Definitive Audiophile pressings

Masterpieces by Ellington is a time machine. You are straight back to the early 50's, hearing the era so vividly that you are practically there.
Now that I think of it this was my first AP record purchase last year and started my love affair with the company: it’s one of those records I show to friends who say “does music really sound better on vinyl?” and there’s that moment in Mood Indigo where the horn with the plunger sounds exactly like Louis Armstrong where they lean forward in their seat and are like “wtf is that?”

Have you received Ballads yet ?
I’m hoping they have a 15% off sale Black Friday, or even better 20% off!

Regardless though, I’m getting the Acoustic Sounds reissues from Amazon! Got both the John Coltrane Acoustic Sounds reissues for such a great price on Amazon AU! Ballads for only AUD$29.98 😍😱 and A Love Supreme for only AUD$35.00! Louis Armstrong Meets Oscar Peterson was also only AUD$35.00 for me! Such great value!

I’ll be getting the rest of the Tone Poet pressings I want from the Blue Note website however! On Amazon, they always cost more than AUD$40. Still a great price, but if Blue Note have a 30% storewide sale, is much rather do one big order with them!

I’m might have just bought the MoFi Oh Mercy and AP 1LP 33 Pet sounds mono with the proceeds of some of my VMP classics sales on the cogs!
Enjoy them Joe, especially the Pet Sounds!!! 🔥🔥🔥

That 45RPM MoFi Bob Dylan must also sounds so freaking good! Those 45RPM Bob Dylan releases are amazing! 🏆

So, what’s everyone favourite audiophile pressing that they purchased this year?

Mine would have to be:

The Tone Poet Blue Note reissues of Chet Baker Sings, Grant Green’s Nigeria and Lee Morgan’s The Cooker!

For Analogue Productions, my favourite audiophile pressings I purchased this year were The Doors’ L.A. Woman, Freddie King’s Getting Ready..., Duke Ellington’s Masterpieces by Ellington and Blues in Orbit, Kenny Burrell’s Midnight Blue and the stereo version of The Beach Boys’ Pet Sounds!

For MoFi, it was the One-Step pressings of Bob Dylan’s Blood On The Tracks, Bill Evans’ Portrait in Jazz, Marvin Gaye’s What’s Going On and Charles Mingus’ Ah Um. The Bob Dylan mono version of The Freewheelin’ of Bob Dylan was also immaculate!

From VMP, the Classics ROTM’s of Sonny Rollins, Errol Garner, Otis Redding and Albert King were my favourites and all sounded incredible too!

Some of favourites included getting the 2007 Kevin Gray/Steve Hoffman pressing of Joni Mitchell’s Blue, which sounds incredible, the AAA Rhino reissue pressing of Van Morrison’s Moondance and The Chic Atlantic reissues pressings part of The Chic Organization Boxset!

The Speakers Corner pressings of Charles Mingus The Clown, Bill Withers’ Just As I Am, Earth Wind & Fire’s Spirit, Ann Pebbles’ I Can’t Stand The Rain and Carla Thomas’ The Queen Alone were all outstanding too!

Absolutely loved the Jimi Hendrix family approves pressings of his three studio albums too! All sounded amazing!

I love high quality sounding pressings so much! They really make this hobby the highlight for me! Listening to an audiophile pressing really is a joy for me! ♥️

Shoutout to the Sam Records pressings I got, which all sounded incredible, the VMP pressing for Buena Vista Social Club and Prince Paul’s A Prince Among Thieves and the Abbey Road Half-Mastered pressing Amy Winehouse’s Frank! All of them sounded absolutely outstanding too and had amazing soundstage too! 🔥

Cannot wait to spin the Prince Sign O’ The Times 2020 pressing and the John Coltrane Acoustic Sounds series pressings when they arrive! I’m sure they’ll also be favourites of mine! Looking super forward to spinning the VMP Whitney Houston debut too, which should sound amazing too! 😍

I am so hungry for the Black Friday sale Acoustic Sounds will have next month! Super duper keen to get my hands on some quality pressings from their site! 😇😁

Jimi Hendrix- Blues stayed on my turntable the longest. Its immaculate.
Jimi Hendrix is definitely one of the best artists of all-time in my opinion! Those three studio albums of his and Band of Gypsy’s are all classic albums and really are all 10/10 for me! I’m listening to ‘Blues’ now and am really enjoying it!

Do you have the 2017 EU pressing or the 2010 US pressing? Curious to know as you said your copy sounds great and is obviously an audiophile pressing for you to mention it on this thread!

Jimi Hendrix is definitely one of the best artists of all-time in my opinion! Those three studio albums of his and Band of Gypsy’s are all classic albums and really are all 10/10 for me! I’m listening to ‘Blues’ now and am really enjoying it!

Do you have the 2017 EU pressing or the 2010 US pressing? Curious to know as you said your copy sounds great and is obviously an audiophile pressing for you to mention it on this thread!
Its this Hendrix Family edition:

Jimi Hendrix - Blues

Url: Jimi Hendrix - Blues

Its this Hendrix Family edition:

Jimi Hendrix - Blues

Url: Jimi Hendrix - Blues
Awesome, thanks for that! My local has that Family approved pressing so I will grab it from there after I pick up my flattened records from there! Thank you for that link JonnyH! ♥️😘

Can’t wait to spin this album in 2-4 weeks time! I know I’m going to love it and I’ll be glad to add some more Jimi Hendrix to my collection!

With my vinyl collection, I’ve got both versions of Are You Experienced (both family approved pressings), Axis: Bold as Love, Electric Ladyland and Band of Gypsys. All five of those pressings are the family approved ones (like the Jimi Hendrix Blues pressing you have JonnyH!).

What are other family approved Jimi Hendrix compilations do you recommend?

Is it mainly just Jimi Hendrix studio albums, Band of Gypsys and Blues that’s worth grabbing on vinyl from his discography?

Awesome, thanks for that! My local has that Family approved pressing so I will grab it from there after I pick up my flattened records from there! Thank you for that link JonnyH! ♥️😘

Can’t wait to spin this album in 2-4 weeks time! I know I’m going to love it and I’ll be glad to add some more Jimi Hendrix to my collection!

With my vinyl collection, I’ve got both versions of Are You Experienced (both family approved pressings), Axis: Bold as Love, Electric Ladyland and Band of Gypsys. All five of those pressings are the family approved ones (like the Jimi Hendrix Blues pressing you have JonnyH!).

What are other family approved Jimi Hendrix compilations do you recommend?

Is it mainly just Jimi Hendrix studio albums, Band of Gypsys and Blues that’s worth grabbing on vinyl from his discography?

Definitely those. The Family editions that I have have all been great so I may eventually pick most of them up. I probably don't need ALL of the live Jimi ones. But I'll pick one of those up eventually I imagine.

In the recent target deal I used the cancel trick to order the Jimi Hendrix Experience - Electric Ladyland: 50th Anniversary boxset. It hasn't arrived yet.

Your boy Bernie Grundman did it. https://www.google.com/amp/s/blog.discogs.com/en/jimi-hendrix-electric-ladyland/amp/

Definitely those. The Family editions that I have have all been great so I may eventually pick most of them up. I probably don't need ALL of the live Jimi ones. But I'll pick one of those up eventually I imagine.

In the recent target deal I used the cancel trick to order the Jimi Hendrix Experience - Electric Ladyland: 50th Anniversary boxset. It hasn't arrived yet.

Your boy Bernie Grundman did it. Jimi Hendrix Finally Got His Way For 'Electric Ladyland' 50th Anniversary
I love Bernie Grundman! This 50th Anniversary Boxset was all pressed at QRP too! I’m very happy with the family approved pressing of Electric Ladyland so I won’t be picking this up, but I am sure this pressing will sound outstanding, and maybe a bit better than the pressing I have!

I think I’m happy having all of Jimi Hendrix studio albums; especially both editions of Are you Experienced and Band of Gypsys, especially as that is all original material and was released before he died.

Blues seems like the perfect Jimi Hendrix compilation to add! 💎🎸

I love Bernie Grundman! This 50th Anniversary Boxset was all pressed at QRP too! I’m very happy with the family approved pressing of Electric Ladyland so I won’t be picking this up, but I am sure this pressing will sound outstanding, and maybe a bit better than the pressing I have!

I think I’m happy having all of Jimi Hendrix studio albums; especially both editions of Are you Experienced and Band of Gypsys, especially as that is all original material and was released before he died.

Blues seems like the perfect Jimi Hendrix compilation to add! 💎🎸

Blues is my favorite. It always has been. It probably helps that as a teen i had no idea it was a compilation.

Blues is my favorite. It always has been. It probably helps that as a teen i had no idea it was a compilation.

I'm mega fond of First Rays of the New Rising Sun despite its compyness. Think it's because a lot of my fave Hendrix (Ezy Rider, Freedom, Room Full of Mirrors, Steeping Stone, Angel....) are all on there and at the point my dad bought it for me I had no idea that Rainbow Bridge and The Cry of Love even existed. I had obviously lived a sheltered life up until 2017.

I don’t listen to Hendrix much these days but I have spent a lot of time over the years with him, Electric Ladyland got a lot of play back in the 80’s , really enjoy B o G’s too, used to watch that Jimi Hendrix movie from the early 70’s a lot too, the one with the Acoustic ‘ Train Acoming on video too.
I'm mega fond of First Rays of the New Rising Sun despite its compyness. Think it's because a lot of my fave Hendrix (Ezy Rider, Freedom, Room Full of Mirrors, Steeping Stone, Angel....) are all on there and at the point my dad bought it for me I had no idea that Rainbow Bridge and The Cry of Love even existed. I had obviously lived a sheltered life up until 2017.

I saw the Love Supreme Acoustic Sound pressing at the record store yesterday. I’m very curious about how it sounds compared to the current pressing I got a few years ago. I started to grab it but wanted to get opinions on it first.

Back