Darlington Labs MM-6 USA Tour

tenor.gif

I've had the MM-6 going now for a few days and have gotten to do some quick listens. The big test is coming tonight when the wife is away and I can do some heavier listening. I don't have golden ears by any stretch so I'm doing this from the perspective of what sounds good to me. I haven't directly A/B'ed anything either, but might just to see if I hear some differences. Some thoughts below.

My experience thus far would be that the MM-6 is smooth. Music sounds like music and is enjoyable. "Change It" by Stevie Ray Vaughn and Double Trouble sounds real (AP pressing). Stevie's voice is front and center, and the band sounds like's it's behind him. It's not quiet, they are definitely there, and when Stevie rips his solo you get the full effective. One of my favorite parts of this song are Reese Wynan's keys and I like hearing them go minor during the chorus. It sounds right with the MM-6. The soul of the song is there, flowing through the air and right into me.

I also listened to the 7 inch from the latest TMR Vault, Jack's performance on Saturday Night Live. I've listened to that probably 10 or so times on Youtube so I've got a good sense of what it sounds like. Here I feel like I'm in the SNL studio. Bass is there, drums have lots of great kick, and Jack's guitar is melting my face.

Finally, I spun a recent addition of Duke Ellington's Money Jungle, De Agostini pressing (2016). I chose this because I listened to it last week and found lots of sharp highs on "Very Special" and "Warm Valley". That was much more toned down this time around with the MM-6, maybe barely there, but definitely more enjoyable. Moreover, as I listened I could easily switch between listening to the drums, bass, piano, and all three together. Mingus' bass sounded muddy before, less so with the MM-6.

Despite the fact that the MM-6 is at a higher gain than what I have my Mani set to (40db vs 30db), I don't have to crank it much to get to the same volume. In fact, it sounds good at about the same volume levels and a little above. Darlington Labs calls this out on their page saying "Listen 4 to 6dB louder without strain or fatigue than competitive products for greater perceived dynamics and musical immersion". My experience matches this.

Tonight I'm planning to dig into some of my older pressings, less than stellar pressings, and maybe a mono album to see how it handles those. I might also break out the headphones for this to get a little more critical. More to come!

Some more spins last night.

Aretha Franklin's Aretha Now sounded great. Smooth, full, nice. I tried toggling the mono switch. Something was happening when I did since I could hear a sound when I flipped it but the sound didn't change much.

I also played my 80s UK pressing of Sgt. Pepper (stereo cut). I had left the mono switch engaged and quickly changed that. Doing so changed the sound, so I think maybe it works. The sound was very nice. My copy doesn't play 100% clean and I was hoping the MM-6 would help that. It did, but only a little bit, it's not a panacea. Still, very enjoyable.

Finally, The Black Keys latest, Delta Kream, was awesome. Sounded so, so good. Not really sure how else to describe it. Kind of like going from 2 dimensions to 3 dimensions.

@Lee Newman you are up next, PM me your deets when ready.

I doubt there could me much of an issue with a mono switch. Someone needs to try Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon.
I feel like I have a Beatles or Animals record that has that faux stereo thing you were talking about referenced on the cover. I have an early DSOTM as well but no idea about the mastering on it.

Hey guys, I got an email from Keith. There has been an update in the circuitry to improve bass response along with the previously mentioned cosmetic updates. Keith would like the unit back to complete the updates (pretty easy change should be quick). @trickyseven if you’ve not sent it to NC, please return it to Darlington Labs. Keith will update both the circuit and cosmetics and forward it to @Lee Newman .

Hey guys, I got an email from Keith. There has been an update in the circuitry to improve bass response along with the previously mentioned cosmetic updates. Keith would like the unit back to complete the updates (pretty easy change should be quick). @trickyseven if you’ve not sent it to NC, please return it to Darlington Labs. Keith will update both the circuit and cosmetics and forward it to @Lee Newman .
Improve bass response? Wow interesting.

Any upgrade plan for all the units already sold?

Dang, interested to hear what that sounds like, but I'd imagine it sounds great. Really loved my time with the MM-6.

@HiFi Guy i don't see their address on the website, just a city/state. Do you have it by chance and want to DM it to me? Planning to get this out today.

Dang, interested to hear what that sounds like, but I'd imagine it sounds great. Really loved my time with the MM-6.

@HiFi Guy i don't see their address on the website, just a city/state. Do you have it by chance and want to DM it to me? Planning to get this out today.
I’ll DM the address to you.

Darlington will update sold units free of charge. Just pay return shipping.

These updates apply to the MM-5, MM-6 and MP-7.
Oh interesting. I have been loving the MP-6 but I would totally be interested in better bass response. I received mine back in May though so it has been a few months. Would it still apply? Who do i contact to find out, the main sales email?

Oh interesting. I have been loving the MP-6 but I would totally be interested in better bass response. I received mine back in May though so it has been a few months. Would it still apply? Who do i contact to find out, the main sales email?
Yes, email Keith at sales@darlingtonlabs.com. He's cool, he'll respond promptly and tell you what to do. You should ask for an updated front panel while you're at it.

Back