I got it from Amazon for $20. They couldn't get rid of them. Now that they are OOP, cheapest on discogs is $200.

I think I own 8 of the Miles MoFis now and all have jumped up in price. Sketches of Spain is the crazy one to me. I got it from Amazon for $20. They couldn't get rid of them. Now that they are OOP, cheapest on discogs is $200.
Yep I picked that one up when it was super cheap too. I know it took forever to move On The Corner as well.

Can't be sure from your photo--is the box dinged also, or just the album jacket?

View attachment 88679
If they end up sending you a replacement, I would love to buy this dinged copy from you. Seems unlikely, but wanted to float it out there

Back