Board Games and Tabletop!

Max Sterling

We had a thread like this before, we can have one again! I'm a huge collector/casual player of board games and anything played across a table, really. I run a Board Games group at my office, play in Keyforge organized play when I get the chance, play Gloomhaven every Monday with a static group, and I'm in a D&D campaign that tries to meet once a week but actually ends up more like once or twice a month.

As mentioned, I've really gotten into Keyforge as of late. I met with a group at a local shop and made fast friends. If you haven't heard of Keyforge, or just don't know anything about it, it's made by one of the creators of Magic the Gathering. Instead of buying individual card packs and optimizing a deck, in Keyforge you buy a 36 card deck, and that's it, you're not allowed to change the cards in it. Every deck is randomized so no two are exactly alike and they all have a unique name. It's in it's second generation and it's fairly balanced. I enjoy the ease of entry, though I do admit the strategy eludes me.

One cool thing I recently got was a Robotech RP manual. I get my user name from Robotech/Macross, and it's one of my favourite Animes of all time. It's pretty rad.

Last few Board games I've played are:

Duelosaur Island - It's a two player adaptation of Dinosaur Island. It was neat, but it took a very long time to play for some reason. A two player game shouldn't take two and a half hours.

Flash Point - Really cool game about putting out fires and saving people and pets. I liked the cooperative nature of it.

Root - Amazing game. the asymmetry is really interesting. I've played it twice as two different factions and it was like playing a completely different game with reasonable familiarity.

Call to Adventure - I love treating this game like a story builder. Yeah, you can get the cards that get you the most points, but do they fit into your characters narrative? Both times I've played this it was a lot of fun and everyone playing got into it, too.

Dice Throne - I have all the expansions for this one and it's a fun dice battle game. Surprisingly balanced for an elimination style game. I've never seen anyone go out immeadiatly and have to watch others play like in some elimination games.

Quiddler - This game is my parents jam. It's like Scrabble Rummy and it's very fun if you're into word games, which I am. Whenever we go over there, this is what we play.

Lemme know what you're into!

Oh, and here's my Board Game Collection... I have so many I need to play -_-

Kickstarting board games is another addiction I dont need, but I cant stop myself. I'm pretty excited for the Root expansion coming out this fall

In comparison to the above chat I’m very much an uber-novice when it comes to board games. But I really enjoy them. I’ve got (and love) Catan, and also Carcassonne.

My wife and I have a modest collection that we started prior to having a baby in an attempt to do something better than watch television EVERY night. Given that it's almost always just the two of us, we sought out games that were suited to, or at least played well, with two people. Our favorites have been Pandemic, Splendor, Forbidden Island, Ticket to Ride, and Patchwork. In an effort to re-kindle our old habits (and to have something fun for some camping trips we have planned this summer), I just heard about and ordered this:

We are both Jaws fanatics, so I hope the game lives up to my expectations!

My wife and I have a modest collection that we started prior to having a baby in an attempt to do something better than watch television EVERY night. Given that it's almost always just the two of us, we sought out games that were suited to, or at least played well, with two people. Our favorites have been Pandemic, Splendor, Forbidden Island, Ticket to Ride, and Patchwork. In an effort to re-kindle our old habits (and to have something fun for some camping trips we have planned this summer), I just heard about and ordered this:

View attachment 8471

I'm always looking for good two player games, as well. Summoner Wars, Patchwork, Star/Hero Realms, are some of our favourites. I even taught my wife how to play Keyforge, she enjoyed it.

We played this with a group of friends this weekend, it was kind of awful. Took forever to set up, the instructions were unclear, and there were to many things going on. It was a a beautiful game and might be more fun after playing a few times but I kind of never want to play it a second time.
I'm not familiar with this particular game, but I empathize with the sentiment. We are just not into it enough to want the super heavy/complex multiple hour long endeavors. I get that this is some people's bag, but it is DEFINITELY not ours!

I enjoy heavy complicated games like I do a night of drinking with friends. I won't do it every week, but it's always a good time.

Some games have serious setup, Gloomhaven for instance, but organization solutions and familiarity help with that.

One game I never got the hang of setting up was Arkham Horror. This is not my picture, but so you get an idea, this is with all expansions.

pic1254050.jpg

View attachment 8471

It gets brutal when me and my wife play Ticket to Ride.

I enjoy heavy complicated games like I do a night of drinking with friends. I won't do it every week, but it's always a good time.

Some games have serious setup, Gloomhaven for instance, but organization solutions and familiarity help with that.

One game I never got the hang of setting up was Arkham Horror. This is not my picture, but so you get an idea, this is with all expansions.

pic1254050.jpg
Yeah, I mean I guess if I had a group of friends this into it I may consider trying it once in a while. But I don't know those people, nor do I tend to have the time right now! I am intrigued though.

Went to the Southern Fried Gaming Expo in Atlanta today. It was mostly about video games, old consoles, and pinball machines galore, but they also had a tabletop gaming space and tournaments going. I played in a Keyforge tournament, did okay.

IMG_20190713_155715.jpg
IMG_20190713_160257.jpg

I also picked up Catacombs and an expansion on sale. Catacombs is a dexterity game I've been wanting. I like getting to flick things and the theme is right up my alley.

And also, I didn't buy this... but I almost did...

IMG_20190713_171454.jpg
IMG_20190713_171500.jpg

Still loving Gloomhaven and 7th Continent. Have a date with some friends today to continue our Betrayal Legacy campaign.
I've heard 7th Continent copies may be going up for sale on their online store, extras that they've ordered over the Kickstarter campaigns. I may finally pick up a copy if I get lucky enough to hear about it before they're all gone.

Back