Covers

Is anybody interested in a Spotify playlist in the first post like the ones I made for the 80's and 90's threads? Not all of this stuff Is on there but I'd at least keep adding the ones that are available.
I definitely support this.

I’m starting to think we need a Needles + Grooves spotify account to host all these playlists.

I’m quite fond of this cover. Joseph is a band made up of three sisters from Portland, OR and they released their cover of Tears For Fears’ “Everybody’s Wants to Rule the World” on their EP last year.

Doug Martsch has always done some of my favorite covers. I've long dreamed of Build To Spill putting out a covers album for RSD, or something.

Here are 2 solid ones from different eras. One from Bowie and one from Neil Young

The Dirtbombs are another band that does great covers, particularly in the live setting. From Sabbath's 'War Pigs' to the Eurythmics' 'Missionary Man', their duel drum and duel bass attack gives much swagger to anything they cover. This is their muscular take on Marvin Gaye's 'Got To Give It Up'. Gaye's falsetto is replaced by Mick Collins' more gruff/garage approach. Still funky as hell though.

Julien Baker piling up the feels in her cover of Photobooth by Death Cab:

Lauren Mayberry of CHVRCHES doing half a cover of Brothers on a Hotel Bed:

Probably my favorite cover of In the Aeroplane Over the Sea. Roma di Luna was Channy’s band before they formed Polica from its ashes.

Anna of the North doing a cover of Nothing Compares 2 U:

I’m gonna stop here for now. I’ll do another post later

The Julien Baker does DCFC is genius. I can listen to this on repeat ( & often do.)

This is a pretty radical reinterpretation of Leonard Cohen's 'Tower of Song' courtesy of The Jesus and Mary Chain. They give it a Velvet Underground-esque guitar overhaul, and select the absolute coolest verses from the original. Although relatively controlled guitar wise for a JAMC track, it is still sneaky loud.

Of Montreal have an absolutely rockin' cover of White Stripe's Fell In Love With A Girl - they kicked up the punchy punky nature in a way that was totally unexpected at the time (remember, this was before Aureate Gloom showed us Kevin Barnes had some garage in him!)

here's James Blake's jawdropping take on "Sound Of Silence". Though very stylistically different, Blake still manages to capture the solemn melancholic tone perfectly without going overboard with it - I won't call out anyone in specific but there are some not-so-great covers of this song that just leave me feeling disturbed ;)

CHVRCHES covered Arctic Monkey's "Do I Wanna Know?" for Like A Version, and while I could totally see some disliking it, I think it's fantastic - covers that can be so stylistically different from the original while still evoking the same feelings and moods are totally my thing, and CHVRCHES wonderfully utilize their synth-pop leanings to capture the original song's longing and foolish hope for something more

who would've though renowned mandolin player Chris Thile would be the one indie rocker brave enough to lead a band on a cover of LCD Soundsystem's Dance Yrself Clean? Furthermore, who would've thought it'd sound so good?

Talking Heads' "This Must Be The Place" is so beautiful in its simplicity and versatility that it's pretty difficult to do a poor cover of it. Still, special mention should be given to Kishi Bashi's incredible string-quartet version of the classic song

To bring it all back around - another White Stripes cover! While Anderson Paak's EP Cover Art is filled entirely with covers, my personal favorite is the way he morphs Seven Nation Army into a soulful, funky delight

Of Montreal have an absolutely rockin' cover of White Stripe's Fell In Love With A Girl - they kicked up the punchy punky nature in a way that was totally unexpected at the time (remember, this was before Aureate Gloom showed us Kevin Barnes had some garage in him!)

here's James Blake's jawdropping take on "Sound Of Silence". Though very stylistically different, Blake still manages to capture the solemn melancholic tone perfectly without going overboard with it - I won't call out anyone in specific but there are some not-so-great covers of this song that just leave me feeling disturbed ;)

CHVRCHES covered Arctic Monkey's "Do I Wanna Know?" for Like A Version, and while I could totally see some disliking it, I think it's fantastic - covers that can be so stylistically different from the original while still evoking the same feelings and moods are totally my thing, and CHVRCHES wonderfully utilize their synth-pop leanings to capture the original song's longing and foolish hope for something more

who would've though renowned mandolin player Chris Thile would be the one indie rocker brave enough to lead a band on a cover of LCD Soundsystem's Dance Yrself Clean? Furthermore, who would've thought it'd sound so good?

Talking Heads' "This Must Be The Place" is so beautiful in its simplicity and versatility that it's pretty difficult to do a poor cover of it. Still, special mention should be given to Kishi Bashi's incredible string-quartet version of the classic song

To bring it all back around - another White Stripes cover! While Anderson Paak's EP Cover Art is filled entirely with covers, my personal favorite is the way he morphs Seven Nation Army into a soulful, funky delight

Wow. These are great.

This is a pretty radical reinterpretation of Leonard Cohen's 'Tower of Song' courtesy of The Jesus and Mary Chain. They give it a Velvet Underground-esque guitar overhaul, and select the absolute coolest verses from the original. Although relatively controlled guitar wise for a JAMC track, it is still sneaky loud.

@Aron reminded me of two other covers by The Jesus And Mary Chain that are faves.

These two make that Tower Of Song cover sound like The New Christy Minstrels.

Out cramping The Cramps...

Probably a little different than Willie Dixon imagined it...

A few years back (for RSD), Tears For Fears released an EP of cover songs ... Arcade Fire, Hot Chip, and this one by Animal Collective. I'm not a huge AC fan so I actually like this version better than the original.

This is another one I know I posted on the old forum. Personally, I like this version better than the original from Frank Ocean. They really do make this sound like it was an Afghan Whigs song all along. Greg Dulli loves covering R&B/soul tunes. Some work better than others. Their take on 'Can't Get Enough Of Your Love' from the "Beautiful Girls" soundtrack is also really good.

All of these are things I didn't know about prior to this thread and am now in love with

though his cover of Hallelujah is much more well known, this is actually my favorite of all of Buckley’s covers

Do you know this version? Jeff was basically woken up by a radio DJ and asked to choose a song and he sang this with the band in the studio. Crazy

Do you know this version? Jeff was basically woken up by a radio DJ and asked to choose a song and he sang this with the band in the studio. Crazy

this was actually the first version I had heard, but usually listen to the live one because the quality is better. but it’s insane how powerful his voice is even through the phone

Here's a few choice one's from The Bridge - A Tribute To Neil Young...

Nick Cave

Victoria Williams

Sonic Youth

And my personal favorite from that album, Flaming Lips - After the Gold Rush

Other favorites:

My Morning Jacket - Ride Like the Wind (only played once I think)

Gillian Welch & David Rawlings doing a lovely version of Radiohead/Black Star

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8VXBMjOZXI

Back