December 2022 Vinyl Spin Challenge: The Intergalactic Mixtape Dance-Off!

Day 1 - Hooked On A Feeling
Ooga-Chaka Ooga-Ooga Ooga-Chaka Ooga-Ooga.
Play a record with a song that you feel is a great mixtape/playlist opening track.

Channeling my inner James Gunn to start this mixtape out, tried to find a song with a hook that would grab you right off the bat and be appropriate for both an action sequence and dancing Groot. The result? Hit it and Quit It!

Funkadelic ~ Maggot Brain

1669915321979.png

Play a record with a song that you feel is a great mixtape/playlist opening track.

Channeling my inner James Gunn to start this mixtape out, tried to find a song with a hook that would grab you right off the bat and be appropriate for both an action sequence and dancing Groot. The result? Hit it and Quit It!

Funkadelic ~ Maggot Brain

View attachment 159704

Even Super Stupid would work as an opener. Such a great album!

Last edited:
Play a record with a song that you feel is a great mixtape/playlist opening track
PXL_20221201_180031072.jpg

Lefties Soul Connection "Organ Donor" - Starting this off with some scorching hot organ to get the blood pumping and your ass moving!! Nice little cover of a DJ Shadow track...

Play a record with a song that you feel is a great mixtape/playlist opening track
View attachment 159707

Lefties Soul Connection "Organ Donor" - Starting this off with some scorching hot organ to get the blood pumping and your ass moving!! Nice little cover of a DJ Shadow track...

I have that 45 too! Love that cover.

View attachment 159707

I have that 45 too! Love that cover.

Perfect, I hadn't added anything to my wantlist yet today!

Pavement - Spit On A Stranger EP
9DC6414D-696C-40E0-AC4D-BB26D4211F19.jpeg
I usually like for a mixtape opening cut come in like a lamb and leave like a Lion and the unreleased b-side “Harness Your Hopes” really delivers in that regard.

Marie Davidson - Renegade Breakdown

I love the album opener and title track Renegade Breakdown and I think it’s where I want to start my mixed tape. It gets you dancing while being the perfect amount of snarky.

88E3F119-D2AE-493D-91E5-498D5AF9B655.jpeg

Marie Davidson - Renegade Breakdown

I love the album opener and title track Renegade Breakdown and I think it’s where I want to start my mixed tape. It gets you dancing while being the perfect amount of snarky.

View attachment 159729

Oh great choice! I put that track on my own playlists last year.

Amber Mark - Three Dimensions Deep (signed)

16699281287902297941708088388809.jpg

I don't have a modern day R&B/pop playlist, but a theoretical one made by me would kick off with "Foreign Things." According to Spotify, I've given Amber 1505 minutes of my time this year, what's another play going to hurt? 🤗 All of these songs popped off live!

James - Laid
Song: “Sometimes”

CAEF25B7-68A5-4328-8743-F723C5D47F8B.jpeg

This album could consist of just this one song 10 times and I’d be fine, but wouldn’t you know, there’s some other great songs on here, too? When the rest of the band joins in to sing toward the end and they just repeat that one line, it gets me every time

Last edited:
Back