December 2022 Vinyl Spin Challenge: The Intergalactic Mixtape Dance-Off!

Day 2 – Go All The Way
It feels so right (Feels so right). Being with you here tonight.
Play some Power Pop.

This band is pretty new, so maybe it hasn't been listed in the Power Pop genre yet. But I think they qualify. They have many mix-tape worthy songs, I'll go with 'Chaise Longue.'

Wet Leg - s/t

PXL_20221202_205858568.jpg

Day 2 – Go All The Way
Play some Power Pop.

Super Deluxe - Famous
Song: “She Came On”

35C58517-35EC-4EC7-97DD-0A565276B4A9.jpeg

If someone said I had to pick only one subgenre to listen to for the rest of my life, it’d no doubt be power pop. So many tracks to choose from, but had to go with a more nostalgic pick. The Seattle area in the 90s quickly got burnt out from the overwhelming number of “grunge” bands, so the more upbeat harmonies from bands like the Posies and Super Deluxe were very welcome. You’d always find this album when flipping through anyone’s CD flipcase.

Day 2 – Go All The Way
Play some Power Pop.

Dazy - OUTOFBODY

I'm going digital for this one, with one of the most fun finds of 2022 for me. Dazy make 90s-infused, catchy as hell power pop that at times can remind me of Fountains of Wayne and Green Day at the same time.

Going with the track "Rollercoaster Ride" to keep up the energy of my mix.

Screenshot_20221202-180138-656.png

Day 2 – Go All The Way
Play some Power Pop.

Teenage Fanclub – Grand Prix
20221202_190806.jpg

I don't dislike Power Pop by any means. In fact, I quite enjoy a lot of it but this is literally the only power pop album in my collection. So thank you @jamieanderson1968 for playing something else by these guys and not this one!

Day 2 – Go All The Way
Play some Power Pop.

Teenage Fanclub – Grand Prix
View attachment 159930

I don't dislike Power Pop by any means. In fact, I quite enjoy a lot of it, but this is literally the only power pop album in my collection. So thank you @jamieanderson1968 for playing something else by these guys and not this one!

Oh no! You need to fix that a little with two or three key records. Big Star #1 Record?

It's one of those genres that sounds so simple at first, but that is so hard to execute properly without coming off cheezy. When it works, the tracks end up sounding timeless.

Umm....

I don't know that I've ever seen a full episode of That 70's Show. 😶‍🌫️

Ok, forget that! 😅 It was in syndication at one point so I caught it a lot, but those days where you flick on the TV and watch whatever is playing are long gone. I was mentioning it because that track (which was covered by Cheap Trick for the show theme, but they hardly changed it from the original) would probably be most people's first encounter with Big Star.

#1 Record is a neat record. It sort of splits between power pop songs and acoustic almost folky but still catchy tracks. It also doesn't quite feel like it's from 1973. Probably why it was overlooked at first.

Ok, forget that! 😅 It was in syndication at one point so I caught it a lot, but those days where you flick on the TV and watch whatever is playing are long gone. I was mentioning it because that track (which was covered by Cheap Trick for the show theme, but they hardly changed it from the original) would probably be most people's first encounter with Big Star.

#1 Record is a neat record. It sort of splits between power pop songs and acoustic almost folky but still catchy tracks. It also doesn't quite feel like it's from 1973. Probably why it was overlooked at first.

I've added it to my homework list! ;)

Day 3 – Spirit In The Sky
Oh set me up with the spirit in the sky (spirit in the sky).
Play some gospel music or an album with a religious or spiritual theme.

Lingua Ignota - All Bitches Die (signed)

16700563370405871997729675946883.jpg

Kristin Hayter's solo project, which will come to a close this upcoming Q1, has featured religious imagery since its inception. Cuts like "God Gave Me No Name (no Thing Can Hide From My Flame)" and "For I Am the Light (and Mine is the Only Way)" are punishing, unforgiving, and demonstrate the wide sound palette that her music harnesses. Of course, the closing track "Holy is the Name (of my Ruthless Axe)" is stunningly gorgeous.
Also incentivized to play this one as Kristin announced a tour with Chat Pile for some west coast dates this upcoming February. It's gonna be one to remember.

Back