Definitive Audiophile pressings

No it wasn’t you! It’s the Canadian dude who argues from a point on minimal knowledge and at one point on this thread was trying to argue with one of our members who I’m pretty sure is a sound engineer...

I’ll happily try Talk Talk at some point, it’s a name that’s on my long list for a long time but only so much money and SO MUCH music! I just hadn’t remembered ever saying I was going to and I do find the whole such and such ripped off such and such conversation to be pretty reductive, unless it’s hitting the point of copywrite theft. Our creative growth is always informed by our influences and I’m just interested in the endpoint of what I consider to be great music.
I will say that Talk Talk is right up your alley, so when you do get there, I think you will enjoy them greatly

I hate that I only know Talk Talk from the No Doubt cover...I gotta listen to them more.
True story. I knew their later work a lot better (i.e. Spirit of Eden and Laughing Stock) than their first two albums and had forgotten that It's My Life was a Talk Talk cover until it came on when I was listening to their 2nd LP and did a complete double take.

True story. I knew their later work a lot better (i.e. Spirit of Eden and Laughing Stock) than their first two albums and had forgotten that It's My Life was a Talk Talk cover until it came on when I was listening to their 2nd LP and did a complete double take.
What's the best album to check out by them? They have been on my list of bands to check out for awhile but I just never got around to it.

Have you read Phill Browns book, a very good insight into the making of those albums.
God I am waiting for someone to write a good book on Talk Talk and Mark Hollis (though it will never happen). Reading how Spirit of Eden and especially Laughing Stock were recorded, they definitely took several pages out of the Miles/Teo play book.

I used to think SoE was the best , but lately I think Laughing Stock might top it.But you should listen to Colour Of Spring first If you can which is when the change began to happen, then SOE then Laughing Stock to follow flow of how extraordinary it was. Then Mark Hollis’s solo album which is quite minimalist. Nowhere else to go so he stopped . Definitely late night albums and headphones are good too, but if you can crank it on your speakers even better.
Thanks! I will heed this advice. Just downloaded a FLAC of it.

I know someone who worked on Hollis’s solo album, it wasn’t a pleasant experience for him.
God I am waiting for someone to write a good book on Talk Talk and Mark Hollis (though it will never happen). Reading how Spirit of Eden and especially Laughing Stock were recorded, they definitely took several pages out of the Miles/Teo play book.

I know someone who worked on Hollis’s solo album, it wasn’t a pleasant experience for him.
From what I read it wasn’t easy for anyone working on the last 2 TT albums either. Musicians playing literally in the dark, others being recorded and not used in the final album etc.

Yeah, he was an engineer that recorded a lot of stuff when Phill left for a while, he worked with Warne Livesay, Phill comes back and they basically wipe all the tapes that my friend had recorded, this is with Steve Gadd and some of the greatest session musicians in the world, but maybe they didn’t get it and it’s a better album because of that, but it must be relentless and depressing.
From what I read it wasn’t easy for anyone working on the last 2 TT albums either. Musicians playing literally in the dark, others being recorded and not used in the final album etc.

Yeah, he was an engineer that recorded a lot of stuff when Phill left for a while, he worked with Warne Livesay, Phill comes back and they basically wipe all the tapes that my friend had recorded, this is with Steve Gadd and some of the greatest session musicians in the world, but maybe they didn’t get it and it’s a better album because of that, but it must be relentless and depressing.
There's really no emoji for wow that's really interesting, slightly horrifying, thanks for sharing... So I've resorted to these awkward letter things

Back