Black Lives Matter

Rick and Skip both said they don't talk much because they don't share much in common and never did. I wouldn't let that define a person, let alone dismiss watching a video with important information in it because ya don't like the guy's hot takes on sports...but I'm probably just reading into it more than what you really meant. I'm no fan of Skip either really but I do commend him for bringing Mike on and letting him speak and supporting him.

Here's the video/experiment that Killer Mike and Skip refer to for those who want to watch it.

I'm pretty sure Skip isn't the person who decided to bring on Killer Mike. Regardless, it isn't about defining a person. It's about how that person is used and uses there time and their position to promote ideas and perspectives.

Skip, regardless of his personal beliefs, is on that show to be the 'white voice' and the sports media set it up that way. Skip willingly complies with that role whether it is an act or not. That's his prerogative but let's not pretend like it's some authentic representation of anything. If you're taking Skip, or Max Kelelrman, or any other one of these sports opinion personality shows at face value you're missing the point.

My wife just texted me that her hospital did something they called 'White Coats for Black Lives.' Her and her coworkers went outside and knelt in silence for 8 minutes and 46 seconds for George Floyd. She got pretty emotional during it all, said it was so sad to her how long that 8+ minutes felt.

My wife just texted me that her hospital did something they called 'White Coats for Black Lives.' Her and her coworkers went outside and knelt in silence for 8 minutes and 46 seconds for George Floyd. She got pretty emotional during it all, said it was so sad to her how long that 8+ minutes felt.
We went to a protest in Brooklyn tuesday night near our apartment and there must have been north of 1,000 people there. The organizers had the crowd kneel for 8 minutes and 46 seconds as well and it felt like an eternity.

I'll break this one into 2 3 parts.

Take @gouis post how ever ya like. I don’t think he was being dismissive to the clip or Killer Mike or even what Skip is saying in the clip. In the sports world most regard Skip Bayless as an asshole that spews asinine hot takes in exchange for clicks and ratings. Thus I think it was more of joke directed toward Skip than anything more. That being said his brother is a fucking awesome chef and makes phenomenal Mexican Food.
One of his Rick Bayless' books taught me how to cook, and seems to be just an all around wonderful human.

Skip Bayless is an empty husk of a person. Even if he says something I agree with he's not worth listening to.

I know who Skip Bayless is. Skip Bayless didn't post this video. I did. Telling me to "take it however I like" is even more dismissive than the original comment.

Here's the issue for me with this -- as it relates to the video -- I don't have to post shit in this thread. And I've actually had mixed feelings and reservations about posting in here for a multitude of reasons; one being that I don't know that anyone wants me to, anyway. This is incredibly layered. But, in this video, Mike emphasizes the need for white people to be the ones to help educate other white people. And that's what @Teeeee is offering to help do here -- or, at least, help bring in materials that have benefited her and that she believes in. And... you know what? It's fucking tiring. Posting this comment right now, even this is really fucking tiring. Because, it's like a trap and, even in posting this, I'm still doing what I'm saying I shouldn't do, or shouldn't have to do. I'm in a position where I'm forced to explain shit again.

Anything that I post in here is because I hope that it will be of some benefit to someone else. There's a lot more that I will type, but right there is the key. I don't have to, it's exhausting, I'm taking a risk by doing it because I believe in its benefit to others, the response was dismissive. The further responses weren't validating of how I felt, but defending the intention. Intentions don't mean much when what we're discussing is the results and how they are manifested. Systemic racism is full of good intentions and it's still damaging., built on white supremacy, and the ability to dismiss or embrace whatever you choose to at will, without the acknowledgment that others don't necessarily have that same benefit. Rather than acknowledge others and the effects on them, people in all situations -- especially, on the internet -- want to make sure that their intentions are acknowledged first, if not ONLY.

As for choosing to contribute, the one thing that makes me feel it's a good idea is when it helps someone like @Tyr in a way that it's helped me, because I see a kinship in that. But, to speak on mixed identity, you already don't really know what spaces to be in and this scenario only amplifies that. I can't speak for "black" people, just like I can't speak to white presenting black people. But these issues don't just come from a cultural connection, but often a lack of cultural connection and, most centrally, how we appear to others and are treated as a result of that. I look like I do and am treated how I am accordingly. I'm put in oppressive situations. I'm not sure if I posted this in here, or in a private message with someone, but even walking into a store is a situation where I have to reach out my palm for a pitbull to sniff it and hope my scent is enough to save me, knowing that my arm could be ripped off just as easily. Smile so they know you're safe Hands out of pockets, so they can't say you're stealing. The way so many people feel stepping outside during a pandemic, is how a lot of us feel all the time.

So, there's this new list circulating of 10 things to do as a white person to help that aren't for optics. It's anti-performative wokism and it's good on its face. That being said, one step in there is about checking on friends of color and a lot of people are hitting up those friends and asking to be taught even in that outreach. You don't need to crawl up to us -- and I say "us", because I'm getting these, too. And real quick, I want to be expressly clear in this that anyone who has hit me up on this forum is NOT who I am referring to. In fact, I'm considering bouncing deciding to bounce from this thread altogether and open the door for anyone to message me, directly, if they want to. I welcome discussion. BUT, my point is that, it's not difficult to reach out to someone and just tell them that you hope they're dong alright and to let you know if they need anything. That's what that step is about. It's about THEM and not about YOU. The "I just wanted to talk to you about all of this" and "What can we do? How do we help?" shit is still asking for instruction and puts folks on the spot to speak for everyone, which they can't do. It might seem similar, but it's the exact opposite. In the first example, the person reaching out is offering something. In the second, they are asking for something. They want you to pull your stories out, along with any trauma connected to them, and they want you to teach them about it. They want to see your work and some just want redemption and a sign off. They want their parking validated. I was having a conversation with someone who messaged me the other day and I was cool with that, but she didn't want a "conversation." She wanted to keep reiterating how she "saw me" and "feels me" and she's sorry, but she feels like I "speak for" her. She even told me that I should be a teacher. I told her that I don't what to be a fucking teacher.

But here's the conflict. White people want spaces to feel like they can speak openly and not feel judged or embarrassed, while exploring this stuff. They should have that. I also don't need to tell any of you that you CAN have that, because that goes without saying. That being said, that's also an easy catch 22, because that shit can devolve incredibly easily into an aimless circle jerk. I was in one of these discussion groups once, because I knew it would help a friend of mine that started it who had a black son. My son looks white, but my friend is blond and her son looks like Danny Brown. In my mind, she had more of a right to her voice in particular discussions, than I had because I'm not afraid for my son's life and she's terrified. BUT me being there as a voice was something people might listen to, when hers might not carry as much weight, even though it's heavy on her mind all the time. That's what we assumed, anyway. There was a lot of blaming Trump in there, which is a deflection away from their own self analysis -- trust me, racism didn't just appear out of thin air when he took office -- but there was also one woman who constantly let us know that she "did the work" and she knows. The woman who called me reverse racist yesterday did something similar. They discount my voice and experiences and are defensive if I even appear to challenge the idea that they understand my own experiences more than I do. Whitesplaining isn't wokism. And my friend continued to tell her that "Chris isn't white" but she didn't care. She had to be checked not to ever challenge the voice of any person of color on their experiences in these situations and spaces. She eventually left as the victim, not unlike a student in Jane Elliot's experiment.

I realized that group wasn't about learning anything, or even evolving. It was a place for white people to have other white people make them feel better about themselves. I'm not saying that's what this space is, but I do get the feeling that this is a space for white people. And I was already questioning if, when I post something, it isn't skipped over to get "back on topic." So... I'm gonna let you have this.

Fortunately, there are people like @Teeeee in here, who, from what I've seen, feel to me as if they really have done "the work" to a point where that work has made them realize the opposite of what those who simply claim to have done it and wear that as a badge come away with. Basically, the knowledge that it's not about her. You don't get a diploma at the end that tells you you're woke. And I'll tell you, white guilt is powerful and a lot of people -- not, necessarily, in here, but in general -- seem like they're looking for a carbon offset to racism. As if, if they do enough shit and check off their scavenger hunt and fill their punch card, then they get to scream the N-word once, or laugh at one racist joke. "It's cool guys. I did the work. Here's my card. One free N-word. I've really been saving up for this. Big day. Big day."

Last edited:
PART 2

I know there's a lot to unpack with all of this and I don't know if my presence is beneficial or not. My guess is that it is NOT; at least, as far as particular aims are concerned. On one hand, a group of white people discussing what they believe people of color must feel or what it must be like and analyzing us like an alien autopsy is not only cringe-inducing to me, but also the root of all of the problems in the first place. This deals with human nature, as much as anything exclusively racial, because those who are sincere will listen and those with egos who don't will always speak. So, if that one woman who was touting her "work" over my experience wasn't checked, a lot of people would have looked to her as the expert and been taken down a very dangerous path of good intentions. Their humility and her hubris is a dangerous combination.

So... as far as intentions, the black boxes on Tuesday were about intentions and a lot of people pull the "don't push allies away" card, when I questioned if it was actually hurting the cause more than helping. They want me to know that the gesture means something. The question is to who? To who does it means something? I could literally show people that when they posted it a child dies and some of them would still stand behind their intentions. I'm talking effects and results, and those who are real about shit will just respond with, "Sorry. I see what you're saying and I didn't mean to do that." and then try to be aware enough to fix it. A lot of people removed their hashtags to help. Again, they don't know what to do. It's confusing. So, I'm gonna leave this thread, and I'm going to leave with this: if you don't know what to do, listening is a good start. A lot of us have been telling you. And the reason that I said this is a trap is because, since we've been speaking forever with no one listening, it can seems very positive, if not exciting, that people are listening now. So, while it isn't our responsibility, when someone asks, there is a compulsion to want to help and want to explain and be willing to. When you put that out there and do that and it's dismissed.. fuck it. Why waste the fucking energy?

As far as this Skip Bayless shit goes, the intention might be cheeky, but it's not cheeky to me. It's something I tried to contribute and the response was literally, "no need to watch this. It's guaranteed to be a bad take and a waste of time." And what's sure to follow is what always follows, an explanation of intention, with no acknowledgment of the results. And that's why I'm out, because it's not productive. Nobody in here wants to feel lectured by my presence, but, anyone in here who feels lost and continues down this path to understanding in this area, will ultimately discover that the response of feeling lectured or defensive, is a HUGE component to this.

As minorities, we know we are the minority. And just like I'm forced to spend my life making sure that other people are comfortable with my existence around them, they are aware that, because of that established dynamic, they don't ever really have to feel like they are required to do the same for me. An excuse for why you do something, is nothing more than an excuse for why you should have been able to do it and why you should be able to continue. It's a lot different than, "Sorry. I was making a bad joke about Skip Bayless, because I don't like the guy, but I didn't mean to dismiss your post. I checked it out and it's actually really informative stuff others might find value in." Other people can benefit from what's in there and this thread isn't like others... or, maybe it is. I'm not the one who made it, after all, so I can't speak to its intentions. I can, however, speak on the fact that, as a minority, once the white cavalry starts showing up to defend something, just because I express how something struck me negatively -- basically, defending the right to reject awareness, or consideration -- that shit goes Deliverance vibes really quick, and I'm hopping the fuck out.

On the VMP forum there was once a situation where someone mentioned how the term "people of color" wasn't one that they particularly enjoyed. I didn't want to leave them hanging, when I feel the same way, so I let them know that I wasn't a big fan of the term, either. Right then, @Tillman chimed in to state that he didn't mean any disrespect by using it, but he didn't know what term was best, and asked if there was something better. There was no argument. I told him that it's a difficult situation and most of us don't really know either. It might be the best we've got. I still really appreciate that and remember. I knew the intention was good and I appreciated him even giving a shit. We resolved it before there was anything to even resolve. It was a fruitful conversation among human beings. I can't remember who came in next, but they decided to let all the black and brown people know that it's an agreed upon term to use and they had several articles written by white intellectuals and history to prove it. Someone just couldn't help themselves and NEEDED their voice to be in a conversation. I asked them not to resurrect an evil zombie that was already put down, but our feelings and voices always take a back seat and were drown out. They wouldn't let it go. More and more people decided to discuss us around us, to speak with us in that space, but not acknowledge our actual feelings or presence. They stared around trying to crack a riddle, while we were telling them the answer. We were told that the conversation deserved to continue. It was a ROTM guess thread.

And that's what I realize now in just typing that. This is a white space. It's a space for you and you have a right to that. And so, in the end, I'm actually apologizing... again. But, sincerely. I'm not trying to come lecture you in your space, but here's where I lay out my intention -- and I'm sure that you can understand my confusion -- but I mistakenly thought I saw a place for brown voices, so I wandered in.

Last edited:
Oops. Part 3

That old VMP thread (d)evolved into a bunch of white people demanding their right to continue a conversation about a topic that I didn't want to have. I used the forum as a way to escape being overwhelmed with racism and Michael Brown and all that shit that I got everywhere else all day every day, at the time. Again, there is duality. In another thread in here, someone recently made the case that they just wanted to talk about records, but the difference is that they wanted to suffocate affected voices, rather than forcing affected voices to listen, if not speak -- it was the opposite. The excuse to continue with the conversation on that old VMP thread is that people wanted to learn. It was an opportunity for education, so it should be allowed to continue, regardless of how much black and brown voices spoke up of the trauma associated with that conversation and how they didn't want it to. White people wanted to learn. It's no different than telling a sexual assault victim that other people have the right to discuss their trauma and victimization, and to drag them back through it, because they wanted to learn. It's a good opportunity for THEM. They wanted to discuss. THEY. WANTED. a moment for education. But, they also get to enter into that conversation and leave at will. We don't.

They also have the numbers and they also have other well intentioned white people speaking up for them, explaining shit away for them, joining the mob of intention. I'm not an idiot. I understand the joke. I understand who Skip Bayless is. I also understand the results of that joke on how it felt toward me, as well as how it could have a broader effect on whether or not someone else would now view my post as something worth looking into, or not. This isn't about challenging someone else. This is about daring to challenge someone else choosing to challenge the vailidity of what I tried to offer. For those who choose not to watch it, Killer Mike explains that one reason white people should be teaching each other is because other white people are more likely to listen to them and consider what they're saying. Their voice carries more weight. It all comes full circle.

Rick and Skip both said they don't talk much because they don't share much in common and never did. I wouldn't let that define a person, let alone dismiss watching a video with important information in it because ya don't like the guy's hot takes on sports...but I'm probably just reading into it more than what you really meant. I'm no fan of Skip either really but I do commend him for bringing Mike on and letting him speak and supporting him.

Here's the video/experiment that Killer Mike and Skip refer to for those who want to watch it.

Thanks, MIke.

I don't really think there's a lot more that I could really add to the topic of race beyond what I've already posted here anyway -- the rest is all experiences and nuance -- so good luck to you folks. You should feel good about making the efforts that you do. Thanks to @gouis for making this thread in the first place and to @Teeeee for what she's trying to do. @Tyr, if you ever feel like you want to discuss the weird murky limbo of our existence, feel free to message me. It's important to recognize that you aren't fragments of anything. You are powerful in your uniqueness and the uniqueness of your experience. One of one, in that regard. The sooner that we're able to recognize and embrace that reality, the better we are for it.

I also want to be clear that I'm not trying to martyr myself, as if I feel disrespected and I'm leaving now, because of that, or even imply that I'm leaving because I don't feel like anyone wants to hear what I have to say, so that anyone tries to convince me they do or I should stay. I really just want to leave. I don't want to be in here, anymore. There's no need to announce that, I know, but this isn't about wanting anyone else to feel guilty of anything or like they are supposed to do anything. This is all supposed to be about awareness. I'm posting this simply to highlight that, because our experiences are so different, there's a lot that you might not be aware of. Whether you care or can be receptive of that and to what degree... I don't know. I guess, take it however ya like.

Oops. Part 3

That old VMP thread (d)evolved into a bunch of white people demanding their right to continue a conversation about a topic that I didn't want to have. I used the forum as a way to escape being overwhelmed with racism and Michael Brown and all that shit that I got everywhere else all day every day, at the time. Again, there is duality. In another thread in here, someone recently made the case that they just wanted to talk about records, but the difference is that they wanted to suffocate affected voices, rather than forcing affected voices to listen, if not speak -- it was the opposite. The excuse to continue with the conversation on that old VMP thread is that people wanted to learn. It was an opportunity for education, so it should be allowed to continue, regardless of how much black and brown voices spoke up of the trauma associated with that conversation and how they didn't want it to. White people wanted to learn. It's no different than telling a sexual assault victim that other people have the right to discuss their trauma and victimization, and to drag them back through it, because they wanted to learn. It's a good opportunity for THEM. They wanted to discuss. THEY. WANTED. a moment for education. But, they also get to enter into that conversation and leave at will. We don't.

They also have the numbers and they also have other well intentioned white people speaking up for them, explaining shit away for them, joining the mob of intention. I'm not an idiot. I understand the joke. I understand who Skip Bayless is. I also understand the results of that joke on how it felt toward me, as well as how it could have a broader effect on whether or not someone else would now view my post as something worth looking into, or not. This isn't about challenging someone else. This is about daring to challenge someone else choosing to challenge the vailidity of what I tried to offer. For those who choose not to watch it, Killer Mike explains that one reason white people should be teaching each other is because other white people are more likely to listen to them and consider what they're saying. Their voice carries more weight. It all comes full circle.

Thanks, MIke.

I don't really think there's a lot more that I could really add to the topic of race beyond what I've already posted here anyway -- the rest is all experiences and nuance -- so good luck to you folks. You should feel good about making the efforts that you do. Thanks to @gouis for making this thread in the first place and to @Teeeee for what she's trying to do. @Tyr, if you ever feel like you want to discuss the weird murky limbo of our existence, feel free to message me. It's important to recognize that you aren't fragments of anything. You are powerful in your uniqueness and the uniqueness of your experience. One of one, in that regard. The sooner that we're able to recognize and embrace that reality, the better we are for it.

I also want to be clear that I'm not trying to martyr myself, as if I feel disrespected and I'm leaving now, because of that, or even imply that I'm leaving because I don't feel like anyone wants to hear what I have to say, so that anyone tries to convince me they do or I should stay. I really just want to leave. I don't want to be in here, anymore. There's no need to announce that, I know, but this isn't about wanting anyone else to feel guilty of anything or like they are supposed to do anything. This is all supposed to be about awareness. I'm posting this simply to highlight that, because our experiences are so different, there's a lot that you might not be aware of. Whether you care or can be receptive of that and to what degree... I don't know. I guess, take it however ya like.
I'm sorry you had to post the above posts.

I want you to know that I appreciate what you have said and shared in this thread. I am also thankful for your perspective. Not only because it helped me and gave me some clarity, but because each of our experiences is unique and adds to the overall conversation.

The state of the world gives many of us pause to sit, reflect, and plan on how we can do better. All of us, not just me. I think I'm going to continue to do that.

Posting this comment right now, even this is really fucking tiring. Because, it's like a trap
Yeah, a few things. Dude I respect you and your passion, I am not going to speak for @gouis as he is more than capable of doing so himself, I want to apologize to you if you feel that I was being dismissive because that was not my intent. I respect Killer Mike and understand he is an important voice in this country especially right now. I think the internet can be hard place to interpret intent especially when trying to keep thing light with a little levity, My take was not that you should not watch the clip, my take was Skip Bayless sucks. I stated “take it however you’d like” because it seemed like you were coming in a bit hot on something that I perceived as a joke. I am not someone who is typically offended by much on internet but I think everyone’s sensitivity to hot button issues such as this is valid ergo “take it as you’d like” preface. I personally enjoy your voice, you are an eloquent writer and you write with great passion, that being said, when something or someone rubs you the wrong way you can go into a bit of an attack mode that is often not warranted. You are a good dude, someone I am sure I would enjoy having a conversation with over drinks. Maybe sometimes give yourself a beat before pressing “post reply” and see if what your adding to the conversation is worthwhile. Ask yourself who or what you are defending (again, the initial comments were about Bayless, not you) three maxed out posts explaining something isn’t so much a conversion as it is a diatribe. I apologize if this at all comes off harsh, again this isn’t personal just my observations, if you would like to reply to this comment I am open to a DM if you feel that would be more appropriate.

Yeah, a few things. Dude I respect you and your passion, I am not going to speak for @gouis as he is more than capable of doing so himself, I want to apologize to you if you feel that I was being dismissive because that was not my intent. I respect Killer Mike and understand he is an important voice in this country especially right now. I think the internet can be hard place to interpret intent especially when trying to keep thing light with a little levity, My take was not that you should not watch the clip, my take was Skip Bayless sucks. I stated “take it however you’d like” because it seemed like you were coming in a bit hot on something that I perceived as a joke. I am not someone who is typically offended by much on internet but I think everyone’s sensitivity to hot button issues such as this is valid ergo “take it as you’d like” preface. I personally enjoy your voice, you are an eloquent writer and you write with great passion, that being said, when something or someone rubs you the wrong way you can go into an a bit of an attack mode that is often not warranted. You are a good dude, someone I am sure I would enjoy having a conversation with over drinks. Maybe sometimes give yourself a beat before pressing “post reply” and see if what your adding to the conversation is worthwhile. Ask yourself who or what you are defending (again, the initial comments were about Bayless, not you) three maxed out posts explaining something isn’t so much a conversion as it is a diatribe. I apologize if this at all comes off harsh, again this isn’t personal just my observations, if you would like to reply to this comment I am open to a DM if you feel that would be more appropriate.
Yeah man I just wanted to make a glib comment (as is my wont) about how Skip Bayless sucks (as does Fox Sports). Nothing personal about anything.

There are plenty of other ways to hear Killer Mike speak and discuss important matters. I think the thing is most people forget responses on forums are responses to the content in them, not to the person posting them.

Mayor Muriel Bowser had Black Lives Matter painted on the road leading toward the White House. As my colleague @abbydphillip put it, @MayorBowser is not playing games.

I LOVE THIS!!!

But also, the budget for DC police is really out of control. Keep the foot on the gas all. The Mayor hears everything, but they need to do something about how much MORE money they are giving the DCPD next year.

Oops. Part 3

Thanks, MIke.

Just wanted to say I really appreciate everything you have shared in this thread. I can't even imagine what you and millions upon millions of others go through on a daily basis. I'm a white dude in my early 30's and I won't insult you by pretending to understand how terrifying and exhausting it all is.

Your perspective and others that have been shared here, along that Killer Mike interview have been really eye-opening for me (as are all interviews and speeches Killer Mike gives). It honestly never even crossed my mind how tiring it is to have white people ask you to educate them all the time. I've definitely done that before and didn't realize the effects of it until now. It has also been helpful to have @Teeeee @GritNGlitter and others recommend reading, things to watch and ways to better educate myself. I have also been passing those recommendations on to others whenever anybody shows signs that they actually want to put some work in instead of just going through the motions. We'll be watching The 13th tonight.

I completely understand your desire to get away from this thread but just know that your perspective has been appreciated by at least one person around here (and I suspect many more).

Well, my DC budget post was before I read through the rest. And now it seems callous. I apologize.

@Dead C - I also owe you an apology. I didn't watch the video you posted with Killer Mike (and I honestly don't even know who Skip Bayless is). I merely saw the title of it had something to do with Drew Brees and so I gave my opinion on him.

Your experiences and stories and view points are and continue to be very welcome in here. But I also understand if you are tired and exhausted and don't want to be in here.

White people - we need to recognize that we were raised, taught and live in a racist society. As a result, we ALL have parts of us that are racist. We have to work to unlearn that. We are going to mess up. We are going to make mistakes. Remain open to learning and criticism. Also remember: it is not black people's job to help us with that unlearning. We created this mess, let's make it better.

Well, my DC budget post was before I read through the rest. And now it seems callous. I apologize.
I think your budget post is valid where is the money going and what are they using it for is important.

Did you see where the entire Buffalo City Riot police squad of 57 officers resigned in protest after a couple cops were suspend while they investigate a horrific video of them shoving a 75 year-old protestor causing him to hit his head so hard on the cement that the guy had blood coming out of his ears and then instead of checking on him the just stepped over him and continued to “protect” the city? On one hand that is crazy they would all decide THIS is the issue they feel they need to protest but on the other hand, that is probably a good way to clear out a lot of the problem officers without much issue. Like, don’t let the door hit ya on the way out, shitheads!

I think your budget post is valid where is the money going and what are they using it for is important.

Did you see where the entire Buffalo City Riot police squad of 57 officers resigned in protest after a couple cops were suspend while they investigate a horrific video of them shoving a 75 year-old protestor causing him to hit his head so hard on the cement that the guy had blood coming out of his ears and then instead of checking on him the just stepped over him and continued to “protect” the city? On one hand that is crazy they would all decide THIS is the issue they feel they need to protest but on the other hand, that is probably a good way to clear out a lot of the problem officers without much issue. Like, don’t let the door hit ya on the way out, shitheads!
Yep. There Are No Good Cops: Exhibit Z

PART 2

I know there's a lot to unpack with all of this and I don't know if my presence is beneficial or not. My guess is that it is NOT; at least, as far as particular aims are concerned. On one hand, a group of white people discussing what they believe people of color must feel or what it must be like and analyzing us like an alien autopsy is not only cringe-inducing to me, but also the root of all of the problems in the first place. This deals with human nature, as much as anything exclusively racial, because those who are sincere will listen and those with egos who don't will always speak. So, if that one woman who was touting her "work" over my experience wasn't checked, a lot of people would have looked to her as the expert and been taken down a very dangerous path of good intentions. Their humility and her hubris is a dangerous combination.

So... as far as intentions, the black boxes on Tuesday were about intentions and a lot of people pull the "don't push allies away" card, when I questioned if it was actually hurting the cause more than helping. They want me to know that the gesture means something. The question is to who? To who does it means something? I could literally show people that when they posted it a child dies and some of them would still stand behind their intentions. I'm talking effects and results, and those who are real about shit will just respond with, "Sorry. I see what you're saying and I didn't mean to do that." and then try to be aware enough to fix it. A lot of people removed their hashtags to help. Again, they don't know what to do. It's confusing. So, I'm gonna leave this thread, and I'm going to leave with this: if you don't know what to do, listening is a good start. A lot of us have been telling you. And the reason that I said this is a trap is because, since we've been speaking forever with no one listening, it can seems very positive, if not exciting, that people are listening now. So, while it isn't our responsibility, when someone asks, there is a compulsion to want to help and want to explain and be willing to. When you put that out there and do that and it's dismissed.. fuck it. Why waste the fucking energy?

As far as this Skip Bayless shit goes, the intention might be cheeky, but it's not cheeky to me. It's something I tried to contribute and the response was literally, "no need to watch this. It's guaranteed to be a bad take and a waste of time." And what's sure to follow is what always follows, an explanation of intention, with no acknowledgment of the results. And that's why I'm out, because it's not productive. Nobody in here wants to feel lectured by my presence, but, anyone in here who feels lost and continues down this path to understanding in this area, will ultimately discover that the response of feeling lectured or defensive, is a HUGE component to this.

As minorities, we know we are the minority. And just like I'm forced to spend my life making sure that other people are comfortable with my existence around them, they are aware that, because of that established dynamic, they don't ever really have to feel like they are required to do the same for me. An excuse for why you do something, is nothing more than an excuse for why you should have been able to do it and why you should be able to continue. It's a lot different than, "Sorry. I was making a bad joke about Skip Bayless, because I don't like the guy, but I didn't mean to dismiss your post. I checked it out and it's actually really informative stuff others might find value in." Other people can benefit from what's in there and this thread isn't like others... or, maybe it is. I'm not the one who made it, after all, so I can't speak to its intentions. I can, however, speak on the fact that, as a minority, once the white cavalry starts showing up to defend something, just because I express how something struck me negatively -- basically, defending the right to reject awareness, or consideration -- that shit goes Deliverance vibes really quick, and I'm hopping the fuck out.

On the VMP forum there was once a situation where someone mentioned how the term "people of color" wasn't one that they particularly enjoyed. I didn't want to leave them hanging, when I feel the same way, so I let them know that I wasn't a big fan of the term, either. Right then, @Tillman chimed in to state that he didn't mean any disrespect by using it, but he didn't know what term was best, and asked if there was something better. There was no argument. I told him that it's a difficult situation and most of us don't really know either. It might be the best we've got. I still really appreciate that and remember. I knew the intention was good and I appreciated him even giving a shit. We resolved it before there was anything to even resolve. It was a fruitful conversation among human beings. I can't remember who came in next, but they decided to let all the black and brown people know that it's an agreed upon term to use and they had several articles written by white intellectuals and history to prove it. Someone just couldn't help themselves and NEEDED their voice to be in a conversation. I asked them not to resurrect an evil zombie that was already put down, but our feelings and voices always take a back seat and were drown out. They wouldn't let it go. More and more people decided to discuss us around us, to speak with us in that space, but not acknowledge our actual feelings or presence. They stared around trying to crack a riddle, while we were telling them the answer. We were told that the conversation deserved to continue. It was a ROTM guess thread.

And that's what I realize now in just typing that. This is a white space. It's a space for you and you have a right to that. And so, in the end, I'm actually apologizing... again. But, sincerely. I'm not trying to come lecture you in your space, but here's where I lay out my intention -- and I'm sure that you can understand my confusion -- but I mistakenly thought I saw a place for brown voices, so I wandered in.
huh? what did I just get dragged into? do I need to hide in a bunker?!?

Last edited:

The man was trying to return a helmet to them. And those 57 showed their true colors. It's unreal.
Yep. There Are No Good Cops: Exhibit Z

You mean exhibit zzzzzzzz? We've had to go through the alphabet too many times by now.

huh? what did I just get dragged into? do I need to hide in a bunker?!?

Don't hide. we're having really good conversations in here that are going to effect positive change in each of us.
My initial thought is the NFL Commish and owners can fuck right off but also take a deep breath and concede it’s better late than never I suppose, maybe now they can stop colluding and give Kap a fair shot to earn a roster spot.

Yep, they can fuck ALL the way off. And then go find more ways and fuck off of them too.

Immediately hire kap back. Immediately admit guilt to colluding and pay the judgment. Immediately donate MILLIONS to BLM. Immediately end stadium contracts with police.

Then come back and try that apology again, goodell, you clown.

Back