Definitive Audiophile pressings

I saw the Love Supreme Acoustic Sound pressing at the record store yesterday. I’m very curious about how it sounds compared to the current pressing I got a few years ago. I started to grab it but wanted to get opinions on it first.
From my memory, the widely available pressing before the 2016 complete masters set was fine but didn’t impress me too much. I sold it after acquiring various vintage pressings of it. This is the first time I was really impressed by the recording. I’ve never heard the 45 rpm set. This release is very much in line with how the tone poets sound compared to Van Gelder recordings. Much better instrument separation and more clarity. Less “punch”.

I saw the Love Supreme Acoustic Sound pressing at the record store yesterday. I’m very curious about how it sounds compared to the current pressing I got a few years ago. I started to grab it but wanted to get opinions on it first.
This is the biggest vinyl headache, lol. I have the 2016 Impulse Complete Masters and it sounds fantastic. The AS is really tempting, but it's such a hard trigger to pull sometimes. I have the SRV AS pressings of CStW and Soul to Soul and they're perfect, now MoFi's releasing SRV Can't Stand the Weather on a One-Step...........and that's tempting AF, lol.

Ive been trying to find a video where Michael Fremer talks about it. He basically says what you said, and stated that the original pressing is mind-blowingly good. I believe I am right in thinking he picked it up cheap not expecting much but was blown away by it. Im getting more and more tempted by it.
Here‘s the video - somewhere around the 9th minute into the video

This is the biggest vinyl headache, lol. I have the 2016 Impulse Complete Masters and it sounds fantastic. The AS is really tempting, but it's such a hard trigger to pull sometimes. I have the SRV AS pressings of CStW and Soul to Soul and they're perfect, now MoFi's releasing SRV Can't Stand the Weather on a One-Step...........and that's tempting AF, lol.
I have the ALS Complete Masters and it sounds great, all analog mastering, and has the Shepp takes which are really good. No need to go further.
I had the AP 45rpm, and it has the 'audiophile' smooth sound, but I sold it because the Complete Masters is perfectly great.
ALS is no audiophile recording to begin with. Pretty simple basic recording. People can twiddle with EQ every time someone puts out another version, and buyers will drop jaws over it, because those little tweaks will make it a bit different. Bottom line is, there really isn't more to be done with ALS.

Interesting new series from MoFi coming out...seems they are going to start re-releasing some titles on Super Vinyl at 33. That's the same vinyl formula as the One Steps (different from the One Step process though). First title up is Elvis Costello and Burt Bacharach - Painted from Memory. This was previously pressed as a regular MoFi album a few years ago. Limited to 2,000 copies and ONLY available through MoFi's site (maybe Music Direct too). But these will not be in record stores supposedly..

Hoping this means some other older MoFis get the 33 Supervinyl treatment as I would be way more interested in a bunch of those than the 45s.

Interesting new series from MoFi coming out...seems they are going to start re-releasing some titles on Super Vinyl at 33. That's the same vinyl formula as the One Steps (different from the One Step process though). First title up is Elvis Costello and Burt Bacharach - Painted from Memory. This was previously pressed as a regular MoFi album a few years ago. Limited to 2,000 copies and ONLY available through MoFi's site (maybe Music Direct too). But these will not be in record stores supposedly..

Hoping this means some other older MoFis get the 33 Supervinyl treatment as I would be way more interested in a bunch of those than the 45s.
Is that a single LP? Ridiculous price. Didn't they say it only costs them like $5 more? Or maybe MM said that about SRX.

Just cashing in.

Is that a single LP? Ridiculous price. Didn't they say it only costs them like $5 more? Or maybe MM said that about SRX.

Just cashing in.
I don't remember anybody saying that the supervinyl costs only $5 more to make, but $5 price per unit extra is actually a pretty big cost extra manufacturing cost...not trying to justify the $50 price tag though it is a lot...with MoFi I typically know that I'm getting quality though. I'm not gonna buy most of these, but if there's an album I really want, I'd probably snag it.

It's all relative, right? The One Steps are 2xLP for $125-$135 now.

I don't remember anybody saying that the supervinyl costs only $5 more to make, but $5 price per unit extra is actually a pretty big cost extra manufacturing cost...not trying to justify the $50 price tag though it is a lot...with MoFi I typically know that I'm getting quality though. I'm not gonna buy most of these, but if there's an album I really want, I'd probably snag it.

It's all relative, right? The One Steps are 2xLP for $125-$135 now.
I doubt it even costs that much honestly, we are talking vinyl, and increasing the cost by $5 and adding 200% of that cost on top of it is printing money.

It is relative, and while I have a good number of 33 MoFis from a few years ago, they have priced me out on this crap. MoFi was great quality before "Super Vinyl" and I'd much rather they release good stuff at 33 at their normal price point.

Unfortunately they have realized that in this era audiophiles don't care what you charge anymore apparently. They are making a killing on one steps.

I am afraid reasonably priced audiophile reissues from companies like MoFi and AP are rapidly disappearing and it is a bummer and purely due to people supporting these sorts of cash grabs.

We are talking a 43% markup for a different formulation of plastic!

Last edited:
Ive been trying to find a video where Michael Fremer talks about it. He basically says what you said, and stated that the original pressing is mind-blowingly good. I believe I am right in thinking he picked it up cheap not expecting much but was blown away by it. Im getting more and more tempted by it.
I've got the 33RPM AP on backorder. Hope it comes in one of these days.

I doubt it even costs that much honestly, we are talking vinyl, and increasing the cost by $5 and adding 200% of that cost on top of it is printing money.

It is relative, and while I have a good number of 33 MoFis from a few years ago, they have priced me out on this crap. MoFi was great quality before "Super Vinyl" and I'd much rather they release good stuff at 33 at their normal price point.

Unfortunately they have realized that in this era audiophiles don't care what you charge anymore apparently. They are making a killing on one steps.

I am afraid reasonably priced audiophile reissues from companies like MoFi and AP are rapidly disappearing and it is a bummer and purely due to people supporting these sorts of cash grabs.
It's a vicious cycle. Vinyl prices all over are rapidly rising. Demand is at an all-time high due to how many new consumers there are. Pressing plants charge more because there's more demand, labels charge more because they can get it. Places like VMP and MMJ are leading the charge too...charging almost $50 now for a GZ pressed 2xLP at VMP. $80 or whatever it is for an SRX. $100!!! for a 1 LP in some cases at MMJ.

Also, you do realize that the markup in general on 95% of all consumer goods is insane right? haha $250 Nikes cost probably $5 to make. It's not a problem specific to vinyl. It's just bleeding even more into vinyl now as it gets more popular.

It's a vicious cycle. Vinyl prices all over are rapidly rising. Demand is at an all-time high due to how many new consumers there are. Pressing plants charge more because there's more demand, labels charge more because they can get it. Places like VMP and MMJ are leading the charge too...charging almost $50 now for a GZ pressed 2xLP at VMP. $80 or whatever it is for an SRX. $100!!! for a 1 LP in some cases at MMJ.

Also, you do realize that the markup in general on 95% of all consumer goods is insane right? haha $250 Nikes cost probably $5 to make. It's not a problem specific to vinyl. It's just bleeding even more into vinyl now as it gets more popular.
Yeah and I hate them for it, but I can't just say oh well when I bought bunch of vinyl from all those companies at a reasonable price and then they all turn around and almost double or more than double prices. In that situation my response is oh well, guess I won't buy from them anymore. Until I win the lotto! Or at least get my kids out of pre school! 🤑🤑

If it helps, I would never consider buying a $250 pair of Nikes either. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
Masterpieces by Ellington isn't just a fantastic album, it is a mindblower. The sound is astonishing. Totally essential.
I picked up the Masterpieces album yesterday while at a hifi store yesterday (grabbed a used Parasound zphono for the basement system). That record is the most proverbial musicians-in-the-room-with-you record I now have. It really is a time machine, and a reference for what is possible if all the performance, recording, mastering, and pressing variables come together just right.

Yeah and I hate them for it, but I can't just say oh well when I bought bunch of vinyl from all those companies at a reasonable price and then they all turn around and almost double or more than double prices. In that situation my response is oh well, guess I won't buy from them anymore. Until I win the lotto! Or at least get my kids out of pre school! 🤑🤑

If it helps, I would never consider buying a $250 pair of Nikes either. 🤷‍♂️
haha yea I hear you on all of this. It's very frustrating. And I don't plan to buy too many of these as I said...but i will probably not be able to resist a few titles. Luckily, somewhat, whoever is in charge of selecting MoFi titles doesn't quite have the same music taste as me

haha yea I hear you on all of this. It's very frustrating. And I don't plan to buy too many of these as I said...but i will probably not be able to resist a few titles. Luckily, somewhat, whoever is in charge of selecting MoFi titles doesn't quite have the same music taste as me
I can say that i will probably not buy any of this series if it is only available directly from MoFi (seem to be taking a page out of MMJs playbook). But all bets are off if they announce a Miles Davis release.

I can say that i will probably not buy any of this series if it is only available directly from MoFi (seem to be taking a page out of MMJs playbook). But all bets are off if they announce a Miles Davis release.
From what I have seen for now, its only this single SuperVinyl that's being sold as a MoFi exclusive.

I'm in the same boat as you. If certain titles are released, I'll dip in. I understand that these are 1xLPs for the same price as a 2xLP 45, but I'd rather have the 1x 33 haha. Also, not sure if you saw but the 45 of Filles de Kilimanjaro just got a random restock from MoFi...

Back