Darlington Labs MM-6 USA Tour

There shouldn’t be any difference between one mono button and another. Interesting.

You aren’t keeping it for the week?
I used it on mono Rubber Soul and White Album. I'll try some others - some of my jazz pressings maybe.

I'll keep running it another day or two. Heading out of town Friday so I'll try to get it passed along before I leave.

Can we get some insights?
You bet. Last night during some A/B shootouts my wife said "I hate to admit it but it DOES sound better." (I think this was during a spin of the 2016 Dark Side of the Moon, which I think is really well done).

I am using a Marantz 2245 that is known for its internal pre and I've always been VERY happy with it. At this point though I would have to score:

Darlington 1
Marantz 0

Overall I guess it's what one would expect. More open. More clarity. Takes the volume up a tick. I would say more punchy but not in a bad way. I've never run any other external pre with this receiver. Definitely considering especially at the price point.

I could not hear a difference with or without the mono switch engaged on the couple mono records I have.

That said, I think I'm gonna spring for the MP-7 once we're done remodeling the house and I can build up my fun account again.

Last edited:
I could not hear a difference with or without the mono switch engaged on the couple mono records I have.

That said, I think I'm gonna spring for the MP-7 once we're done remodeling the house and I can build up my fun account again.
So it’s not just me ha. Curious what others think down the line.

Wouldn't the mono switch make the most difference on an older mono record as modern mono are usually cut with the same equipment they cut stereo records with?

I’ve got some original mono Blue Notes and some other early mono presses I’ll spin tonight. Curious on mono VMP Doors and Stooges as well.
The VMP/Mono Doors is so different from the stereo mix. I can’t wait to have some time by myself so I can crank it up a bit.

Spinning the night away over here. Some new and old MOFI. Some "regular" presses. Some original Blue Note monos and some modern mono stuff. Everything sounds great. I don't think anyone would be disappointed. (Still no noticeable difference with the mono toggle switch engaged...maybe it's a bad circuit?).

Spinning the night away over here. Some new and old MOFI. Some "regular" presses. Some original Blue Note monos and some modern mono stuff. Everything sounds great. I don't think anyone would be disappointed. (Still no noticeable difference with the mono toggle switch engaged...maybe it's a bad circuit?).
Try testing with a stereo record?

Try testing with a stereo record?
Flipping on either a mono or stereo press seems to make no difference. It sounds fine. I just don't notice a difference. Typically when I engage the mono switch on my receiver I can tell the difference. It tightens up the sound.

Flipping on either a mono or stereo press seems to make no difference. It sounds fine. I just don't notice a difference. Typically when I engage the mono switch on my receiver I can tell the difference. It tightens up the sound.
very curious

Back