Board Games and Tabletop!

Wanted to get some input from some board game people for some suggestions. Me and my wife are looking for some more board games to play. Something good for 4 players. Our favorites so far (besides standards like Parchisi) are Ticket to Ride and Pandemic. What is a similar vein to that might be worth checking out?

Wanted to get some input from some board game people for some suggestions. Me and my wife are looking for some more board games to play. Something good for 4 players. Our favorites so far (besides standards like Parchisi) are Ticket to Ride and Pandemic. What is a similar vein to that might be worth checking out?
if you’re into horror themes at all, my wife and I really enjoy Horrified. It’s tame, old school horror - nothing intense. I picked up Wingspan and Parks for my wife for Christmas. While I don’t have any direct experience with either, they both are really well reviewed and recommended in that light/medium weight game wheelhouse. I’ll report back in a month or so after we’ve had a chance to play them!

if you’re into horror themes at all, my wife and I really enjoy Horrified. It’s tame, old school horror - nothing intense. I picked up Wingspan and Parks for my wife for Christmas. While I don’t have any direct experience with either, they both are really well reviewed and recommended in that light/medium weight game wheelhouse. I’ll report back in a month or so after we’ve had a chance to play them!

Definitely don't think my wife would be into a horror game. I'll check out the other 2.

Fairly easy to learn and play games that I enjoy:

Settlers of Catan
Lost Cities
Flash Point
The Forbidden games (Desert, Island, I think there's a new one)
Five Tribes
Lords of Waterdeep
Sagrada
Tokaido
Takenoko

Some deck builders that I love that are different than what you've played:

Dominion
Ascension
Hero/Star Realms

I still haven't played Wingspan, but I have Parks, only played it once, but I enjoyed it.

I recently kinda got into Magic the Gathering... Only not really. I hate brewing (building and optimizing your own deck) so I bought a Challenge deck and some Jumpstart decks.

Jumpstart is SUPER fun, it's like Smash up, you take two packs, mix them together and you have a 40 card deck to play against two other smashed up packs. A coworker and I bought a bunch of packs so we can mix and match them all and it's been fun.

Fairly easy to learn and play games that I enjoy:

Settlers of Catan
Lost Cities
Flash Point
The Forbidden games (Desert, Island, I think there's a new one)
Five Tribes
Lords of Waterdeep
Sagrada
Tokaido
Takenoko

Some deck builders that I love that are different than what you've played:

Dominion
Ascension
Hero/Star Realms

I still haven't played Wingspan, but I have Parks, only played it once, but I enjoyed it.
Wingspan is very good- the first round or two can be a little tough until all the mechanics click, but once you grok it it's pretty smooth sailing. And the art/components are lovely.

I second Catan (not my personal favorite, but absolutely a gateway game), Five Tribes (a perennial favorite), Tokaido, and Lords of Waterdeep. You'll get the most enjoyment from Waterdeep if you have a passing familiarity with the D&D Forgotten Realms setting but it works with or without.

Dominion is an all-timer, imo, and has a host of worthwhile expansions.

Terraforming Mars is a bit beefier, but great fun and not too heavy.

I might recommend Power Grid, which gets a bit mathy but is mechanically elegant and very enjoyable.

I'd also recommend Betrayal Legacy, which is a real blast with four people; though it's technically a horror game, it's much more of a PG-13 ghost story deal, and has a thoroughly entertaining campaign.

Wingspan looks pretty cool. Would it be too complicated for 4 adults to figure out on a board games/beer drinking evening?

Played the Waterdeep Skullport expansion for the first time over tabletop simulator this weekend and thought it added a lot to the game. We love it even though none of us are familiar with the D&D of it all.

I'll echo Dominion is great and is easy to pick up

Even easier and a quick play for a few rounds during beers is Splendor

One of our favorite to do over tabletop simulator is Carcassone

Played the Waterdeep Skullport expansion for the first time over tabletop simulator this weekend and thought it added a lot to the game. We love it even though none of us are familiar with the D&D of it all.

I think I like Splendor but I always feel like there's something missing when I play it. Like it's not a full game.

I think I like Splendor but I always feel like there's something missing when I play it. Like it's not a full game.
Yeah when someone wins it always feels like it happens to quickly, but it's become our game for when we have someone new because it's easy to understand and it moves fast so you can play a few rounds after they pick it up

Yes to Splendor and Carcassonne!

And yeah, Skullport/Undermountain are great expansions. They make the game a lot longer, but richer.

Wingspan is a really good game.
Some easier games that my wife and I enjoy are:
7 Wonders
Azul
The Isle of Cats
Modern Art
Sushi Go
King of Tokyo
Codenames
Hardback
5 Minute Mystery

Wingspan is a really good game.

Some easier games that my wife and I enjoy are:
7 Wonders
Azul
The Isle of Cats
Modern Art
Sushi Go
King of Tokyo
Codenames
Hardback
5 Minute Mystery

Yeah, Wingspan is ace. Hard to get hold of at the moment but they're printing a second edition that is out really soon.

I've got Sushi Go party, it's a great game, isn't it. I've played Codenames before and that's also really good.

I'd recommend Century Spice Road as an easy game to pick up. It's really fun too.

I recently got myself Muffin Time and Exploding Kittens. Not played them yet, but I've heard lots of good things about both. Will get them out when the family come over for Christmas.

Wingspan looks pretty cool. Would it be too complicated for 4 adults to figure out on a board games/beer drinking evening?

There's a "quick start" module that comes with it - basically the first 2-3 turns are pre-programmed for each of 4 players to get them through the mechanics. Helped a lot on our first play.

Back