Black Lives Matter

It was great to give Mike the platform and room to speak so hopefully someone who wouldn't normally do so will hear what he is saying, but the best thing I can say about Skip Bayless is that he isn't Colin Cowherd.

Skip is paired with Shannon Sharpe for a reason, just as he was paired with Stephen A. "the weeeeeeeeeed" Smith for a reason. How the media, and sports in particular, leverages race in America to present false drama in the 24 hour news cycle is part of the problem.

I am LOVING seeing schools cut ties with police departments. Portland Public Schools just announced the end of SROs and regular police presence at schools. And people think protests don't work.

Yep - Minneapolis SD did the same. Apparently the city councils in the Twin Cities are putting forth disbanding the police departments, whatever that means. That, of course, is bringing people out of the woodwork.

I am LOVING seeing schools cut ties with police departments. Portland Public Schools just announced the end of SROs and regular police presence at schools. And people think protests don't work.
School Resource Officers are such a relic of the panicked post-Columbine response. 99% of the time they have nothing to do but intimidate the student body.
Cue the armed teacher advocates rushing to fill that vacuum in 3...2...
Who else is gonna protect the school children form the bears? Are You gonna do it Mr. Indy!?!!

This is blocks from where I live. People were reporting this group hours ago and were blown off by the police. They just beat up the reporter minutes ago if you follow the thread.

Hearsay around the neighborhood is that both the police and this group thought a busload of ANTIFA were coming :rolleyes:

Cops falling for this obviously phony shit just shows how plugged in they are to alt-right circles.

Does anyone have any good resources that give a good picture of the amount of money police pay out in civil settlements each year? and Does anyone know the flow of money from taxpayer, to insurance, to settlement?

Hearsay around the neighborhood is that both the police and this group thought a busload of ANTIFA were coming :rolleyes:

Cops falling for this obviously phony shit just shows how plugged in they are to alt-right circles.
You should look up Adam Wren's recent tweets about Carmel, IN (rich suburb of Indianapolis).

The mayor announced he was considering SUING Minneapolis for the extra costs incurred by Carmel due to the unrest created by Minneapolis cops, citing a broken window in a Kohl's department store. There was such severe and immediate backlash that the mayor immediately walked it back, and claimed he had been misunderstood anyway. He proceeded to make lots of boneheaded statements about the state of race relations in Carmel (we all know rich white suburbs are renowned for their diversity and tolerance).

The next day Carmel initiated an indefinite curfew because of "credible threats of violence" being leveled at the town. Dude literally created danger out of thin air. Wren's tweets showing the mean streets of Carmel during curfew are very funny (spoiler: there's not a single person out of doors anywhere whatsoever).

School Resource Officers are such a relic of the panicked post-Columbine response. 99% of the time they have nothing to do but intimidate the student body.

Who else is gonna protect the school children form the bears? Are You gonna do it Mr. Indy!?!!

I've worked at schools that have SROs. At their best its another adult that kids with problems can have positive interactions with. They are helpful with lock downs, translating the school system and law enforcement interactions. They also become a big deal once the kids reach puberty and sexual harassment and assault become more of a problem. They best ones understand that they aren't supposed to operate like police on the street.

I had a conversation with my neighbor about this very thing. He has buddies on the force that were tracking "Antifa" buses. I mean come on people how gullible can you get. There was just a protest of hundreds of HS and college kids. Oh the National Guard stood around watching them.

You should look up Adam Wren's recent tweets about Carmel, IN (rich suburb of Indianapolis).

The mayor announced he was considering SUING Minneapolis for the extra costs incurred by Carmel due to the unrest created by Minneapolis cops, citing a broken window in a Kohl's department store. There was such severe and immediate backlash that the mayor immediately walked it back, and claimed he had been misunderstood anyway. He proceeded to make lots of boneheaded statements about the state of race relations in Carmel (we all know rich white suburbs are renowned for their diversity and tolerance).

The next day Carmel initiated an indefinite curfew because of "credible threats of violence" being leveled at the town. Dude literally created danger out of thin air. Wren's tweets showing the mean streets of Carmel during curfew are very funny (spoiler: there's not a single person out of doors anywhere whatsoever).

Just took a look. Seems to me like the bear protester patrol worked like a charm.

One of Rick Bayless' books taught me how to cook, and seems to be just an all around wonderful human.

Skip Bayless is an empty husk of a person. Even if he says something I agree with he's not worth listening to.
TIL Rick Bayless is Skip's brother...also Skip (like Stephen A) plays a character on TV. It's why both of them get paid a lot because they both say scorching hot takes which causes people to talk about them and post about them. That video is worth watching.

My high school never had any security or police officer up until my Junior year which was 2008~. I think it was because there were starting to be more school shootings and everyone got concerned. Could have been in the wake of the Virginia Tech school shooting too, I don't remember. It never felt like it was needed after they had them.

TIL Rick Bayless is Skip's brother...also Skip (like Stephen A) plays a character on TV. It's why both of them get paid a lot because they both say scorching hot takes which causes people to talk about them and post about them. That video is worth watching.
Skip is also estranged from the rest of his family, which seem like good people. Take that for what it's worth.

But this is about BLM not stupid ass Skip Bayless.

Skip is also estranged from the rest of his family, which seem like good people. Take that for what it's worth.

But this is about BLM not stupid ass Skip Bayless.
Rick and Skip both said they don't talk much because they don't share much in common and never did. I wouldn't let that define a person, let alone dismiss watching a video with important information in it because ya don't like the guy's hot takes on sports...but I'm probably just reading into it more than what you really meant. I'm no fan of Skip either really but I do commend him for bringing Mike on and letting him speak and supporting him.

Here's the video/experiment that Killer Mike and Skip refer to for those who want to watch it.

Rick and Skip both said they don't talk much because they don't share much in common and never did. I wouldn't let that define a person, let alone dismiss watching a video with important information in it because ya don't like the guy's hot takes on sports...but I'm probably just reading into it more than what you really meant. I'm no fan of Skip either really but I do commend him for bringing Mike on and letting him speak and supporting him.

Here's the video/experiment that Killer Mike and Skip refer to for those who want to watch it.

Jane Elliot came and spoke at the university I teach at two years ago and she's just as fiery as ever.

Re SROs:

Sorry for the 'mommy story' here but when I was in school there weren't SROs so while I recognize some potential for postitive outcomes or some theoretical need, but is there evidence that there are positive outcome or need and who is providing that research/evidence.

A bigger thing that seems weird to me, beyond how black students are treated / policed by SROs in schools, is the funding. School boards pay for these services to the organization / company that is providing SROs. In the case where local police forces are used are taxpayers paying double for the police time? - just thinking out loud here.

Does anyone have any good resources that give a good picture of the amount of money police pay out in civil settlements each year? and Does anyone know the flow of money from taxpayer, to insurance, to settlement?
Would be curious to know this as well. I did see Justin Amash was proposing a bill to let people sue individual cops instead of just the department. Have also seen people floating the idea of cops needing to have insurance so that if one of them is involved in any sort of illegal activity or abuse, the whole departments' premiums would go up but I truly doubt that would lead to police departments policing themselves...would probably just lead to more cover ups...

Back