Definitive Audiophile pressings

Yeah I have them, the blue blue and the rhinos of The Intense Hissing of Summer Lawns and Hejira too. I’d like the rest to get properly reissued too though! There’s so much more good stuff there!
I'm with you! Just wanted to post about availability since after reading your post I was surprised to find those Rhinos. Thanks for mentioning them.

I'm with you! Just wanted to post about availability since after reading your post I was surprised to find those Rhinos. Thanks for mentioning them.

No worries! There are 5 rhinos and the craft pressing of Shine that can be found. Ladies of the Canyon is from 2009/2010 and is beginning to get scarce over here though.

I’d buy Blue and Court and Spark on one step no questions asked and to be honest huge chunks of her career would be worth normal MoFi prices to me too. Whenever I see some of their more uninspired choices I just think of this from that era and style, never mind my criticisms of them doing nothing new, and it’s infuriating!

I kinda hope that MoFi (or KG/Rhino or someone) does T Rex's The Slider at some point. No idea what the state of the original tapes are but that album rules. On quick glance, I don't see any newer great reissues of it
Its been on my list for a while and I keep putting it off just in case, lol

Its been on my list for a while and I keep putting it off just in case, lol
I have a 1972 US Pitman Press that sounds alright but it's used and not in the best shape, plus I know the UK's usually sound better than original US pressings...my guy KG could do wonders with it I'm sure. Just seems weird that Rhino hasn't done a repress of it since they have done tons of other T Rex albums it seems. Maybe we'll get a 50th anniversary of it next year.

I have a 1972 US Pitman Press that sounds alright but it's used and not in the best shape, plus I know the UK's usually sound better than original US pressings...my guy KG could do wonders with it I'm sure. Just seems weird that Rhino hasn't done a repress of it since they have done tons of other T Rex albums it seems. Maybe we'll get a 50th anniversary of it next year.
If I’m not mistaken, I think US Reprise issues are the way to go on The Slider which is kind of surprising. Or at least I think I read that a long while ago on SH forums. I could definitely be wrong though. At any rate, the US Reprise one I have is an original pressing too and it sounds fine. I’ve never felt a need to upgrade, but would be all over a MoFi 45 rpm issue.

If I’m not mistaken, I think US Reprise issues are the way to go on The Slider which is kind of surprising. Or at least I think I read that a long while ago on SH forums. I could definitely be wrong though. At any rate, the US Reprise one I have is an original pressing too and it sounds fine. I’ve never felt a need to upgrade, but would be all over a MoFi 45 rpm issue.
I ended up convincing myself to get a UK one a few years ago after researching there, but who knows I don't remember and may have missed reviews of the US. Can vouch for the UK as it sounds really great to me.

Looks like I got it with Tanx for £33 shipped. Hard to find those UKs in the US I believe. I think the only copy I could find a decent deal on stateside unfortunately had a skip so I had to get a refund.

I kinda hope that MoFi (or KG/Rhino or someone) does T Rex's The Slider at some point. No idea what the state of the original tapes are but that album rules. On quick glance, I don't see any newer great reissues of it

Yes please! I'm pretty sure it's just Demon that put this out recently.

I ended up convincing myself to get a UK one a few years ago after researching there, but who knows I don't remember and may have missed reviews of the US. Can vouch for the UK as it sounds really great to me.

Looks like I got it with Tanx for £33 shipped. Hard to find those UKs in the US I believe. I think the only copy I could find a decent deal on stateside unfortunately had a skip so I had to get a refund.
I just bought an Odeon Japanese issue off of Discogs haha! I’m a sucker. I never bought a UK one since they rarely pop up in the US, like you said. I’ll probably end up getting a UK copy some day though. Really hard to find early presses of The Slider and EW in anything better than VG condition nowadays. I did recently get a UK original copy of Dandy which sounds really great. Super underrated album too.

I just bought an Odeon Japanese issue off of Discogs haha! I’m a sucker. I never bought a UK one since they rarely pop up in the US, like you said. I’ll probably end up getting a UK copy some day though. Really hard to find early presses of The Slider and EW in anything better than VG condition nowadays. I did recently get a UK original copy of Dandy which sounds really great. Super underrated album too.
I just downloaded the Japanese SMS CD rip for now!

If there are any Tom Petty fans looking for a great pressing of Damn the Torpedoes pick up this 2017 pressing. Mastered at Grundman by Bellman and pressed at QRP, picked it up off Cogs for $20. Sounds just amazing :)

Was eyeing this pressing, but the price was a little daunting, even though it had the pressing pedigree and a bonus disk, getting the same quality for a 1/4 of the price is a wonderful thing.

If there are any Tom Petty fans looking for a great pressing of Damn the Torpedoes pick up this 2017 pressing. Mastered at Grundman by Bellman and pressed at QRP, picked it up off Cogs for $20. Sounds just amazing :)

Was eyeing this pressing, but the price was a little daunting, even though it had the pressing pedigree and a bonus disk, getting the same quality for a 1/4 of the price is a wonderful thing.
Tom Petty And The Heartbreakers – Damn The Torpedoes (2019, Red Translucent, Vinyl)

This is also the same pressing

Apparently the plates from that second one you've listed (2010 ORG) were used for the version of Damn the Torpedoes that comes with the Complete Studio Albums Volume 1 box set, minus the "extras."

Apparently the plates from that second one you've listed (2010 ORG) were used for the version of Damn the Torpedoes that comes with the Complete Studio Albums Volume 1 box set, minus the "extras."
Looking at the box set, strange that the records were pressed at different places--some at Pallas, some at QRP. But it says the box set was mastered at Record Industry while the other says done by CB/BG

Looking at the box set, strange that the records were pressed at different places--some at Pallas, some at QRP. But it says the box set was mastered at Record Industry while the other says done by CB/BG
It looks to me like the first three albums had already been remastered, so they used those plates for the box set, and they remastered the other albums in the set for the box. Both CB and BG are listed on Discogs for the box. But yeah, it's confusing for sure.

Back