Darlington Labs MM-6 USA Tour

Really cool project HiFi Guy! Good job and I’m sure that some people are going to have their ears opened up and their minds expanded. Will be fun to read the ensuing observations and Darlington Labs is to be kudoed(?) for participating.

How do you like your MP-7? I haven’t heard it yet.
LOVE IT!
Unfortunately I'm only running a Nagaoka 110 through it, so I'm probably not getting the full potential, but compared to the iFi Zen, it's really delivering across the board. Punchier and more powerful bass and a ridiculous amount more detail in mids. Previously I figured I'd have to upgrade to a micro line stylus to get the amount of detail the Nag seemed to lacking through the iFi, but the MP-7 is bringing out more detail than I thought the Nag elliptical could deliver. Soundstage width is almost identical to the iFi Zen, but there's a bit more depth provided by the Darlington.

Update- the tour unit goes out tomorrow. Keith had to use the “extra” circuit board for a customer unit.

The units currently have basically a clear sticker for the logo and model name. That is changing. Starting July 12, logos will be professionally pad printed. Model numbers will be hand stenciled in the corner using the same paint and hardener.

Existing customers can return their faceplates for a free update if desired. Just pay postage back to Darlington, and Darlington will pay return postage. No guarantees on turn around time- the faceplates are not pad printed in house. The printer is a large concern that works with appliances and auto parts among other things. Email Darlington to make arrangements.

Due to the timeline, the tour unit will have the “old” cosmetics.

Should we post in here when we receive and ship out the unit? Also reviews?

I estimated that my turn should happen around mid September.

What's the best way to test these side by side? I was thinking about ordering a RCA splitter and plugging the two pre-amps into two different spots on my amp so that I could switch, but I have serious doubts that it will work.

Last edited:
What's the best way to test these side by side? I was thinking about ordering a RCA splitter and plugging the two pre-amps into two different spots on my amp so that I could switch, but I have serious doubts that it will work.
Just play records. No splitters or switches. You’ll hear the difference.

Back