December 2021 Vinyl Spin Challenge Thread: ‘Tis The Season Of Giving

Day 26 - Charity
Play something that engenders goodwill in you

I'll usually try to pick up the pink variant over another if I see it available.

Gwar ‎– The Blood Of Gods
Metal Blade Records ‎– 3984-25041-1, 2017

#tenbandsonecause - limited to 1000 on pink vinyl

Cut by Wes Garland at NRP
Pressed at United

uOg8y7.jpg

bhyT4W.jpg

Day 27 - Unique
Play something that prominently features a unique or uncommon instrument

I haven't seen this instrument posted here...but I haven't looked all that closely.
EDIT - I see @Turbo used it for the Pixies album.

Various ‎– Cursed Films (Original Series Soundtrack)
Ship To Shore Phonograph Co./Shudder ‎– STS-062, 2021

Pressed at GZ

0bEdc4.jpg

elTvdQ.jpg

Last edited:
Day 28 - Comic Books
Play something related to comics to celebrate Stan Lee’s birthday

An homage to the EC horror comics of the 1950's, I read the comic/graphic novel of this way before watching the movie.

John Harrison – Creepshow
Waxwork Records – WW004, 1982/2017

Translucent red with blue smoke - "Kill-lights" variant

Pressed at MRP/GZ

VuvVoF.jpg

edywoI.jpg

The Coolies were a band out of Athens, GA that had a 4 year run and released two records. The first was all Simon & Garfunkel covers. The second was a rock opera comic book.

Doug is the story of a skinhead named Doug, who kills a drag queen short-order cook, steals his recipe book and becomes a "culinary giant" when the cookbook becomes a nationwide bestseller. Doug embraces the celebrity lifestyle of stretch limousines and partying. Soon, his guilt drives him to become paranoid, and he's certain that the entire food service industry knows of his crime and is out for revenge—so he decides he will stop eating, and subsist solely on crack cocaine and alcohol. Having squandered his fortune on luxuries and drugs, Doug ends up back on the streets in poverty. IGN rated Doug the thirteenth greatest rock opera of all time in 2006. A comic book version of this tale, drawn by singer/songwriter Jack Logan was included with the LP record and could be acquired by sending a dollar to DB Recs.

The Coolies also paid homage to other bands in the different musical song styles. A couple examples to play name that band...

The Coolies - The Coolies Present Doug - A Rock Opera And Comic Book

20211228_234155.jpg

20211228_233440.jpg

Last edited:
Day 29 - Home
Play something from your hometown or home country

I grew up in Fairview Heights until I was 11 and we moved in 1988. Had we stayed, I would have been bussed to Belleville for high school. I really don't count the place we moved to as my "hometown" as I was really only there for about 8 years or so, leaving a year after I graduated high school in '95 - and it really sucked.

Screenshot 2021-12-28 203105.JPG

Uncle Tupelo – Anodyne
Sire – RCV1 45424, 1993/2020

Cut by Ian Sefchick at Capitol Mastering
Pressed at Record Industry

1JLsBz.jpg

IpTkNf.jpg

Day 29 - Home
Play something from your hometown or home country.

I'm going with Brazil, despite not being born here, it's where I've built my life.
This album is psychedelic classic and has one of my all-time favorite tracks (Ando meio desligado).

Os Mutantes - A Divina Comédia ou Ando Meio Desligado

6AB66707-28D2-4440-BDBE-C4A73DFFAC34.jpeg

Day 29 - Home

This one is a little hard for me because I've lived all over the place and not a whole lot of those places ever really felt like home. The place I called home the longest was Boulder, Colorado, and back then it was a place I really loved. It's lost a lot of what made it great over the years, but you can still find that atmosphere in the surrounding mountain towns. So I picked Leftover Salmon's newest album for today because they used to capture that feeling well. The title track of this album really hits that mark.

Brand New Good Old Days

IMG_20211229_082919.jpg
IMG_20211229_082848.jpg
Bonus banger from back in the day.

Day 29 - Home
Play something from your hometown or home (state)

Unless Tony Romo made a record that I don’t know about, you get this! I did see them in my home town at chocolate fest. Their set got cut short because of a raging storm, but it was awesome.

B9A5C9F8-91E3-4898-894A-591CC9B731BD.jpeg

Back