December 2022 Vinyl Spin Challenge: The Intergalactic Mixtape Dance-Off!

This is going to be fun, great monthly challenge idea @Turbo !

Day 1 - Hooked On A Feeling
Ooga-Chaka Ooga-Ooga Ooga-Chaka Ooga-Ooga.
Play a record with a song that you feel is a great mixtape/playlist opening track.

Such a perfect opener for my playlist. Honestly, I really think the first three songs on this record will make almost any new listener love this band. I'm so glad this recently got a first ever pressing.

The Greyboy Allstars - Turnip's Big Move
-from the album A Town Called Earth
IMG_2803.JPG

This is going to be fun, great monthly challenge idea @Turbo !

Play a record with a song that you feel is a great mixtape/playlist opening track.

Such a perfect opener for my playlist. Honestly, I really think the first three songs on this record will make almost any new listener love this band. I'm so glad this recently got a first ever pressing.

The Greyboy Allstars - Turnip's Big Move
-from the album A Town Called Earth
View attachment 159765

Oh, that's a great track! That's new to me. With the cover image, it sort of invokes the Space: 1999 Theme song for me, but slowed (or at least that funky guitar riff does).

Oh, that's a great track! That's new to me. With the cover image, it sort of invokes the Space: 1999 Theme song for me, but slowed (or at least that funky guitar riff does).
Glad you checked it out, I really dig these guys. I get a Deodato vibe sometimes, throwback funky jazz. And their Rusty Bryant cover of Fire Eater is fantastic.

Irreversible Entanglements – Open The Gates
20221201_200110.jpg

Long before I had any idea that I myself could one day become a spoken word performer, I had a propensity for leaning toward spoken word tracks to kick off my mixtapes - particularly with sweet musical accompaniment. It's funny to look back now and figure it was pretty obvious foreshadowing, but I hadn't even the slightest inkling. Anyway, I started a handful of playlists with the opening track and lead single to this last year. The chanting of "open the gates" seems very fitting as an intro, so here we go!

Day 2 – Go All The Way
It feels so right (Feels so right). Being with you here tonight.
Play some Power Pop.

One of the first great power pop songs. Arguably, the greatest. Ask folks about this song and most will say they've never heard of it. Play this song and most folks will say "I know that song. It's great!".

Flamin' Groovies - Shake Some Action

20221202_003020.jpg

Last edited:
Day 2 – Go All The Way
The Beatles - Christmas Time (Is Here Again)

Day 2 and already my only Christmas pledge is running into a hitch. I don't have a power pop Xmas album on vinyl per se, so it's back to the very origins of power pop and my favourite Beatles Christmas song, released here as the b-side to Free As A Bird. Bonus video of my favourite power pop Xmas song by the fabulous Rooks, which I only have on CD.

20221201_200221.jpg

Day 2 – Go All The Way
Play some Power Pop.

Kero Kero Bonito - Time 'n' Place

16699732305154795744796829040817.jpg

Perhaps not the best example of a power pop LP, but I have a limited number of physical examples that would qualify. Either way, tracks like "Flyway" and "Make Believe" are close to what I interpret the genre to be.

EDIT: Forgot to share track sample.

Last edited:
A day late but here I go

Johnny Boy - S/T
Picked this up on the strength of their amazing single. The fact that 45 had a forgettable b-side should have also given me pause when buying this cd (though sound better than I remember).
IMG_1419.jpg

But their first 45, and lead of track on the cd, is a doozer. I would say one of the greatest unheard songs of the 2000s. Sounds like Hope Sandoval and JaMC covering the Shirelles. I have put this song on tons of mixed cds and streaming playlists.

Irreversible Entanglements – Open The Gates
View attachment 159780

Long before I had any idea that I myself could one day become a spoken word performer, I had a propensity for leaning toward spoken word tracks to kick off my mixtapes - particularly with sweet musical accompaniment. It's funny to look back now and figure it was pretty obvious foreshadowing, but I hadn't even the slightest inkling. Anyway, I started a handful of playlists with the opening track and lead single to this last year. The chanting of "open the gates" seems very fitting as an intro, so here we go!

Cool choice. Love that album (which I believe you introduced me to)!

Day 2 – Go All The Way
Play some Power Pop

Sloan "One Chord To Another" (1996 Murderecords; 2016 reissue)
As @imtheocean says, track 2 is key for keeping the energy and vibe going. So I'm going with the horn-driven power pop of "Everything You've Done Wrong". The hooks on this are timeless.

IMG_3256.JPG

Guardians of The Galaxy Lego Advent Calendar Interlude!

Day 2 - Peter brings his mom's Awesome Mix Vol. 1 to the challenge! Today, it's Peter that's getting the gift and look at that, it's a mixtape and some headphones. Seems like somebody wants to join this month's challenge!

IMG_3255.JPG

Back