Definitive Audiophile pressings

I ordered it (along with The Cars), but it hasn't shipped yet. Been a while actually - they're taking their sweet time.

But I won't be able to make a comparison to the MOFI - my current copy is the 50th 33rpm.
I heard rumors of a taking inventory at Rhino caused the delays.
They sent me a GENEROUS 10% off my next overpriced Rhino order as Mea Culpa.

It's a good replacement to not have to get up and change records, but I think the 45 may be a bit better. I didn't do a direct A/B comparison, though.

It may be better than the CB cut that is out there, too...like the one in the VMP box set, but not by much. That one wasn't too bad, either.

I still haven't listened to The Cars - Candy-O yet.

I ordered it (along with The Cars), but it hasn't shipped yet. Been a while actually - they're taking their sweet time.

But I won't be able to make a comparison to the MOFI - my current copy is the 50th 33rpm.

Yeah...that's weird. I've had my Cars and GD for over a week now. They shipped faster than I remember other Rhino High Fidelity releases shipping.

It's a good replacement to not have to get up and change records, but I think the 45 may be a bit better. I didn't do a direct A/B comparison, though.

It may be better than the CB cut that is out there, too...like the one in the VMP box set, but not by much. That one wasn't too bad, either.

I still haven't listened to The Cars - Candy-O yet.
I agree on American Beauty. The 45 is better but it’s nice to not have to get up every 8 minutes. Honestly, the 45 rpm pressing is one of the best pressings I have of any record but the Rhino 33 is also really good. I’d say it’s on par with my original green label pressing. I’m quite happy with it.

Anyone getting the Rhino American Beauty?
I listened to my copy of the Mofi last night and it's better than I remembered.
They cut from the tape on it.
If comparable, I'd like to get down to the 33 instead.
I got it. I think it sounds great. Need to compare it to my original. Sold my mofi awhile back because I don’t love 45 flipping…

Anyone getting the Rhino American Beauty?
I listened to my copy of the Mofi last night and it's better than I remembered.
They cut from the tape on it.
If comparable, I'd like to get down to the 33 instead.
The 2014 Rhino Bellman cut is AAA and sounds excellent also. Just throwing that out there. I am sure it’s easier just to purchase the Rhino Audiophile but it’s another ways to go if you so desire.

my American Beauty just showed up and I didn't do a proper A/B with the Mofi but my initial impression is that this is very Jerry forward both in vocals and guitar and that the harmonies really shine. I remember not really caring for the 50th anniversary, and I've had an early 00s copy that I've strangely loved for 20 years, but I think this is probably the best of the 33rpms I've owned. The Mofi is probably better, but as others have said, also wildly inconvenient.

my American Beauty just showed up and I didn't do a proper A/B with the Mofi but my initial impression is that this is very Jerry forward both in vocals and guitar and that the harmonies really shine. I remember not really caring for the 50th anniversary, and I've had an early 00s copy that I've strangely loved for 20 years, but I think this is probably the best of the 33rpms I've owned. The Mofi is probably better, but as others have said, also wildly inconvenient.
I've heard the vocals and guitar are the highlight with the KG cut.
I bet it's another Cars sellout.

Anybody excited about the Pablo AP33 series from Chad?
Not me. Between this and bluesville, I’m happy to see new reissue series, but it’s almost a relief that I don’t want any of them. Who knows how many they’re pressing, and I’m sure Chad knows his biz better than I do, but I’m surprised there’d be that much interest in some of those Pablo titles.

I don't know if this qualifies as "definitive" but snagged an early/original copy of JAMC's Psychocandy from SHF. The OGs are noticeably better than the reissues (like the Rhino I have from a decade ago) in what is a deceptively complex record to get right. Pretty pumped.

I don't know if this qualifies as "definitive" but snagged an early/original copy of JAMC's Psychocandy from SHF. The OGs are noticeably better than the reissues (like the Rhino I have from a decade ago) in what is a deceptively complex record to get right. Pretty pumped.
Those JAMC can be spendy.

Back