Definitive Audiophile pressings

Evidently it’s happening - Mike from the In Groove mentioned he had some on the way in his weekly new release video this week. Haven’t seen it listed anywhere yet.
That Mike is a good man. Might go ahead and check out with it through the MD site to make sure I don't miss out when its available

Evidently it’s happening - Mike from the In Groove mentioned he had some on the way in his weekly new release video this week. Haven’t seen it listed anywhere yet.
I was curious about Mike’s comment. I heard him reference Greatest Hits, but I thought his comment was mumbly and confusing as to whether Greatest Hits is on the way, or he was simply comparing Live to Greatest Hits and saying they’re both very good & hard to come by, and then that Live was back in stock with a few copies.

I hope you’re correct about what he said, as I’ve had an order for Greatest Hits sitting with Music Direct for months.

H
I was curious about Mike’s comment. I heard him reference Greatest Hits, but I thought his comment was mumbly and confusing as to whether Greatest Hits is on the way, or he was simply comparing Live to Greatest Hits and saying they’re both very good & hard to come by, and then that Live was back in stock with a few copies.

I hope you’re correct about what he said, as I’ve had an order for Greatest Hits sitting with Music Direct for months.
Yeah, I took it as both were on the way but he wasn’t super clear about it so maybe you’re right. I’m going to keep checking though just in case!

If it sounds good, that's all that matters.

edit - oh, and of course that it was mastered by @MikeH 's special friend / victim
Because it says KG@CA in the deadwax doesn't mean Gray remastered it, only that he cut the lacquer. The sources of Sundazed vinyl have never really been clear, and Bob Irwin was first to use "from the original master tapes" as a catch-all for any source. Many, if not all, are mastered by Bob Irwin from a digital file then that file is sent to KG for lacquering.

Because it says KG@CA in the deadwax doesn't mean Gray remastered it, only that he cut the lacquer. The sources of Sundazed vinyl have never really been clear, and Bob Irwin was first to use "from the original master tapes" as a catch-all for any source. Many, if not all, are mastered by Bob Irwin from a digital file then that file is sent to KG for lacquering.
Think you've just caused a load on here to hop straight in to the bath with a toaster.

H

Yeah, I took it as both were on the way but he wasn’t super clear about it so maybe you’re right. I’m going to keep checking though just in case!
If ya backorder from MD, you’ll just get charged when it ships and lock in a copy. I know that can become a dangerous game though!

I've one from the 6 zeppelin albums I own. Extra has never been out the packet.

Plus the single/ doubles are so cheap it hardly seemed worth the extra for more than one deluxe. Save your cash and stick it towards live at the BBC if you can track one down as its totally wicked
Welp...found the love at the BBC zeppelin in the Target sale and grabbed one for a little over $100 shipped! Thanks for the recommendation!

Last edited:
Cutting the lacquer is mastering.
From the URP website:

"When people say, "let's cut a record," this is where that expression originated. Once the music has been mastered, the lacquer cutting can begin. This is the first and most delicate step in the record-making process. This stage involves audio engineers using a lathe machine and a very sharp gemstone to carve your music onto a flat, lacquer-coated metal disc. These discs are the original copies of your music. Each record side has its own lacquer.

United will master your lacquers to RIAA standards, but the actual Mixing, EQ-ing, etc., should be done prior to sending your source music to us to press your records. The source you send to United should sound like you want the music to sound on vinyl, sequenced in order with the correct spacing between each song and a longer space between sides."

Cutting the lacquer is mastering.

"remastering" is a marketing term - yes - lacquer cutting is one aspect of the job of mastering, but if we got all technical about it - any release that isn't a repress of the original pressing is "remastered" - as in mastered again...but not in the scope of "REMASTERED" as a marketing term.

The wording on the release is all that matters - if it says cut, mastered, remastered...just use what is on the release.

Right - "from the original master tapes" can be anything from the actual first master tape to nth generation tapes...but hey, they are original.

Jesus, we’re back into this dull technical talk that none of us truly understand.

Can we get back to sharing which records we think sound great again?
Yeah... Don't get me wrong. I enjoy the technicality of it all but it did seem an excessively pedantic response to what was just a bit of a shit joke.

Bloody record collectors and their literal interpretations eh

cross post, but according to the UPC, this is the KG Electric Warrior repress...for anybody who hasn't gotten it yet.

zach-swooning.gif

I do wonder about the KPG Sundazed Dick Dale "Surfers Choice" that I have. It's him in the runouts and it's a super fun record but man is it a harsh listen. Very sharp, I'm guessing that's just due to the master but it's not your usual KPG...
My personal opinion only...KPG is only really KPG when he gets a master tape and masters end to end, the Sundazed he is restricted by Bob Irwin's mastering. So, you are kinda getting half a KPG.

Back