December 2022 Vinyl Spin Challenge: The Intergalactic Mixtape Dance-Off!

Turbo

Intergalactic mixtape.jpg

Dance Off 1.gifDance off 2.gifDance Off 3.gif

Join us for the month & spin some records from your collection. Everyone is welcome!

The usual rules:
  • This is not a competition.
  • Interpret each daily challenge as you wish. Be creative and stretch the prompt to fit something in your collection as you need.
  • Feel free to share a story related to your selection. We love reading those. But don’t feel obliged to do so.
  • Try not to spin the same record as someone else on the same day.
  • Please don’t post a selection ahead of time.
  • If you fall behind or start late, no worries – try to catch-up.
  • It may also be difficult to keep up with the holiday season, so go ahead and post some digital streams if you are away from your turntable. Or do that anyway. Tapes and CDs also welcome!
  • Feel free to comment or discuss the selections of others. Stay positive. Have fun!

***************GIFT!!!********************
It’s the holidays, so there’s going to be a gift! Every member that makes it to the end of the month will get one entry in a draw.
I’ll send the winner something nice.

OPTIONAL BONUS FINAL CHALLENGE
Create your mixtape along the way and share at the end of the month!
  • Pick a track from each of the albums you play this month.
  • You can post a link to a streaming platform or just post the song list.
  • You don’t have to, but feel free to cull some songs and pare your virtual mixtape down to 60 or 90 minutes so it would fit on an actual hi-performance metal chromium cassette tape (in other words, make it more friendly for others to listen to).
  • Don’t forget to give it a name.
  • Sharing your mixtape gets you a bonus entry in the draw.

mixtape.jpg

Volume 1 - December 1-12

Day 1 - Hooked On A Feeling

Ooga-Chaka Ooga-Ooga Ooga-Chaka Ooga-Ooga.
Play a record with a song that you feel is a great mixtape/playlist opening track.

Day 2 – Go All The Way
It feels so right (Feels so right). Being with you here tonight.
Play some Power Pop.

Day 3 – Spirit In The Sky
Oh set me up with the spirit in the sky (spirit in the sky).
Play some gospel music or an album with a religious or spiritual theme.

Day 4 – Moonage Daydream
I'll be a rock 'n' rollin' bitch for you.
Play some glam rock or anything glamorous.

Day 5 – Fooled Around And Fell In Love
I fooled around and fell in love, since I met you baby.
Play some Yacht Rock, or anything related to fools, sailing or sipping champagne.

Day 6 – I’m Not In Love
I’m not in love, so don’t forget it. It’s just a silly phase I’m going through.
Play an album/artist/genre you were really into for a while. Or from a rabbit hole you dove into for a while.

Day 7 – I Want You Back
Oh darlin', I was blind to let you go (Let you go, baby). But now since I've seen you it is on (I want you back). Oh I do now (I want you back). Ooh ooh baby (I want you back). Yeah yeah yeah yeah. (I want you back).
Play something you haven’t played in a long time. And dance around like baby Groot.

Day 8 – Come And Get Your Love
Hey (hey) what's the matter with you, feel right? Don't you feel right, baby?
Ok, so you’re this really cool adventurer and you’re navigating with finesse and style through an ancient temple filled with traps to get an ancient artifact. Play your soundtrack.

Day 9 – Cherry Bomb
Hello world I'm your wild girl. I'm your ch-ch-ch-cherry bomb.
Play something that features fireworks, explosions or fire, either in song or album art. Or play an album by a girl band.

Day 10 – Escape (The Pina Colada Song)
If you like piña coladas, and gettin' caught in the rain…
Escape the winter and play something tropical.

Day 11 – O-o-h Child
Ooh child. Things are gonna be easier. Ooh child. Things'll be brighter.
Play something bright, hopeful and/or positive.

Day 12 – Ain’t No Mountain High Enough
'Cause baby, there ain't no mountain high enough. Ain't no valley low enough, ain't no river wide enough
to keep me from getting to you, baby.

Play some soul music.

Volume 2 – December 13-25

Day 13 – Mr. Blue Sky

Mr. Blue Sky, please tell us why. You had to hide away for so long (so long). Where did we go wrong?
What’s the weather where you live today? Tell us what it’s like and play something that goes with it.

Day 14 – Fox On The Run
You, you talk about just every band, but the names you drop are second-hand (second-hand). I've heard it all before.
Play an artist/album that you seem to be one of the few people that listens to them/it. If you wish, tell us why we should listen too.

Day 15 – Lake Shore Drive
And there ain't no road just like it, anywhere I found.
Play some spaceship flying music - what’s on your stereo when you’re cruising around the stars?

Day 16 – The Chain
I can still hear you saying, you would never break the chain (Never break the chain).
Play something related to what you played yesterday and tell us how it’s linked.

Day 17 – Bring It On Home To Me
Bring it on home to me. Yeah (yeah) yeah (yeah) yeah (yeah).
Play something featuring the word “yeah”.

Day 18 – Southern Nights
Southern nights, have you ever felt a southern night. Free as a breeze, not to mention the trees.
Play something southern (southern part of a country, southern hemisphere, etc…).

Day 19 – My Sweet Lord
My sweet Lord, my Lord, my Lord. I really want to know you. Really want to go with you.
My Sweet Lord is villain Ego The Living Planet’s introduction song in Guardians Vol. 2. Play the song that would introduce you if you were a villain. Optional: what kind of villain would you be?

Day 20 – Come A Little Bit Closer
Then the music stopped, when I looked the café was empty. Then I heard José say "Man, you know you're in trouble plenty".
Press play and restart the music in the café. Play something you’d hear in whatever type of café you’d be in.

Day 21 – Wham Bang Sham-A-Lang
We've got a wham, bam shang-a-lang, and a sha-la-la-la-la-la babe.
Play something with an onomatopoeia.

Day 22 – Surrender
Mommy's alright, Daddy's alright. They just seem a little weird.
Play something you first heard from your parents or a relative *or* play something you introduced your children to.

Day 23 – Father & Son
Look at me, I am old, but I'm happy.
Play something old that you enjoy.

Day 24 – Flash Light
You're getting me, getting me through the night. 'Cause you're my flashlight (flashlight). You're my flashlight (flashlight). You're my flashlight.
Play something festive!

Day 25 – Guardians Inferno
Zardu Hasselfrau, Zardu Hasselfrau, hey.
I declare that Christmas is David Hasselhoff day this year! Play something somehow related to David Hasselhoff. Or play whatever you want. Anything goes.

Last edited:
Extra Tracks (Selections from Marvel’s Guardians of The Galaxy video game) – December 26-31

Day 26 – Everybody Have Fun Tonight

Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.
Play something to Wang Chung to.

Day 27 – Hidden Track
You know the game, and we’re gonna play it.
Play something popular that you never tire of hearing.

Day 28 – (Don’t Fear) The Reaper
Come on, baby (don't fear the reaper). Baby, take my hand (don't fear the reaper). We'll be able to fly (don't fear the reaper). Baby, I'm your man.
Play something heavy.

Day 29 – (I Ran) So Far Away
… And I ran, I ran so far away. I just ran, I ran all night and day. I couldn't get away.
Play some 80’s music. Or play something by an artist with a crazy hairdo.

Day 30 – Holding Out For A Hero
I need a hero. I'm holding out for a hero 'til the morning light. He's gotta be sure, and it's gotta be soon,
and he's gotta be larger than life.

Play your favorite album of 2022.

Day 31 – The Final Countdown
It's the final countdown, the final countdown. The final countdown (final countdown). (Oh) Oh.
To close out the year, play an album with a track that you feel is a great mixtape/playlist closer.

OPTIONAL BONUS FINAL CHALLENGE
Post the mixtape you created along the way!

• Pick a track from each of the albums you played this month.
  • You can post a link to a streaming platform or just post the song list.
  • You don’t have to, but feel free to cull some songs and pare your virtual mixtape down to 60 or 90 minutes so it would fit on an actual hi-performance metal chromium cassette tape (in other words, make it more friendly for others to listen to).
  • Don’t forget to give it a name.

Last edited:
I think I might be in on this month (finally). I have picked up so many cds the last few months, I think I am going to try and do cd-only for this challenge.

Awesome! Love to see you back in these challenges. The holidays might make things a bit difficult but I'm hoping people can find work-arounds.

Play a record with a song that you feel is a great mixtape/playlist opening track.

The D Mixtape likes to bring things full circle. Start with a smoker to set the tone, close with the same song by the same artist interpreted with a totally different vibe.

Opener...

Closer...

The Black Crowes - The Southern Harmony And Musical Companion

20221201_005729.jpg

Day 1 - Hooked on a Feeling
Sharon Jones & The Dap-Kings - It's A Holiday Soul Party

I'm in - for the first time in ages. And in a possibly extremely foolhardy decision, I'm going to try to play a Christmas record every day (at least until Xmas). First up is one of my very favourites with just the best kick-off track for getting me in a good mood.

Sharon.jpg

Fatboy Slim – You've Come A Long Way, Baby

A lot of bangers on this one, but the opening track Right Here, Right Now gets me started everytime.

PXL_20221201_165752571.jpg

Back